Is cinnamon stick lowers blood sugar and helps maintaining it

biren1973

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I came from some articles that cinnamon sticks help lowering blood sugar and helps maintaining it. Has anyone tried this?

Regards
Biren

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
There is ongoing research that has shown cinnamon does indeed help to lower blood glucose. The boffins do not know exactly why this is so but no doubt some enterprising druggist will isolate the compound resposible and make £$squillions selling it.
At my last reading, the jury is still out on the effects of turmeric on bg.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was talking to a T2 diabetic earlier this year, not on the forum I must stress, who's father, also a T2 diabetic had been on a trial involving cinnamon.
Obviously this was just an informal chat , but this guy told me that whilst on the trial involving cinnamon his fathers BS had improved considerably.
The trial as far as I was aware was up in the Newcastle area of the country.
Can't really tell you anymore than that.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Has anyone tried this?

I've tried taking curcumin supplements and although it didn't do much for me, I'd be very interested in the outcome of proper clinical research. It's going to behave differently from person to person and as far as my anecdotal evidence is concerned, I'd be worried about the efficacy of the particular product and it's strength in forming any conclusion.

You might have to try it and see.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis I have gone back to my normal diet - not the 'Cholesterol lowering' one I was on for almost 2 years - and which did not work.
I usually use quite a few spices, and I have brought out the percolator and now have real coffee, and add a small pinch of cinnamon and a tiny amount of salt in hot weather.
I make curries with turmeric, which has to be cooked, and I have cumin, which doesn't so I add it to some of the mayonnaise I make.
My return to normal test results was pretty swift - it might have something to do with the spices.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I sprinkle cinnamon on my coffee sometimes I also use turmeric, cumin and fenugreek in cooking various dishes.

Reactions: EmyJ

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
India masala chai tea, turmeric, cinammon and ginger in copious amounts each day.

There has been research done by Prof Robert Thomas on Turmeric and pomi-t dried food vitamin has now been made from that research. It was in relation to cancer though.

Ref cinnamon there was an article that my diabetes educator emailed me a long time ago that said it was unproved in research but no reason not to eat it..

There will never be good research on herbs and souces because nobody can make a lot of money...

Look up youtube Prof Thomas 2014. There is a talk on it. Things have moved on since then and he is really putting turmeric as top of list and a certain probiotic only if natural keffir sort of natural probiotics arent ate.

He is a campaigner on improving insulin resistance.

Nothing specific for me ref anything specific helping bloods as I've been a bit up and down with health. However my soecial teas are definitely proven by hubby n me to help fight infections. He not drink and got serious virus. I drank it and never got ill. He now drinks it!!

EmyJ

A few studies have indicated that cinnamon minimally improves blood glucose, triglyceride, and cholesterol levels in people with type 2 diabetes. 1/2 teaspoon per day.This amount of cinnamon can be combined in foods such as applesauce or yogurt. More research is needed before conclusions

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is why i make spiced coffee , cofee, cocoa, cinammon, turmeric, pepper , nutmeg , good green stuff Lots of good ingredients plus tastes good

Reactions: donnellysdogs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I also drink tea made from the Mallow plant as it is one herb with proven benefits it is high an antioxidants, is antibiotic and anti inflammatory and has been shown in animal tests to reduce BG levels.

Tracie1212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I sprinkle cinnamon on my shredded wheat with warm milk every morning. I have noticed that I definitely feel better the following day after eating korma curry. Looked at the ingredients but there are so many listed. I am a great believer that spices work for me but still trying to work through exactly what they are. I bought turmeric supplement but no change. Also invested in bag of mixed spice but again no change. I've tried different teas but not chai tea so that's next on my list. I live in hope may find the spice balance that works for me. Hope you all find yours too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I sprinkle cinnamon on my shredded wheat with warm milk every morning. I have noticed that I definitely feel better the following day after eating korma curry. Looked at the ingredients but there are so many listed. I am a great believer that spices work for me but still trying to work through exactly what they are. I bought turmeric supplement but no change. Also invested in bag of mixed spice but again no change. I've tried different teas but not chai tea so that's next on my list. I live in hope may find the spice balance that works for me. Hope you all find yours too.

Turmeric supplements are shown to be less effective... or not effective...
needs to be the powder with food, fat and black pepper.

In pomi-t supplements the turmeric is powder not compressed..