1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is carb intake related to exercise in anyway?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by chani111, Oct 20, 2021.

1. chani111

chani111 · Active Member

Hi
    I am presently keeping my carbs below 60 and my bloods are averaging 5.8. I notice that some people eat a lot more carbs but exercise loads. Unfortunately I can’t so am I always going to have to give up porridge and potatoes?
    Thank you

2. LaoDan

LaoDan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, I pretty much only eat carbs around exercising. Even then I only have just enough for fuel. 40-60 grams is enough for me.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. alanboo

alanboo Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me if i take carbs before exercise and then burn them out it keeps my levels pretty stable, i have this food insight feature in my CGM app linkblucon which shows me real time effect of exercise , carbs on my sugars..so taking carbs before exercise works for me well.

4. Trevor vP

Trevor vP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That question can have a complex answer

If you look at the simple version of Zone method of training just with HR not power or pace.

Take Percentage of HRmax
    Zone 1 Very light 50–60%
    Zone 2 Light 60–70%
    Zone 3 Moderate 70–80%
    Zone 4 Hard 80–90%
    Zone 5 Maximum 90–100%

Z2-This is the zone that improves your general endurance: your body will get better at oxidizing – burning – fat and your muscular fitness will increase along with your capillary density.

Z4- If you train at this intensity, you’ll improve your speed endurance. Your body will get better at using carbohydrates for energy and you’ll be able to withstand higher levels of lactic acid in your blood for longer.

So for long Endurance events we try train and stay in Z2 a lots and compete as much as possible in Z2, so not burn the carbs that we need say for a big hill that will have our HR up/ power up. This way we can do pretty long distance events on pretty low Carbs.

Hope that sort of answers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. catinahat

catinahat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think that one of the biggest mistakes we can make is comparing ourselves to other T2's. We are all different, have different metabolisms, different degrees of insulin resistance and other health issues that mean it's impossible to burn off the sugar from excess carbs.
    We can only play the cards we've been dealt, there is no point in trying to play someone else's hand. If you need to say goodbye to porridge and spuds then so be it, you can always console yourself by saying hello to Bacon, sausage, eggs, buttered mushrooms, buttered vegetables, steak and lots of other delicious things you can have

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Your body is yours, no one else's. You need to work out a way of eating for your body, for life
    Although at is possible to get type 2 numbers back to remission level numbers, they won't stay there if you then resume a heavy (for you) carb consuming way of eating.
    So use your bg meter so see what certain foods do to your body, and remember, diabetes, and bodies can and do change over time, so if potatoes don't spike you now, they may well do in the future and vice versa.

7. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Carbs aren't necessary for exercise is the top line with the exception of those who are doing high explosive power (sprints for example) who may benefit from some 'rocket fuel'.
    Carbs are stored as glucose in the form of glycogen so if you ate carbs then exercised afterwards you could empty the muscle supplies and thus be less likely to jack up insulin levels and store carbs as fat. A long walk or cycle or run helps here.
    The 2nd part is that if you have more muscle then you will be more insulin sensitive so you simply have more storage capacity for the carbs you eat (you store it as glycogen in the muscles). This is part of the reason why getting older and losing muscles means it is harder to keep insulin sensitive hence the path to type 2 diabetes.
    If you have chosen to forgo carbs to keep on top of blood sugars that will do a lot of the work but adding in a 3-4 steady efforts plus some resistance work for your large muscles will be helpful too (x2 a week). Obviously has loads of health benefits beyond this though weight loss is NOT one of them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

I don't exercise. Like you I can't because of another condition. But I had porridge for breakfast today, and potatoes for lunch. FBG yesterday 5.3

• Like Like x 1
  9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

We are all different. As you will see, the majority on here control our condition through testing with our meters and tailoring our carb intake to our personal results.

I can't exercise, so have successfully controlled my diabetes through carb management and monitoring only for over a decade.

Some posters eat more carbs than me, others eat less. Individual safe carb amounts to give control is the key.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook