Is baking with fructose safe ?

fizzy-banana

I just got a pack from the store.

I know it's supposed to be bad for the liver if consumed in large quantity but I intend to only use it once a week or so.

I don't really like erythritol's cooling effect, plus it's rather expensive. And I love baking so much ...
What do you think ?

I also read acacia honey was mainly constituted of fructose which resulted in a low glycemic index.
Did anyone ever experience this ?

Thank you :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just got a pack from the store.

I know it's supposed to be bad for the liver if consumed in large quantity but I intend to only use it once a week or so.

I don't really like erythritol's cooling effect, plus it's rather expensive. But I love baking so much ...

What do you think ? :)
Its solid carbohydrate - can't you find an artificial sweetener to use instead?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You mean it still raises blood sugar ?
I thought his regulation was not insulin-dependent and it had little effect on blood sugar
It may not raise blood GLUCOSE levels being fructose but for a type 2 it adds to the problems with the liver and is a really bad idea imo. Honey is pure carb and also a bad idea for the same reasons. Wouldn’t touch either with a barge pole.

There are loads of sweeteners out there. Surely one of them works. If you don’t like erythritol on its own a (it tastes different in baking to a hot drink) a popular solution is mixing it with stevia. Or try xylitol. Slightly higher chance of a bgl response but not much. Then there’s the artificial options. Just pick one without maltodextrin or dextrose as a bulking agent as they will likely cause a rise. All are cheaper bought online than in a supermarket

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Your profile doesn't say whether you are actually T2 Diabetic or pre-diabetic.
If neither then perhaps your body can cope with fructose.
Your name suggests that you love high fructose tropical fruit which in others may cause fatty liver.
You love baking - I love downhill skiing, especially out of control, its so exciting despite the risk!

fizzy-banana

Your profile doesn't say whether you are actually T2 Diabetic or pre-diabetic.
If neither then perhaps your body can cope with fructose.
Your name suggests that you love high fructose tropical fruit which in others may cause fatty liver.
You love baking - I love downhill skiing, especially out of control, its so exciting despite the risk!

Actually my mother is T2, which is why I want to cut the carbs now to delay it as much as possible.
When she was diagnosed, she did have a fatty liver and was overweight but she watched her diet and everything is back under control

I wanted to try fructose in baking because I eat a very small amount of it anyway : almost no fruits, I prefer vegetables and I avoid processed food (apart from my occasional homemade cakes of course ...).
My username isn't accurate :)

My BMI is 20, triglycerides are at the lower end of normal, HDL is 0,6 g/l. I don't remember but I don't have much LDL either, so I guess my liver is fine for now ?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually my mother is T2, which is why I want to cut the carbs now to delay it as much as possible.
When she was diagnosed, she did have a fatty liver and was overweight but she watched her diet and everything is back under control

I wanted to try fructose in baking because I eat a very small amount of it anyway : almost no fruits, I prefer vegetables and I avoid processed food (apart from my occasional homemade cakes of course ...).
My username isn't accurate :)

My BMI is 20, triglycerides are at the lower end of normal, HDL is 0,6 g/l. I don't remember but I don't have much LDL either, so I guess my liver is fine for now ?
If your mother has type 2 and a history of fatty liver fructose is not her friend. Explore some of the other options for baking would be my advice. But I love the fact you are doing the research and trying to help her.

fizzy-banana

If your mother has type 2 and a history of fatty liver fructose is not her friend. Explore some of the other options for baking would be my advice. But I love the fact you are doing the research and trying to help her.

Indeed, she adopted a strict low carb diet a few months ago and I had no intention to make her consume fructose. I was suggesting it for me

I do appreciate making research for her
In fact, I found a great basic loaf recipe that I will probably share on this site, you can put anything you want in it (olives, feta, asparagus, salmon, sun dried tomatoes or whatever ...) and it's made from lupine (very low carb and high fiber content), chickpea, a bit of whole spelt flour and vital wheat gluten to give it structure
It tastes great :) Even my roommate loved it
Of course, you would have to experiment but I found it didn't raise my blood sugar, like, at all

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed, she adopted a strict low carb diet a few months ago and I had no intention to make her consume fructose. I was suggesting it for me

