Is there more risk from flu with diabetes?

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm wondering, since I now have (some sort of) diabetes, should I start to get flu jabs? Or would that depend on GAD results (which I'm still waiting on).

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering, since I now have (some sort of) diabetes, should I start to get flu jabs? Or would that depend on GAD results (which I'm still waiting on).

Yes. All diabetics, regardless of type, are advised to have a flu jab.

Reactions: Bertyboy

Lampman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Flu can be nasty for anyone. Getting a flu jab is not a certain guarantee of immunity, but give yourself every chance of avoiding flu, would be my advice! I had my first flu jab this year, my first winter after diagnosis. I have had the flu many times and I certainly don't want it again, or to learn if its worse with diabetes by experience.

Reactions: fati2

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whats the thinking behind that? Does it affect one's glucose production in some way?

No one produces glucose, so no.

But, illness can make it much more difficult to manage diabetes. Just have a look at this thread - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/in-hospital.131029/#post-1649194 - where another member has ended up in hospital with flu.

You already have one chronic condition, why over complicate things by leaving yourself open to catching a serious illness?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Whats the thinking behind that? Does it affect one's glucose production in some way?
Not sure about non-insulin dependent diabetics, but as a Type 1 I can expect my insulin needs to drastically increase if I get flu. Combine that with needing to do frequent testing and wanting to stay in bed and die (usual symptoms of flu, rather than a cold), then it's well worth having a flu jab. That's probably the reason why doctors encourage diabetics to have the jab, they know they may well be hospitalised if they get flu...

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Flu can be deadly to diabetics. Especially those that have had it long term.

I never mess about without not having a flu jab. Our immune system becomes weaker the longer we have have the condition.

Young children and the elderly can die if they catch influenza and diabetics are classed as being in that risk group.

Always get a flu jab.

Reactions: Glenmac and Snapsy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a flu jab but have been suffering from a chest infection for about a week now, you can clearly see what this has done to my daily average readings :(
C7027952-4BCA-4AE1-B9D8-E8E9047EF3B2.jpeg

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I wish I could find it now but recently somebody started a thread because she was concerned about what flu had done to her blood glucose. From memory, she had managed to get her blood sugars under control, I think to about 7, then she got the flu and the numbers raised, and 4 weeks later they were at around 14 and she was having trouble lowering them.

Add to that the fact that even the flu jab can, rarely, raise people's blood glucose for a couple of weeks, and it seems like flu can effect everyone's blood glucose differently, some people quite badly, and for very long periods of time.

I was a bit miffed that I was in the dark about the advice for diabetics to get the jab - my GP told me just a few days ago. I had it done this morning. To be safe, really you should get it in September / October because it can take 2 weeks to kick in.

I had a flu jab but have been suffering from a chest infection for about a week now, you can clearly see what this has done to my daily average readings :(
View attachment 24747

Lovely graph in spite of the personal implications! So it started going up about a week ago and it looks like it might take a while to get back to normal if the last 3 points are anything to go by. Impressive that the readings are all within reasonable levels, possibly showing the benefit of very tight control generally.

Have you been managing to eat relatively normally throughout? I was curious about the advice to make sure you eat normally even if it shoots up over the 20's!

Reactions: TifferG and Snapsy

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lovely graph in spite of the personal implications! So it started going up about a week ago and it looks like it might take a while to get back to normal if the last 3 points are anything to go by. Impressive that the readings are all within reasonable levels, possibly showing the benefit of very tight control generally.

Have you been managing to eat relatively normally throughout? I was curious about the advice to make sure you eat normally even if it shoots up over the 20's!

My average was starting to creep up even before I felt ill now looking at this. I haven’t been eating as much as normal either and can understand the rational of eating even if levels are high as I suffer with liver dump if I fast, so I guess there’s an element of that going on if you’re only eating a little. I’m still running a temperature so I’m not surprised my sugars are still not settled

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My average was starting to creep up even before I felt ill now looking at this. I haven’t been eating as much as normal either and can understand the rational of eating even if levels are high as I suffer with liver dump if I fast, so I guess there’s an element of that going on if you’re only eating a little. I’m still running a temperature so I’m not surprised my sugars are still not settled

Interesting, thank you.

I wasn't sure whether to click hug or informative. But your post with the lovely graph got my informative so this time you're getting a hug, in the get well soon sense :)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting, thank you.

I wasn't sure whether to click hug or informative. But your post with the lovely graph got my informative so this time you're getting a hug, in the get well soon sense :)
Thank you! I need to be well for Friday, as I’m going into hospital for an operation on one foot and a steroid injection in my other foot. More things to ruin My December numbers! :banghead:

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
I was told by my DN that as someone with T2 I was a high risk and to have the flu jab. (Never had one before diagnosis) so had a jab in October and no after effects.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve declined the jab for over ten years now, instead opting for high daily doses of vit D and it’s worked.
In that time I’ve cared for clients with swine flu and other flu strains and not contracted it myself.
The rare occasion I get a viral infection, it’s over in 48 hours and I don’t feel ill at all.
I’ve had flu twice in my life both times as a child with sub optimal nutrition and a high carb diet.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve declined the jab for over ten years now, instead opting for high daily doses of vit D and it’s worked.
In that time I’ve cared for clients with swine flu and other flu strains and not contracted it myself.
The rare occasion I get a viral infection, it’s over in 48 hours and I don’t feel ill at all.
I’ve had flu twice in my life both times as a child with sub optimal nutrition and a high carb diet.
What does the vitamin D do to prevent aquiring flu? I've never had it before so I wouldn't know what to expect, but there's always a risk and I'd be a bit dubious about relying on something I should have enough of anyway.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What does the vitamin D do to prevent aquiring flu? I've never had it before so I wouldn't know what to expect, but there's always a risk and I'd be a bit dubious about relying on something I should have enough of anyway.

I know, it sounds all hippy and radical doesn’t it but there has been a huge amount of work done on Vit D and most of us are deficient in it. It’s vital for so many things; immune system and mental health being two important ones.

The YouTube link is Ivor Cummings a hugely respected voice around these here parts. The intro by Sam Feltham (from The Public Health Collaboration) is a bit fumbly but the content important.

https://www.vitamindcouncil.org/

Reactions: Bertyboy

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
No one produces glucose, so no.

I'm confused! Please could you clarify that statement. The body produces glucose usually from the carbs we eat. If I'm eating less than 40gms of carbohydrate per day, where does the glucose in my blood come from. I thought my body was now happily converting fats and protein in the absence of carbs. It's taken 4 years to start doing that, but the glucose is coming from somewhere. Or have I misinterpreted your statement.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm confused! Please could you clarify that statement. The body produces glucose usually from the carbs we eat. If I'm eating less than 40gms of carbohydrate per day, where does the glucose in my blood come from. I thought my body was now happily converting fats and protein in the absence of carbs. It's taken 4 years to start doing that, but the glucose is coming from somewhere. Or have I misinterpreted your statement.

No one produces glucose.

Your body does create glucose from the food you eat. It doesn't endogenously produce glucose. If you are eating lees than 40g of carbs then yes, your body is turning protein and amino acids in fats into glucose. It is not producing glucose.

So, no one produces glucose. That's not a thing. That's not how the body works. You don't magically produce glucose from nowhere, you have to eat something for it to be turned into glucose. It's not produced enogenously by the body.

Does that clarify?