Is the pump attractive?

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone.
I was previously on a pump many years ago. I felt very unattractive with it, but I was going through a very tough time. I am going to be going onto it again, as I really want good control- in preparation for kids. I am still with the same person as I was with then. He doesn’t care at all about the pump and how it may look. I really do and I’m scared to have to go through this feeling again. Any thoughts?

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would love the omnipod, but I can’t seem to get it! It’s the tubes that put me off!!!

That said even the other pumps can be as obvious as you want to make them. Which one are you going for? I see loads on people on Instagram with different types of pump. What are you most worried about?

Meghalton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That said even the other pumps can be as obvious as you want to make them. Which one are you going for? I see loads on people on Instagram with different types of pump. What are you most worried about?

I think I’m most worried about the tubing! I hate how a tube looks and I remember always getting it caught on things. This is why I like the idea of the omnipod! Although it doesn’t do blood glucose readings on it?! I looked it up and you still have to do blood pricks. Is that right? It’s probably a lot more useful to have that on the pump! Xxxxxx

Reactions: mytype1.life

eabhamurphy

Yeah I can understand this issue. Lots of my old dresses are not wearable with my pump. To be honest I give that little thought now, a year in, still holding on to those dresses. Can't imagine I'll decide to use MDI for a day just to wear them but the option is there I suppose. Pump is brilliant. I feel so happy and lucky to have a pump. It outweighs all the negatives by a mile.good luck.

Reactions: Meghalton

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Meghalton I wear the 640g with tubing but have got the shortest length available and also use a pump belt so any spare tubing gets tucked into that, I was worried about it’s appearance when i got it but it really isn’t an issue at all, also it’s usefulness has far outweighed any initial concerns I originally had so I don’t think about any of this now. In fact I would never consider not having it now.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you'll probably find the actual pumps are smaller than they were and also that there is a wider range of accessories like pump belts these days. I use the Omnipod but before I knew I could get that I had a saline trial with a tubed pump and was really surprised how discreet it was. Unless you wear lycra head-to-toe you should be ok :) Perhaps ask if you could have a trial before making a decision?

As others have said I think the benefits far out weigh the downside, especially if you are planning children.

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I’m most worried about the tubing! I hate how a tube looks and I remember always getting it caught on things. This is why I like the idea of the omnipod! Although it doesn’t do blood glucose readings on it?! I looked it up and you still have to do blood pricks. Is that right? It’s probably a lot more useful to have that on the pump! Xxxxxx

You will be amazed how you can hide it. Omnipod is a bigger pump compared to others too. I do finger pricks with my Omnipod and have a Libre for trends and CGM.

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
I think, personally, the pump looks awesome.

I'm on injections but plan to go on the pump. I'll be showing it off for sure! Wearing it in obvious places, it makes you different and unique. There's nothing unattractive about it.

You see someone with earphones in, the wire plugging into their phone. Does your rain immediately think "Gross."? Nope, it doesn't think a thing about it! Same with your diabetes and the pump.

Love yourself! <3

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey everyone.
I was previously on a pump many years ago. I felt very unattractive with it, but I was going through a very tough time. I am going to be going onto it again, as I really want good control- in preparation for kids. I am still with the same person as I was with then. He doesn’t care at all about the pump and how it may look. I really do and I’m scared to have to go through this feeling again. Any thoughts?
Be happy that your partner said he does not care about the pump and how it looks because he just sees you as the partner he loves and a pump will not change that. Hopefully that will give you the confidence to get a pump and have good control when you start a family

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This was something I was worried about before I went onto the pump . The reality is most people don't even notice it, and those that do, don't care after the initial interest. I mentioned my worries to a male friend and his comment was: "if anything you should be leading with it, what man wouldn't think being part robot wasn't cool?".

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They'd never give me one but if they did, pod maybe, tubes no way. Ugh. Ick. Eww. The idea of it puts my teeth on edge.

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's a very personal choice. For me I prefer the tubed pump because I find it gives me more flexibility in terms of where I can keep it. The one I have is also smaller than the Omnipod so I prefer the way it looks. Other people love their Omnipod though so I think it's just whatever suits your needs best.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like you said you are still you
emoji177.png

No, I'm not, that's the problem. I'm a sort of broken sickly weird version of me who isn't very nice to be around and hates everything all the time, and is generally a loser. I do not like being a loser.