Is how you feel relative??

Merluna

Hello all I have been diagnosed about 4 weeks now and have slowly built up to 3 x metformin 500mg a day. Up until today I have felt fine, no problems, have cut carbs by half, changed what carbs I have to low gi and it really hasn't been too much bother. (My diet was good before) I have been told I have prob suffered from hyperinsulinism for many many years explaining my inability to loose weight, linked to my pcos and now has lead to me being diabetic. My doc was amazed by my bloods other than the hpa1c (12) everything else was normal cholesterol 5.1 etc. she said clearly I have had a healthy diet.
My real query is this. Yesterday was my first day taking 3 metformin, last one with tea, went to bed feeling fine, woke up shaking like a leaf, feeling v sick, could hardly stand up long enough to dry my hair! Had porridge for breakfast followed about 20 mins later when I felt no better by a wholemeal roll, 20 mins later when I still couldn't muster the energy to get up a glass of orange juice, finally 2 boiled sweets later felt safe enough to drive and have been fine for the rest of the day! As a result I purchased a bg monitor from boots. This Afto started to feel shaken and weak again which in the past would have been time for a cuppa and a snack as i thought bg was low, did a test, bg was 14!!!!!!! No eating then! This was 4.5 hrs after lunch!!! I know I'm newly diagnosed please don't post negative frightening things as I don't find it helpful I know it's bad but I'm doing everything I can at the mo. I know it needs to come down.
Could how I feel be relative to high levels in the past? eg because 14 might be lower compared to what it would have been 4 weeks ago is that giving me low bg symptoms?
I assumed maybe wrongly that how I felt this morning was low bg levels? I'll test tomorrow if it happens again!
Any thoughts?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that having high blood sugar affects me the same way as having low blood sugar. I get nausea, shaking, trembling, feel tearful......that sort of thing.

when I started to change my diet I found it took very little to make me shaky, but as time has gone on, my body has adapted and stays on an even keel, unless I have a cold or something.

As you say, you dont know what your blood sugar levels were doing before, so dont know wht is normal yet.

Keep calm, keep a record of what you eat and how you feel afterwards. Try to test your blood sugar levels just before eating, and 2 hours afterwards, to see how they go up and down.

It does get easier. And we will all help you however we can.

I am not a doctor, so cant advise you on anything medical, but give yourself another week of testing and see what happens.

Someone will be along soon with more suggestions and idea. My immediate suggestion is to try not to have carbs if you feel shaky, have some protein instead. This will teach your body to get used to lower blood sugar levels and become more stable.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your levels are normally high then you can get a 'false hypo' when they start to drop. Or as Lucylocket61 says it may be because you went high. Now that you've got a meter you can start to test before you eat and 2 hours after. The reading for after meals shouldn't be much high than the one before you ate. As they start to lower then you can try to get them under 8.5 (nice guidelines) or 7.8 which many of us think is 'safer' You may have a shock when you test after porridge as lots can't tolerate it, many healthy choices aren't healthy for diabetics, if you have readings that are puzzling then post and ask telling us what you've eaten and someone will hopefully help. Don't worry you'll soon get the hang of it!!

Ann

Fraddycat

I agree with Lucy, if you are feeling shaky and think you need to eat something, try testing and then have a piece of cheese or handful of nuts. As Anne says it could be a false hypo, I remember having them when I was newly diagnosed, I was out walking and suddenly felt terrible. My brother gave me me a couple of polos and I felt much better, but really I should have stuck it out. Its your body getting used to lower BGs after potentially years of high levels.

Try not to worry, they will very soon pass and you will start to feel loads better, just try not to feed the feeling with carbs.

Take care, Jane

Merluna

Thanks guys I will see how I go, I don't usually snack on carbs I have fresh chicken, low fat baby belle cheese etc for snacks, humous and carrot sticks sometimes too. I only had the bread this morning and the sweets as I just felt sooo terrible and had to drive somewhere, my hubby can't drive due to his Parkinson's so I'm kinda stuck! Not sure how I'm going to cope feeling like that being a secondary school teacher when half term is over! I have cut my carbs down to less than 130gs a day which is a low carb diet, before I would eat a lot of carbs as I don have a sweet tooth, would rather have bread and butter over chocolate any day! But always have had low fat and my 5 a day!
My doc gave me a list of things to eat that are good for diabetics and I've switched to all of them, porridge being one of them, she also said not to worry about instantaneous bg levels as it was the hpa1c that was the most important to get down?

