Is Libre Reader Worth £22.95?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abbott have just emailed me to offer me a "free" Libre Reader if I buy at least one sensor @ £57.95. Since I can buy sensors from Superdrug @£35, if I order one sensor from Abbott the reader will be costing me £22.95. I already bought a smartphone which is NFC capable, should I go for the Reader as well? Any advice appreciated.

Reactions: enzina

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I actually prefer using the reader most of the time, mainly because its smaller than my phone (modern phones are getting bigger and bigger) so a lot more discrete to use (for example in a meeting at work), also I find it a lot faster to use, and I don't need to get the reader as close as the phone, the phone needs to basically be within 5-10mm to read it, the reader can be about 5cm away. I do make sure I still scan with the phone every 8 hours though so it has all the data. (as the reader and phone can't talk to each other).
23 quid is cheaper than I got it for - I got it in a starter pack deal that had 2 sensors and the reader - but can't remember the price.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
Hi Alexandra,

I have received an invitation too after waiting for several month. Now i don't wanna order from the website anymore, £57 is a rip off, there is no option for VAT exemption on their website. I haven't got a reader, i'm using my mobile but i would say it's not worth it. :-(

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Abbott have just emailed me to offer me a "free" Libre Reader if I buy at least one sensor @ £57.95. Since I can buy sensors from Superdrug @£35, if I order one sensor from Abbott the reader will be costing me £22.95. I already bought a smartphone which is NFC capable, should I go for the Reader as well? Any advice appreciated.
I see that the prices Abbott are charging include VAT. I can see no option to change this, although they do mention that some people may be able to avoid paying VAT.

Reactions: enzina
D

Deleted Account

One advantage of the reader is that it is also a finger prick reader.
So if you want to check your Libre swipe, you don't have to carry two readers around with you.
And it is useful to have as a spare.

I can't say how much it is worth because I was given mine free when I had a Libre trial.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Alexandra,

I have received an invitation too after waiting for several month. Now i don't wanna order from the website anymore, £57 is a rip off, there is no option for VAT exemption on their website. I haven't got a reader, i'm using my mobile but i would say it's not worth it. :-(
Thanks @enzina, I'm inclined to agree with you, especially about the VAT. I get very cross when firms drag their feet about that. Abbott seem to be a very old-fashioned outfit. When I filled in their registration form I was obliged to choose to call myself "Mrs" as there is no "Ms" option. It must be decades since I was last called "Mrs". It is almost as irritating as being called "Alexander", which happens to me more often than it should.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
One advantage of the reader is that it is also a finger prick reader.
So if you want to check your Libre swipe, you don't have to carry two readers around with you.
And it is useful to have as a spare.

I can't say how much it is worth because I was given mine free when I had a Libre trial.
Thanks, but aren't the strips very dear?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see that the prices Abbott are charging include VAT. I can see no option to change this, although they do mention that some people may be able to avoid paying VAT.

I know when I go onto their site to order, I can still fill in an exemption form to get it VAT free - it's part of the checkout process though so maybe you just haven't got to that point yet in the process.

Reactions: porl69

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I actually prefer using the reader most of the time, mainly because its smaller than my phone (modern phones are getting bigger and bigger) so a lot more discrete to use (for example in a meeting at work), also I find it a lot faster to use, and I don't need to get the reader as close as the phone, the phone needs to basically be within 5-10mm to read it, the reader can be about 5cm away. I do make sure I still scan with the phone every 8 hours though so it has all the data. (as the reader and phone can't talk to each other).
23 quid is cheaper than I got it for - I got it in a starter pack deal that had 2 sensors and the reader - but can't remember the price.
Thanks @Rokaab, did you pay VAT?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I only use my phone and I wouldn't want a reader.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @Rokaab, did you pay VAT?
Nope, didn't pay VAT, and I can still fill in the VAT exemption form as I said in my second post (which was at about the same time as you posted) - as I just checked on their site - though admittedly I now get my sensors from Asda instead (cheaper - though not as cheap as Superdrug and more convenient)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The full price for a starter pack with one Reader and 2 sensors is £159.95.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The reader is £57.95. So I would say so AND you have a spare just in case something happens to your phone.
I always start my sensor with the reader then use my phone all the time. My reader is in the bedroom so my girlfriend can scan me when I am sleeping

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I havnt ordered direct from Abbot for a while as its cheaper via some pharmacies. When I did order from Abbot, the vat was able to be removed before checking out the order and the vat exemption remained on record for future orders - bought the price down to around £48

Last edited:

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

They know perfectly well not SOME but ALL of their customers are VAT exempt.

Reactions: Alexandra100

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I recall, when odering from Abbott, the customer journey quotes VAT included, until the point of checkout when one is asked to confirm the diabetes status.

I cannot imagine Abbott have begun charging VAT to those who qualify for the exemption.

I have ALWAYS had the opportunity to make the VAT declaration

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just did myself a dummy order for 2 sensors and at the checkout process this is revealed:

upload_2018-7-19_14-51-39.png

Once you have confirmed if you arre ordering for yourself or a minor, over 4, that removes the VAT.

I hope that helps.

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I just did myself a dummy order for 2 sensors and at the checkout process this is revealed:

View attachment 27648

Once you have confirmed if you arre ordering for yourself or a minor, over 4, that removes the VAT.

I hope that helps.

Yes, i have just done one as well and found it! I'm very surprised because i have done one as soo as i got the email and could have sworn there was none.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, i have just done one as well and found it! I'm very surprised because i have done one as soo as i got the email and could have sworn there was none.

You probably didn't go quite far enough, but no matter, you got there in the end.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got mine too as part of a starter pack with the two sensors for around £150 with VAT deducted. For me it's been worthe very penny as I don't have a mobile phone. You can use the reader as a normal meter too and check both glucose and ketone levels.

Robbity