Is it just me ?? ..

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i am a type 1 diabetic have been for 14 years .. im now 22 and live myself at night i will make sure my bloods are to high before i go to sleep as i am scared they go to low and i hypo when i am asleep and dont wake up and die. So i eat suger before i go to sleep wich makes my bloods always far to high and made me start to develop neuropathy wich i am on amytryplin for does anyone else have this problem about falling asleep ?? I have been in hoapital 3 times this year woth dka i would rsther it be high as the feeling isint as bad as it is low when it os low during the day sends me into a panock attack also

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I make sure mine is around 7 or jus above when im goin to sleep but try not to be over that n ive never really had a hypo yet in the nite that im aware of! Ive been diagnosed jus coming up on one year and ive had no recurring ketoacidosis since diagnosis. Sometimes if ive been careless for a few days drinking m nites out etc n can smell my urine is sweet i dip it n try be careful again! It is easy to panick coz a hypo feels horrible, but if its below 5/6 at nite i have a wee choc chip cookie or something small enough to bring it up a few units to do me over nite! N i live alone to but try not to live in fear uv done well all these years!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
i am a type 1 diabetic have been for 14 years .. im now 22 and live myself at night i will make sure my bloods are to high before i go to sleep as i am scared they go to low and i hypo when i am asleep and dont wake up and die. So i eat suger before i go to sleep wich makes my bloods always far to high and made me start to develop neuropathy wich i am on amytryplin for does anyone else have this problem about falling asleep ?? I have been in hoapital 3 times this year woth dka i would rsther it be high as the feeling isint as bad as it is low when it os low during the day sends me into a panock attack also

So what are your pre-bed levels and waking levels ? If they are dropping too much, you are on too much medication. I understand the fear of hypo but running high carries long term risk ( which you are already aware of ). If you keep a diary of all carbs, meds and BG readings for a while and speak to your nurse or post here, with some minor adjustments, it could be sorted out so your levels are in range for 90% of the time.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before bed they have to be 10 and over mornings about 13 somtimes higher .. i am on novomix.30 2x a day 65 !and 56 at bed its in my head if its say 7 its.gona.drop and go low i know a.girl that died in hersleep her mum hadnt heard from her so went to her house and she was lying dead she was only 24

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Before bed they have to be 10 and over mornings about 13 somtimes higher .. i am on novomix.30 2x a day 65 !and 56 at bed its in my head if its say 7 its.gona.drop and go low i know a.girl that died in hersleep her mum hadnt heard from her so went to her house and she was lying dead she was only 24

I still think you need to record results and speak to your DSN. I would guess there is more risk running high ( DKA ) than low. You may have heard of someone dying from a hypo but it is extremely rare.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, you are running too high. Have you discussed moving to the Basal/Bolus regime with your DN? As you may know this involves two insulins and pens; a 24 hour one and meal-time rapid. The advantage is that the 24 hr Basal can be gradually adjusted to get the morning fasting right (between 5 & 7) and is independent of the meal-time rapid which you match to the mealtime carbs. You would have much better control and have more confidence in avoiding overnight hypos. If you can reduce the carby snacks etc it will in turn enable you to keep the insulin(s) at a minimum and minimise blood sugar swings and hence hypo risk. BTW most T1s seem to be on Basal/Bolus so I think you need to discuss this seriously with your DN. The key to all of this is having enough blood sugar control during the 24 hours that even if you do hypo during the night it will be minor and wake you up to have some glucose.

Reactions: 2 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Daibell that talking to your nurse about changing insulin might be important. It's also important to discuss your fears with her. You won't be the first with this fear.
Even if you continue on this twice a day insulin perhaps it might be a good idea to talk about timing of the insulin dose. What time do you have your evening meal? Is it just before bed? Most people that I know of that use this insulin take it before breakfast and before evening meal (or just after) rather than bedtime as you do:
http://www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk/Se... Adjustment for twice daily mixed insulin.pdf

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have never heard of balas and bolus is that slow and fast acting i was on 5injections a.day 2 in morn a fast and slow at lunch.a.fast and bedtime fast and slow then got changed.to 2 one in morn then other before dinner wich i hate and have pleaded ti changed but they havnt.its also made me put on alot of weight x