I do appreciate making research for her
In fact, I found a great basic loaf recipe that I will probably share on this site, you can put anything you want in it (olives, feta, asparagus, salmon, sun dried tomatoes or whatever ...) and it's made from lupine (very low carb and high fiber content), chickpea, a bit of whole spelt flour and vital wheat gluten to give it structure
It tastes great :) Even my roommate loved it
Of course, you would have to experiment but I found it didn't raise my blood sugar, like, at all
Ah sorry I was confused. Personally I wouldn’t give fructose as an added ingredient to my non diabetic family for all the same reasons but it’s your body your choice. I wouldn’t expect to see much rise from a non diabetic as that’s the whole point. A non diabetic can regulate their bgl back to normal rapidly.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In what way is fructose any different from ordinary white sugar in terms of carbs and insulin response?

eta: I keep hearing that fruit sugar (fructose) is ok for type 2 diabetics as it acts differently, but I cant find any info to prove that.

fizzy-banana

Fructose doesn't trigger an insulin response, it's metabolized by the liver
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714385/

"Fructose stimulates only modest insulin secretion and does not require the presence of insulin to enter cells (2). Avidly taken up by hepatic cells, fructose is rapidly converted to fructose-1-phosphate and bypasses the early, rate-limiting steps of glucose metabolism."

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In what way is fructose any different from ordinary white sugar in terms of carbs and insulin response?

eta: I keep hearing that fruit sugar (fructose) is ok for type 2 diabetics as it acts differently, but I cant find any info to prove that.
As above, and also the fact that it is the liver doing the processing and storage of excess means that the storage as fat. is also done in the liver contributing to fatty liver disease which contributes to type 2.

It’s because it doesn’t raise bgl that sometimes it’s considered safe for diabetics but that ignores the liver component of the argument.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As above, and also the fact that it is the liver doing the processing and storage of excess means that the storage as fat. is also done in the liver contributing to fatty liver disease which contributes to type 2.

It’s because it doesn’t raise bgl that sometimes it’s considered safe for diabetics but that ignores the liver component of the argument.
Thank you. I had a feeling that fructose has an indirect affect on blood sugars. Fatty liver = more insulin resistance, if i remember correctly.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fructose doesn't trigger an insulin response, it's metabolized by the liver
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714385/

"Fructose stimulates only modest insulin secretion and does not require the presence of insulin to enter cells (2). Avidly taken up by hepatic cells, fructose is rapidly converted to fructose-1-phosphate and bypasses the early, rate-limiting steps of glucose metabolism."
This link you posted is full of warnings that should not be ignored if you have any tendency toward diabetes. The inferred danger is that while glucose storage is rate limited and metabolically controlled, the storage of fructose as fat is unlimited, uncontrolled, and avidly grabbed by the adipose cells. It's a get-fat quick recipe in other words. Not only that, the fat cells storing this carbfest are all over the body, but are especially clustered around the midriff. The liver and pancreas are adipose tissue which is particularly dangerous for T2D since this interferes with the insulin production that we need. You will be storing up problems for the future, which IMO is not a bon idee.

As an aside, I note your HDL is on the bottom rung for normal, and if your LDL-C is also low, then although these are still OK, it shows you are not using or burning lipid fat so anything stored in the liver now will remain there and not get emptied normally. I presume you are also on an ultra low fat diet too, but fructose will circumvent your efforts in that respect. It is like Monopoly - go to jail do not pass go BUT collect 200 lbs on the way.

Acacia honey is not Low GI at all, and it is still pure sugar. Google <<< carb content of honey >>> then compare it to granulated sugar.

Reactions: HSSS

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You mean it still raises blood sugar ?
I thought his regulation was not insulin-dependent and it had little effect on blood sugar
Fructose is the 'dangerous' part of table sugar, and the bit that makes it sweet, in the sense that it goes straight to the liver to be turned into fat thus increasing insulin resistance but not mitigated by fibre. I don't think this is an acute problem so not ''dangerous' in the sense that you'd see bgs shoot up but this isn't a natural whole food and is probably best avoided by anyone with insulin resistance. I hope you can find a different substitute to both this and honey like xylitol though it is hard to find something that sweetens but has the same chemical action for baking!

fizzy-banana

This link you posted is full of warnings that should not be ignored if you have any tendency toward diabetes. The inferred danger is that while glucose storage is rate limited and metabolically controlled, the storage of fructose as fat is unlimited, uncontrolled, and avidly grabbed by the adipose cells. It's a get-fat quick recipe in other words. Not only that, the fat cells storing this carbfest are all over the body, but are especially clustered around the midriff. The liver and pancreas are adipose tissue which is particularly dangerous for T2D since this interferes with the insulin production that we need. You will be storing up problems for the future, which IMO is not a bon idee.

