1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is there a substitute for psyllium husk ?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by Kikky, May 9, 2019.

1. Kikky

Kikky Type 2 · Member

Hi, I'm itching to make the Diet Doctors garlic bread but it and a lot of the bread ingredients says psyllium husk, does anyone know if you can get away without it ? Thanks

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think it's to help hold things together. Most recipes I have seen state it can't be substituted. Any reason you want to avoid it?

3. Kikky

Kikky Type 2 · Member

Oh ok, it's just I cant find it in the shops so will have to order online. Thank you

4. xfieldok

Amazon is where I get mine. Be warned that some brands turn purple when baked, it is still edible, just looks a little odd.

5. xfieldok

Health food shops may sell it. People take it with water to add fibre.

6. Kikky

Kikky Type 2 · Member

Thank you, just as well it's my favourite colour, lol.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

I got purple bagels with my psyllium husk powder, hehehe

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. TaraLMartin

TaraLMartin Prediabetes · Newbie

For some almond bread recipes, they use either psyllium husk or flaxmeal instead. Maybe flaxmeal ?

10. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I've taken to baking with just flax meal, with egg or egg white for binder. My preference anyway is for dense and moist, so I'm not seeing many disappointments. I made an almond flour pound cake last weekend that was delicious! Out of the oven it was a light fluffy medium-crumb yellow cake, and after a day ripening tightly wrapped in the frig it turned to more traditional pound cake. Never tried the DD breads.

11. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

I've never used psyllium in baking, I had an extremely unpleasant experience with it after it being recommended for constipation, and won't ever touch it again .

Like @zauberflote I've generally used eggs, or occasionally nothing extra to bind, and have always avoided the Diet Doctor recipes due to my issue with psillium!

Xanthan gum (available from some supermarkets or Amazon) seems to be used in gluten free baking and I found an informative article from Coeliac UK about using this or guar gum, which may be worth a look:
    https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/recipe-database/baking-hints-and-tips/

Robbity

12. Sweet_Sophie

Sweet_Sophie Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Holland and Barrett have it but it’s quite expensive. The lady in the shop advised me at the time for a substitute half the price. Good luck

13. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

Do be careful to get either the powder or the whole husks depending on what you need - I bought various powders from Amazon - psyllium, coconut and soy, in bulk and for good prices, as they were what I wanted for experiments in bread making.
    I get milled seeds and whole seeds, ground almonds and other normal baking substances from supermarkets in small amounts as they have shorter shelf lives.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook