Is it time to see GP

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was put on metformin in November starting with one and gradually building to 4 a day. I have had in the past month had about half a dozen occasions when I have felt rather shaky which I think is one of the symptoms of a hypo had one a short time ago and checked my reading it was 3.4. I had hba1c last week and mentioned to the nurse about shakiness she said doc would perhaps lower metformin dose. My result came in for hba1c and it was 7 which I don't think is great, but as this was over Christmas and a holiday so maybe to be expected. I am not given strips on prescription because doc says its not necessary, I buy my own and test at least once a day averaging BG of 6 in a week. Should I reduce metformin myself or see gp. I also take 2 gliclazide a day.

Helenababe

Hi Jackalina :)

I would talk it over with either your GP or DN first. I'm 5 years in but still discuss things about my metformin with them.

Helena

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I would certainly talk it over, but it may be the Gliclizade rather than the Metformin. I only take Metformin so I don't know much about the other, but Met is not a hypo-causing drug. However, you are on the highest dose and it might not hurt to come down a bit.

See your GP. Particularly if you drive. You don't want to be anywhere near hypo territory if you're driving.

Viv 8)

Unbeliever

Bound to be the glic. if it is your medication to blame. Pretty sure your Doctor will want to reduce the dose . Try to use the situation to get him to prescribe strips.
Are you having the hyopos at any particular time? Proves the importance of testing. For all you know you could be experiencing highs and lows averaging seven.
Without more information your doctor will probably be guessing too .except ,as Viv says ,metformin is not hypo -inducing.
In my experience the word "hypo" is very effective in making them sit up and take notice, I doubt that reducing the metformin would have much effect ,if any.
Its worth a try with the test strips- good luck!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It will be the Glic which comes with a warning that it may cause hypos if it does what it's supposed to and increase insulin output from the pancreas. Met merely controls glucose around the body in different ways none of which cause hypos in themselves

Jackalina

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your input folks. The reason I was blaming metformin is that I have been on glic for two years with no ill effects it started with metformin. This shaky feeling usually happens just before lunchtime and goes when I eat. I think I will make appointment with the doctor.

Unbeliever

I see now why the nurse suggested youmight reduce your metformin. It may just be a case of adjusting the dose or even the time when you take your meds.
Its quite common to have to adjust when you take more than one drug. Dr may still adjust the glic as obviously you were given metformin laer for a reason. Quite unusual to do it hat way around.

yes, of course you need to see your Dr. its someimes necessary to shuffle things around a few imes before you find the ideal for you.