As an aside, I note your HDL is on the bottom rung for normal, and if your LDL-C is also low, then although these are still OK, it shows you are not using or burning lipid fat so anything stored in the liver now will remain there and not get emptied normally. I presume you are also on an ultra low fat diet too, but fructose will circumvent your efforts in that respect. It is like Monopoly - go to jail do not pass go BUT collect 200 lbs on the way.

Acacia honey is not Low GI at all, and it is still pure sugar. Google <<< carb content of honey >>> then compare it to granulated sugar.

Thank you for your elaborate reply
You're right, I did some more research and figured fructose was a bad idea for the reasons you mentioned ...
Yes, my LDL is low but the comment you made about my HDL levels being on the bottom range of normal concerned me, so I upped my fatty fish consumption these last few weeks and I will see if it has an impact on my next blood test.

Anyway, I am still monitoring my sugar intake using cronometer. I allow myself to have one or two high carbs meals per week because frustration leads to compulsion in my case :facepalm:
I only eat acacia honey once or twice a month though
And I usually test my BS 1 and 2 hours after those high carbs meals.

I find the results inconsistants.
For instance, I ate a whole homemade pizza Friday night (with plenty of cheese and vegetables) and by BS was 6.2 an hour after
I did not bother measuring it at the 2 hours mark since it was quite low already

This morning, I ate a porridge made with oats, milk, peaches, mango and honey (one tbsp)
An hour after, my BS was 7 :shifty:
I will let you know how it is after 2 hours

Anyway, I don't understand, I would have thought the pizza was way more carb-heavy than this breakfast. I never eat breakfast by the way, I just saw a appetizing porridge recipe on the internet and wanted to give it a try
Maybe it's just that my carb tolerance is impaired in the morning ?
I read it was often the case

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would have thought the pizza was way more carb-heavy than this breakfast.

You might find that the fat in the cheese has led to a lower but longer spike.. the so called "pizza effect" you may have also found your BG was higher after 2 hours but we'll never know..High fat meals with carbs have been known to delay the rise in BG levels..

fizzy-banana

You might find that the fat in the cheese has led to a lower but longer spike.. the so called "pizza effect" you may have also found your BG was higher after 2 hours but we'll never know..High fat meals with carbs have been known to delay the rise in BG levels..
You're right, I should have taken my BS after the 2 hours mark That's too bad
I'll do it the next time ...

Should I avoid eating porridge in the morning ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're right, I should have taken my BS after the 2 hours mark That's too bad
I'll do it the next time ...

Should I avoid eating porridge in the morning ?
Beware the Mango and peaches. Tropical fruit especially canned in syrup are a no-no for most of us. Frozen berries such as summer fruits are possibly a better bet and keep well in the freezer. Yogurt may be an idea instead of milk, but avoid those ones with cartoon characters in their advertising.

Oats as has been discussed are problematic for most T2D. The LC diet section has recipes for low-carb porridges based on seeds rather than grains. If you must have oats go for the old-fashioned milled oats rather than the modern 4 minute processed pap. Cuppa porridge might be more convenient but has very little nutrition in the way of fibre and vitamins. PS as a follow on thought, smoothies are not very good for us either due to the overprocessing involved.

Testing at 2hr and 4 hr should be adequate to catch the protein/ pizza effect for most meals. The spike at 1 hr is not really of interest unless it is still there at 2hrs.

Reactions: HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Many years ago fructose was recommended for T2s, but not now. It is just sugar derived from fruit, ordinary sugar is from sugar cane (stems) or sugar beets, bred to have a higher sugar content than naturally occurring.
A slight difference in the way they are metabolised but both are sugar.
Have you tried truvia?