Is Porridge safe

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all another question is Porridge safe for type 2s or is it to many carbs in it love to here other people's views on this has I read somewhere that's it was safe for us to eat

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No carb is 'unsafe' but it may not be good for BS control. Porridge is well-known for most of us to cause BS spikes. It's better not 'stewed' but with cold milk as muesli together with nuts and seeds etc.

Reactions: Arsenal79

Chronicle_Cat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No generally not, It tends to spike most people's blood glucose as do all grains as they are high carbohydrate.

The best way to tell is to test with your blood glucose meter. (All Type 2s and prediabetics should have a meter to test foods). Test right before eating, then again 2 hours after. If the rise is 2.0 mmol/L or greater, that's a spike and you need to eliminate that food from your diet.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all your replys and thank you freema will be using those breakfast ideas from now on.

Reactions: Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Is porridge safe?

It depends on your intolerance to oats or the milk, or the carb content and portion size.

But for me, it is really bad!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I managed to just sneak into the non diabetic rang when training and eating oats. When I replaced oats with berries, Greek yogurt and nuts I got further improvements. So more taste, all day fullness and better blood sugars ditching oats. You might take my ramblings with a pinch of salt, as I am a Spurs man. :)

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I managed to just sneak into the non diabetic rang when training and eating oats. When I replaced oats with berries, Greek yogurt and nuts I got further improvements. So more taste, all day fullness and better blood sugars ditching oats. You might take my ramblings with a pinch of salt, as I am a Spurs man. :)
Whether where spurs arsenal man u lol all that matters in life is we take care of ourselves and to help others achieve the same success thank you for replying

Reactions: Mbaker

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh yes coconut I love coconut absolute favourite taste in the world will be doing this in the morning roll on breakfast

A morning roll is a quite specific part of the Scottish diet, so when I read this first a red flag went up... and then I read it a couple of more times and got the sense. :)

In answer to your OP, porridge spikes me something amazing, so no longer.
The only way to find out is to test your bloods before and after having eaten your standard amount and repeat it a couple of times. It might be okay for you but only you can find out.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A morning roll is a quite specific part of the Scottish diet, so when I read this first a red flag went up... and then I read it a couple of more times and got the sense. :)
Sorry for the confusion reading that just tickled me thanks for the reply

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I used to have porridge in the winter until I tested and found it had spiked my bg to 10.4 two hours after eating. I haven't had it since. Some people on here find they can tolerate it. The only way to find out if it spikes you is to test before and after eating.

Yellredder

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fine with porridge. I sprinkle cinnamon on it, which I love. Only been testing a couple of weeks, but it's not spiked at all during that time.