Mushroom

Hi, thought I would comment. I have not had any problems low-carbing since May. I avoid all obvious carbs and am eating around 30 - 90g a day. I can appreciate your concerns about going back to school. I've been out of secondary teaching for over a year now and wondered how I coped with the hours and the pressure. A former colleague described the pace as 'relentless'. Make sure you look after yourself.
I notice you say you are low-carbing. You may want to look at the things your doctor says are 'good' for diabetics or post on here for some opinions. Porridge is meant to be low GI but some people have problems with it still raising their BS, especially in the mornings. I started by trying low GI but decided to cut all obvious carbs as I was 'addicted'. Bread is a carbohydrate and will have a similar effect as sugar. I used to eat loads of it. Your 5-a-day fruit was still sugar/carbs.
Not eating won't help - your body will release glucose anyway. I used to miss breakfast, rush a baguette at lunch while standing because I was marking or supervising catch-up groups. Then in the evening would eat a very large meal because I was too tired to do anything else. What I didn't realise about diabetes is that glucose is released when stressed - perfect when teaching! Better to have a little foods at regular intervals/every 4 hours or so.
And I wouldn't avoid fat - it will slow sugar spikes and make you feel full. Your previous 'low fat' products probably had a lot of sugar in them. Fat is also used by the body for energy. Read up on here about low carb but high fat diets and continue to ask questions. I am still learning but there are plenty of people on here with lots of experience. All the best.

Fraddycat

How about trying a couple of rashers of bacon and an egg for breakfast. That normally keeps me going till lunch. Plus if that 3rd metformin is making you feel rubbish, leave it off for now. Give the first week at school a go and see how you feel. When I first got started on the LC diet I ate every two hours, I'm more used to it now so can go about 4 hours. I have a handful of nuts or a piece of cheese - the really strong cheddar portions are so full of flavour that they keep me going for hours with a small piece of cheese and you can often find them individually wrappped so they can go in your pocket. Best wishes, Jane

Mushroom

In reply to the previous advice. Eggs and bacon in the morning is a good idea. I cook now because I work from home and have time but couldn't when working. Couldn't face food when first woke up. I think I could have managed a bit of ham and a slice of cheese while I was setting up my lessons and waiting for the form group to come in. Find a way of eating a little which suits you.

Merluna

Thanks everyone, feel much better today so hopefully yesterday was a blip! Tested before breakfast and was 11.2, lowest yet!!!!!! :) had porridge then tested 1.5 hrs later and 12.1 so not too bigger jump! Would love to have bacon and egg for breakfast everyday! Yummy! Will have to find the time! Lol
Should my levels come down quickly on metformin or is it a gradual thing? I've got another blood test in about 2 weeks so will see then if hpa1c has come down! Fingers crossed!

Mushroom

Well done!Step in the right direction. Think the usual testing is 2 hours after rather than 1.5. Try the bacon and eggs. I think you might find it will be lower.I don't use the Metformin because I wanted to 'do it' myself and my HB thingy was only 7.1 on diagnosis but I think it takes a week or so to make a difference. with most people it brings down blood sugars by 1 - 1.5mml/ml from what I read on here. Read up on low GI foods. You may find they are not quite the quick fix they are supposed to be.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lucylocket61 said:
I find that having high blood sugar affects me the same way as having low blood sugar. I get nausea, shaking, trembling, feel tearful......that sort of thing.

when I started to change my diet I found it took very little to make me shaky, but as time has gone on, my body has adapted and stays on an even keel, unless I have a cold or something.

As you say, you dont know what your blood sugar levels were doing before, so dont know wht is normal yet.

Keep calm, keep a record of what you eat and how you feel afterwards. Try to test your blood sugar levels just before eating, and 2 hours afterwards, to see how they go up and down.

It does get easier. And we will all help you however we can.

I am not a doctor, so cant advise you on anything medical, but give yourself another week of testing and see what happens.

Someone will be along soon with more suggestions and idea. My immediate suggestion is to try not to have carbs if you feel shaky, have some protein instead. This will teach your body to get used to lower blood sugar levels and become more stable.

Same here ... for years before I was diagnosed, I had those panicky, shaky, tearful feelings (I was given antidepressants for anxiety and depression when all the time it was my blood sugar) and I always thought it was because my blood sugar was low so I always ate something sweet or carby. Little did I know until I started testing my BS that those panicky feelings happened when my BS was HIGH as well as LOW. So thank God for this forum and the advice to get a BS monitor is all I can say, because otherwise I'd not have known. All those years I was actually pushing my BS up. Now when I get a feeling like that, I test and if it's high but I feel desperate to eat something I make sure it's something fatty with protein - like Egg Mayo Sandwich Spread. I ALWAYS have that in the fridge, it's great for breakfast on low carb crackers and keeps me going for hours. And it's great for just dipping into with a spoon when a bit of extra is needed.

Merluna

Ohh I like the egg mayo idea! I love that! Isn't it strange how it makes us all feel! I'm a little cross with my docs as I went through years of fertility treatment and was given metformin then but they never actually tested my bg! They obviously thought I might have a sugar issue when I was diagnosed with pcos as I understand the high oestrogen levels mess with your cells tolerance to insulin! Well I'm going to keep on trying, went out for lunch and a walk with the dogs, had pork and apple stew with a savoury scone and 2 hs later bg back to 11 so I'm doing ok in that way just need to get the start levels down!!!!!!