Is Diabetes UK dumbing down too far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngrain

Dear Diabetes UK

I was diagnosed with type 1 about twelve years ago. Almost immediately I became a life member of what was then the BDA (was it?). Over the years I've seen a few redesigns of Balance and noticed quite a few changes. Visually they have mostly been an improvement, or at least have kept the journal looking modern. But at the same time it's become editorially more chatty, more jaunty even with less emphasise on hard facts and fewer long articles of any depth. Of course I understand the reason for that and the need to appeal to younger readers, but for me that's been a bit of a shame. I find there's not so much for me to read, and most often it now gets skimmed and dumped.
The website too, certainly on the home page, is full of eye catching banners and adds all competing for attention. It is starting to look very commercially brash and not always easy to look at.

All that's a bit of a shame, but isn't really anything to worry about as such.
But then I got the latest newsletter. With the headline '1 in 5 have Diabetes' and '20% with Diabetes' in the subject line of the email. Very eye-catching.

The repetition of the statistic is interesting as it means it is clearly deliberate. But it is false. Not to put too fine a point on it, it's a lie. Read on in the newsletter and you quickly see that the numbers refer to 'hospital patients' only.
Obviously the headlines are meant to grab our attention and get us to read further, as it did with me. But playing about with the truth like this is a dangerous route. Some will only have read the headline after all, and will have gone away with the wrong information. And do this kind of thing too often and we will no longer be able to trust Diabetes UK to be the one place we can turn to for the unvarnished truth and the facts about our condition.

It's difficult not to feel that since I received my first issue of Balance it's been a continuous process of popularisation that has now changed your editorial policy to the point where strict adherence to facts can be 'flexible'.

I'm not against popularisation, even when I don't like it personally, but I worry that if this process continues with examples like the one above, it will eventually undermine all the core values that brought Diabetes Uk into being in the first place.

With concern
JohnG

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
I am not quite sure who this is aimed at ? :?

This is Diabetes.co.uk. We do not have any connection with DUK (Diabetes UK).

Speaking regarding the newsletterfrom Diabetes.co.uk....I get that and my main heading states this:

1 in 5 has diabetes
According to a national audit of NHS healthcare facilities, 1 in 5 hospital patients has diabetes. The figure, which is twice as high as previously thought, highlights just how widespread the diabetes epidemic has become. The enormous increase in numbers is thought to be down to soaring levels of obesity.

I thought personally that it is immediately apparent when opening the e-mail that the statement refers to Hospital Patients only. No ambiguity. My e-mails are set up to give the content as well as the heading, so I don't have to delve into stuff ! As for the comments regarding the main Community pages, that is a business site and this Forum is run totally separately from it.

I will pass this post on to the Administrator for his attention.

Balance is a DUK publication and is also nothing whatsoever to do with Diabetes.co.uk. They have their own website which might be the best place to address your concerns about that. Personally, I am a member of DUK as well. I enjoy reading through Balance and find many articles useful and thought provoking at times.

This Forum prides itself on sticking to the Facts and is not responsible for what takes place elsewhere. That is why we are now probably the biggest and best Forum in the UK, with many satisfied members.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi John G,

Thankyou for your comments. I'd like to make it perfectly clear that this website (diabetes.co.uk) has nothing to do with Diabetes UK, the diabetes charity. This is a privately owned community website.

However, your comments regarding the newsletter have been taken on board, and I do sympathise with them to some extent. This will be discussed with the newsletter team, although I would have thought that the first sentence makes the crux of the story apparent. I don't think this is a deliberate attempt to mislead, more an attempt to make a headline fit within the constraints of email delivery.

We hope that the forum and site continues to have some use for you,

Regards,

Admin

johngrain

Yes, well I sure shot myself in the foot there. Indeed I WAS confused between DUK and Dco.uk.
And that neatly looks after my comments about Balance and your homepage.

However I still think that my comment about the newsletter stands. And to be honest, what you say about constraints of space isn't credible.
You can easily fit '20% of hospital patients have diabetes' in the subject line and there is virtually no limit for the newsletter headline. The reason you didn't was for the sake of 'drama'. But as I also said originally, I agree that the true context becomes obvious almost immediately if you bother to read on. My main point is not so much with the individual instance, as with the approach that made it possible. It's a fine line to tread and I felt you just crossed onto the wrong side of it. I may be wrong, but if I've made you give it some thought I'm not unhappy.

JohnG

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi John
I'm an active member of Diabetes UK as well as this forum and I take your point about dumbing down.
Balance does have to appeal to a wide readership and I think it does a fairly good job.
The trouble I find is that so many diabetics are not prpared to be pro-active in their own care and thus don't want loads of scientific papers to read. They like to be given recipes for sweet stuff and told they can eat it( which most of this forum's members wouldn't) and the advertising revenue probably goes back in to diabetes research. DUK is pretty ethical. If wrong on diet :x
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hanadr said:
The trouble I find is that so many diabetics are not prepared to be pro-active in their own care and thus don't want loads of scientific papers to read. They like to be given recipes for sweet stuff and told they can eat it( which most of this forum's members wouldn't)
Hana

Hana,

I find the above comment by yourself rather offensive. To make such a sweeping generalization of the readership of Balance by implying that they are not interested in their own health, uneducated and live on a diet of sweet food, which by the way is my interpretation of what you have written, is unforgivable.

