Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Jazz Music, Soap Operas,
Hi,

(This is long, apologies)

I think this question may need for me to put a tin foil hat on while asking, but I have been stressing about this for over six months, and I honestly can't take holding it in any more.

I was moved to Novamix over six months ago and the initial period was hard for me to handle. As soon as I started taking the Novamix, I started getting an irritated stomach. It was agony, and I had quite a few embarrassing situations in the first few weeks. I had had problems with other diabetes injectables (the names escape me now) that caused irritated stomach, but I was assured that Novamix was perfectly fine to take as it had no side effects that would affect me in that way. So I initially thought that this crossover was the old injectable getting out of my system and it would all settle down given time.

Well after six weeks the problems were persisting so I called the Diabetic Nurse and asked if Novamix could in any way be affecting my gut, the answer was a resounding NO!!

I carried on taking it for a few more weeks, and when things came to a VERY embarrassing conclusion, I just stopped taking the Novamix, I sunk into a depression and neglected pretty much everything to do with my DIabetes and concentrated on my Mental Health. When I went back for my three monthly check up with the Diabetic Nurse, I got a sound telling off for being non-compliant with my medication and not keeping track of bloods. I explained about the stomach issues and again, the nurse insisted that it was nothing to do with the medication and maybe I should look at IBS as a problem. (side Note - I have never had an issue with IBS type symptoms before or during my time with insulin based Diabetes injectables - It seemed strange that it would start now).

I was sent off with a flea in my ear to do better and see you in three months.

I started my regime again testing and injecting on a regular prescribed basis, and you'll never guess what happened... Gut problems again. I was furious, how could the Novamix NOT be contributing to the problems. So I did a very unscientific experiment... I took the Novamix for one week and then stopped for ten days - A few days for the last injections to get out of my system and then see how my gut reacted for the final 5 days... rinse and repeat. I came up with the conclusion that I expected.

On Novamix I have stomach issues and without it, they settle down. I have tried to speak to my diabetes team, but they haven't returned my calls and I am due to see them in the next couple of weeks.

So after this overly long post, I have two questions...

Has anyone else had this kind of issue from taking Novamix?
Can anyone think of some other medical reason this could be happening?

Apologies again for the extreme length of this post

Paul

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Welcome to the forums. I'm tagging @daisy1 to send you a new members info post.

I've never heard of novamix causing IBS but

There is definitely a strong link between diabetes/high blood sugars and IBS.
I'm wondering/speculating if the issue is the change/reduction in your blood sugars (which would be caused by any insulin) and that your body has not yet got used to them? Are your eating habits staying the same when you're on insulin?

Have you exhausted the blood sugar lowering possibilities of diet/exercise? Many of the T2s on here manage to control their condition just by going very low carb, which would obviously be a better option for you if you find you're not tolerating insulin well.

Good luck. Hopefully some others will post soon with more suggestions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I think this question may need for me to put a tin foil hat on while asking, but I have been stressing about this for over six months, and I honestly can't take holding it in any more.

I was moved to Novamix over six months ago and the initial period was hard for me to handle. As soon as I started taking the Novamix, I started getting an irritated stomach. It was agony, and I had quite a few embarrassing situations in the first few weeks. I had had problems with other diabetes injectables (the names escape me now) that caused irritated stomach, but I was assured that Novamix was perfectly fine to take as it had no side effects that would affect me in that way. So I initially thought that this crossover was the old injectable getting out of my system and it would all settle down given time.

Well after six weeks the problems were persisting so I called the Diabetic Nurse and asked if Novamix could in any way be affecting my gut, the answer was a resounding NO!!

I carried on taking it for a few more weeks, and when things came to a VERY embarrassing conclusion, I just stopped taking the Novamix, I sunk into a depression and neglected pretty much everything to do with my DIabetes and concentrated on my Mental Health. When I went back for my three monthly check up with the Diabetic Nurse, I got a sound telling off for being non-compliant with my medication and not keeping track of bloods. I explained about the stomach issues and again, the nurse insisted that it was nothing to do with the medication and maybe I should look at IBS as a problem. (side Note - I have never had an issue with IBS type symptoms before or during my time with insulin based Diabetes injectables - It seemed strange that it would start now).

I started my regime again testing and injecting on a regular prescribed basis, and you'll never guess what happened... Gut problems again. I was furious, how could the Novamix NOT be contributing to the problems. So I did a very unscientific experiment... I took the Novamix for one week and then stopped for ten days - A few days for the last injections to get out of my system and then see how my gut reacted for the final 5 days... rinse and repeat. I came up with the conclusion that I expected.

On Novamix I have stomach issues and without it, they settle down. I have tried to speak to my diabetes team, but they haven't returned my calls and I am due to see them in the next couple of weeks.

Paul
Can't help much with the Novamix but it sounds to me as if it is certainly having a negative effect on you.
Are you any other medication? What sort of eating regime do you follow?
A lot of us have found that by cutting carbs we can remove our need for medication to reduce blood sugar levels.
As it's your first post hello and welcome.

Reactions: EllieM

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @YouDeadedMe,
Looking through the so called 'inactive' ingredients of Novomix i note that it contains protomine , a fish product. So, i wonder if this might be the culprit. The only other insulin to contain this is the Humalog mixed range.
Perhaps you could ask your dsn about trying a different insulin regime which does not involve a mixed insulin type siting your possible reaction to the fish product and the fact that mixed insulins tend to cause weight gain ( although in your case it is 'moderate to severe gastrointestinal upset').
The other thought is whether you are prescribed and still taking Metformin which can cause stomach annd bowel upset and so ? Novo-mix + Metformin makes things worse.
I hope the above helps !

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@YouDeadedMe

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful and interesting. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

Paul
You have done your N of 1 and whilst there is no reports of GI side effects from novomix that I can find from a quick check, it is well known that long standing type 2s or type 1s on insulin have nerve damage to their stomachs (gastroparesis) in which the stomach takes longer to digest foods causing bloating, nausea and the runs (symptoms also kn own as irritable bowel)! However this does not fit with your experience of stopping the insulin and getting relief from the symptoms though so perhaps you are having an auto immune response to something in the insulin.
Fyi I found this link about alternatives though would agree with BulkBiker that looking at dietary options may help more in the long term (insulin has other side effects such as weight gain and increasing insulin resistance plus greater risk of CVD/renal problems).
https://www.iddt.org/news/withdrawal-of-mixtard-30/nearest-equivalent-insulin-to-mixtard-30

Apologies if you have come across any of this before and would say you need to stand up to the DSn because you are not prepared to live with the side effects.

tizzy

Hi are you able to take someone with you to an appointment unfortunately I know from experience people with mental health difficulties are sometimes not listened to tell them you really want to help yourself but can’t suffer the effects of this particular insulin @kitedoc has a good thought ask to try one without the fish oil or keep try ing till you find one that suits you please don’t feel offended by anything I’ve written just would like to help

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
If the DSN says it isn’t nova mix... ask for her to refer you to a gastroenterologist for looking in to problems with stomach.
They won’t like referring you so are more likely to take you serious about your reasoning about novamix.

Reactions: Struma

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That doesn't sound very helpful. Here are some statistics, from the FDA which is the US food and drug administration people. So it's not unheard of

https://www.ehealthme.com/ds/insulin/upset-stomach/

It seems to be a small number of people, and a fairly unusual side effect, but of course if it is happening to you, then that is what matters. It also seems to be people who've been using it for less than a month, so it may be a short term problem.

I think you have to talk to them. If it is an unusual side effect they may not have any experience of it, but it doesn't help that they aren't listening to you.

Reactions: donnellysdogs