Is there more risk from flu with diabetes?

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I got my Pneumonia jab a couple of years ago from my chemist.

He always gives my jabs (Flu every year)

If you have a good pharmacist ask them as it can take time to get it done at the GP's. I do not even need to ask my pharmacist, he just asks if I've had it yet and when I say no he does it there and then.. Excellent!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got my Pneumonia jab a couple of years ago from my chemist.

He always gives my jabs (Flu every year)

If you have a good pharmacist ask them as it can take time to get it done at the GP's. I do not even need to ask my pharmacist, he just asks if I've had it yet and when I say no he does it there and then.. Excellent!
I’m definitely going to my pharmacist next winter, it was like a cattle market at my GP’s when I went for my Saturday morning ‘appt’ for mine. It looked like half the city had a 10.30 appt too!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got mine within 5 minutes when I picked up my prescriptions from the pharmacist, this avoided me being in a room of other high-risk people! If there was a queue I would have just gone back the next time I was passing.

Reactions: Rachox

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I’m definitely going to my pharmacist next winter, it was like a cattle market at my GP’s when I went for my Saturday morning ‘appt’ for mine. It looked like half the city had a 10.30 appt too!

Ha yes I know. Last time I had it done at my GP's I was there so long I left needing to shave and looked like my avatar !

I really do recommend getting your pharmacist to do it if you are fortunate enough to have a good one..

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are lucky enough to be 70 or 78 (it's complicated) you can have free shingles jab as well for a full set!
Yes had my shingles jab a few weeks ago had the pneumonia one a few years ago and have the flu jab every year

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No one produces glucose, so no.

But, illness can make it much more difficult to manage diabetes. Just have a look at this thread - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/in-hospital.131029/#post-1649194 - where another member has ended up in hospital with flu.

You already have one chronic condition, why over complicate things by leaving yourself open to catching a serious illness?

I think I have a problem with understanding your reply. I have always thought that we could make glucose from proteins and fats if the more usual suspects, ie glucose in the form of carbs, is not available. Have I completely misunderstood? Thanks, always willing to learn.

And absolutely agree with your point. Get a flu jab.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I think I have a problem with understanding your reply. I have always thought that we could make glucose from proteins and fats if the more usual suspects, ie glucose in the form of carbs, is not available. Have I completely misunderstood? Thanks, always willing to learn.

And absolutely agree with your point. Get a flu jab.
Gluconeogenesis.