Is diabetes a Cardiovascular disease?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I sort of agree with you @bulkbiker except -- and this is the key to my response

Quoted from cherry

"I would put things slightly differently.

I would say that both diabetes and cardiovascular disease are a consequence of high insulin. Diabetes shows up when the levels of high insulin have caused so much insulin resistance that you can no longer control your blood sugars with it."

the OP has not differentiated between types and has been posting on the forum with her views on "total Insulin" in both types.
this thread is not in a type 2 subforum and many will read it ( both type 1 and 2 )

the OP needs to be aware of the different types and moderate responses appropriate to type where appropriate.

you @bulkbiker will be aware that cross posting has been made a feature of our forum -- but awareness of other types should ( and must ) be built into all our replies .

edited to add -- @DCUKMod must have been in response as I was responding -- hope we are all clear going forward

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Totally true . - yep the poster had stated he was type 2 and talked about the link between CVD and Type 2 hence my response that I think the two are connected but not necessarily because either causes the other.

The poster's medical professional had said that type 2 was a cardiovascular disease, whilst that does not appear to be true, I can understand why she might make such a statement erroneuosly, simply because there is a lot of evidence linking the two, hence linking the two in my response.

Thank you for clarifying the context of your response. As this thread sits in a general part of the site (Greetings and Introductions, which is absolutely fine), rather than a T1 one or T2 area, it might be helpful if you would consider amending your earlier post to save any further concern or confusion?

Nobody likes confusion.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited to say, I reckon @himtoo posted as I was writing my own response. :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for clarifying the context of your response. As this thread sits in a general part of the site (Greetings and Introductions, which is absolutely fine), rather than a T1 one or T2 area, it might be helpful if you would consider amending your earlier post to save any further concern or confusion?

Nobody likes confusion.

Thanks in anticipation

Edited to say, I reckon @himtoo posted as I was writing my own response. :)

I've added it in as requested to the original post :)

Banting_Coach

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Sugars, Carbs, wrong information about foods
Hi. Try to avoid this nurse in the future as she obviously hasn't a clue. Diabetes is a condition where the body is unable to metabolise glucose properly. In some ways it's that simple and in others ways it can lead to endless problems if not managed of which CVD is just one and only if the diabetes isn't managed.
Agreed! Unfortunately there still are many in the medical profession that have the "old" views that were taught. Best is to look around for more modern medical outlook practitioners.

M

Member34835

Diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance as is CVD in most cases abd there is a very high crossover between the 2 populations but if you can reverse the diabetes you can reduce your risk Note that taking lots of diabetes meds to get great bgs or HBA1c has been shiwn to have no effect on CVD because it does not treat the root cause i- insujin resistance. So I think the nurse is right even if the conventional advice is not heloful.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
type 2 Diabetes is a disease of insulin resistance as is CVD in most cases abd there is a very high crossover between the 2 populations but if you can reverse type 2 diabetes you can reduce your risk. So I think the nurse is right even if the conventional advice is not heloful.

Edited to amend, given that you had quite clearly paid no attention to post #14 or #21 of this thread. Type 1 diabetes is not a disease of insulin resistance, it's an autoimmune disease. Type 1 diabetes makes up 10% of the diabetes population. Please differentiate between types of diabetes if the statements you are making are wholly inapplicable to other types of diabetes.

The only thing causing my risk of CVD would be high blood sugar, so correctly taking insulin to control blood sugar would ameliorate the risk. Although acutely low blood sugar probably does cause some cardio risks of arythmia and hypoglycaemic induced hypovolaemia causing long q t waves...

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a relationship between heart attacks and glucose spikes. See ...

There is a pie chart around 12:25 into the video which shows that in a study 50% of people with CVD had glucose spikes plus 30% had diabetes (and probably had glucose spikes because of that), leaving 20% who had "normal" blood sugars.

The video does explain that glucose spikes cause calcification of the arteries via the production of reactive oxygen which results in inflammation of the arteries which is then fixed by cholesterol. The solution is not to reduce cholesterol, but to remove the cause of inflammation, which is glucose spikes. Glucose spikes also causes Alzheimers and cancer.