I like many others on this forum are members of Diabetes UK, and receive the issue of Balance as part of our membership. Now, I can't speak for everyone, and I may not be as well educated as yourself, but I can say that I know many people with diabetes, who are not members of this forum, who are equally or better educated that you are, and are active in their own diabetes management and maintain good control following the mainstream diet (not sweet stuff as you imply).

Again Hana, it would seem that you have taken the moral high ground once more! I am sure that I am not alone, by saying that I am tired of reading your self-opinionated posts on here.

Nigel

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
I was beginning to wonder how long I'd have to wait to see my first forum "Tiff".

23 days, not bad at all. :wink:

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
Ardbeg said:
I was beginning to wonder how long I'd have to wait to see my first forum "Tiff".

23 days, not bad at all. :wink:

stick around, you'll see many, many more :wink: 8)

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
My DN and her team advised me that 80% of diabetics fail to gain control. My GP's DN told me that they get so frustrated by the number of people who do not take on board the seriousness of their condition, fail to take meds etc etc. I attended a Diabetes Xpert patients course where the attitude and commitment of fellow patients was to say the least appalling. This is a very sorry state of affairs, which in my very humble opinion, neither the NHS or DUK are getting to grips with. I sympathise with the view that many diabetics will continue to buy diabetic products because Boots say they taste lovely and are good for them, even though they would be better off eating sugar cubes. If this is offensive then we need many many more people to be offended!!.

Steve.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
I can totally see your point regarding dumbing-down with regards to the Balance publication. I remember a few years ago being annoyed that I could no longer buy this from my local newsagent. However since becoming a member in '08 and receiving a complimentary copy, I think the decision to remove it from newsagents' shelves was a wise one.
In the most recent issue there's an article from a guy diagnosed in 1997 with diabetes-not a mention of whether it is type-1 or 2. Statements like "diabetes affects 246 million people worldwide......etc"& "2.6 million people have been diagnosed with diabetes in the UK. By 2025 there will be 4 million people with diabetes in the UK"-again no mention of what type they are referring to. There is enough confusion amongst the general population, do Diabetes UK think the people are too stupid to know or be able to understand the difference??
A recent recipe in Balance for Christmas pudding ice-cream left me aghast-not only did it contain caster sugar, but custard powder and a shop bought, sugar containing Christmas pudding!
It frustrates me that it is rarely mentioned in Balance articles, what type of insulin the person is taking when it is so crucial a tool in the individuals' diabetes management.
I personally feel that a newly diagnosed person, type-1 or 2, could learn more about their condition spending 5 minutes on this forum, than 20 years reading Balance. Hence I am no longer a DUK member.
Jus

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
noblehead said:
hanadr said:
Hana,
I find the above comment by yourself rather offensive. To make such a sweeping generalization of the readership of Balance by implying that they are not interested in their own health, uneducated and live on a diet of sweet food, which by the way is my interpretation of what you have written, is unforgivable.
Nigel

Wow, some people get so easily offended! Now I interpreted Hana's response, quite differently. I did not think she was referring specifically to Balance readers, just the majority of diabetics. That has been my experience too. Which is why I enjoy coming to forums such as this one as the people here are questing for knowledge, other peoples experiences and their support. The forum people are open to making changes if it benefits their health.

Here you can ask what you think might appear as a stupid question if you took it along to your HCP and nobody (mostly) thinks you are stupid here.
Alison

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Alison,

Each to their own, if you were not offended that's great! :)

However, should you read Hana's reply again, you will see she is refering to the readership of Balance, after all this is the focus of discussion on this thread. I am afraid that you couldn't be more wrong with regards to me being easily offended.

Regards

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

I agree with you Nigel.

There are some people who refuse to own their diabetes but you cannot lump all readers of Balance together. You don't have to be a member of a forum either, as was suggested. There are a lot of people who manage their diabetes well, do not belong to a forum and read Balance.

Catherine.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Catherine,

It would seem that I am not alone after all. I think that some members disengage their brain when they hit the keyboard to start typing.

Sometimes it is better to say nothing, than come out with the usual dribble.

Nigel

banjo brunette

clearviews said:
noblehead said:
hanadr said:
Hana,
Nigel

Wow, some people get so easily offended! Now I interpreted Hana's response, quite differently. I did not think she was referring specifically to Balance readers, just the majority of diabetics. That has been my experience too. Which is why I enjoy coming to forums such as this one as the people here are questing for knowledge, other peoples experiences and their support. The forum people are open to making changes if it benefits their health.

Here you can ask what you think might appear as a stupid question if you took it along to your HCP and nobody (mostly) thinks you are stupid here.
Alison

Why would you bother to chuck 30-odd quid down the drain by joining Diabetes-UK if you didn't at least have some interest in doing everything you could to manage your diabetes? I don't think the issue is with the intentions of the Balance readership but with the contents of the magazine itself and the general advice given by Diabetes-UK. I am currently a member (and have been since diagnosis six years ago). However, I've learnt since then that I can find better access to information on forums like this and on the internet generally and I won't be renewing my membership this year.
Cheers, BB :D

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dear all,

Rather than let this thread develop into a squabble I think we'll round it up now. Can I remind everyone to keep it clean and avoid personal attacks, not matter how veiled. It is transparent to me that talking in absolutes is always inaccurate, and I don't think this debate has any further to run.

The point of the OP is well-taken and has been passed to the relevant people.

Regards,

Admin

Status
Not open for further replies.