Is there such a thing as high calorie low carb diet?

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an underweight T2, currently about eight and a half stones, two or three years ago I was about one stone heavier. I've lost most of my subcutaneous fat and really do need to regain some weight. I'm managing my BG pretty well with a LCHF diet but need somehow to increase my intake or uptake of calories or something that will aid weight gain. Anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried eating more protein? Nuts? And if you're not dairy intolerant - cheese and cream.

Reactions: CHIET1
D

Deleted member 308541

I've lost most of my subcutaneous fat and really do need to regain some weight.
I am in a similar position as I have gone below my target weight of 90kg, I have been adding extra fats / oil to my veggies / salads to see if that will help me put it back on.

I am sort of flying in the dark at the moment, as my scales read different weights every time I stand on them. An example it read 15kg when I stood on them, got of and let it settle then got back on and it read 120kg, same stuff happens when my partner gets on them <sarcasm> I recommend Weight Watcher scales.</sarcasm>

I have to go to my GP next week so I will check on the scales there.

Reactions: Kevin259

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All you can do is increase fats and/or protein. When I needed to stop losing and maintain it took me quite a long time to find the right balance without increasing my carbs. I had to go back to measuring things, keeping a record and using my scales to tell me. I added more eggs and introduced cheese, which had never been in my diet previously. I can't eat nuts or I would have tried those. I also increased a few other fats bit by bit. It was harder than losing the weight in the first place, but after a lot of trial and error I found the right balance and have managed to maintain now for 2 and a half years.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
macadamia-nuts are very tasty and are the most fatty nut there is... and as I am informed there are not anything dangerous in eating a lot of them like there could be when talking about brazil-nuts that can easily lead to selenium poisoning

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I lose weight when I don't eat too late in the day. Maybe try the opposite. Have a hearty supper?

Reactions: zand and Freema

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm an underweight T2, currently about eight and a half stones, two or three years ago I was about one stone heavier. I've lost most of my subcutaneous fat and really do need to regain some weight. I'm managing my BG pretty well with a LCHF diet but need somehow to increase my intake or uptake of calories or something that will aid weight gain. Anyone have any ideas?

Dave
Pecans, I was amazed at how many kilojoiles they contain.

Reactions: Freema

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said, cheese and nuts are good.

Oily fish tends to be high cal low carb.

Avocado is my one a day. It's not as high as nuts but you get to cover it in olive oil and garlic.... :)

Prawns are pretty high protein, with low carbs (0.9%) and low fat (1.5%)... go well with avocado EVOO and garlic!!

pete254

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Dave
Hello Dave, I am in a similar situation as you with a BMI < 19. I have managed to keep my weight stable for the last six months by adding an olive oil vinaigrette to my lunchtime salad. That's a whopping extra 300 calories worth of good fat, no carbs and it tastes good! Give it a try.
Pete

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
YEs, a LCHF diet is for you. Keep the carbs low but add more fat to your diet. And don't be scared of Saturated fat either. In all the talks, presentations, interviews I've seen it's been said that there is zero evidence that satfat causes heart disease and other issues.
Fat is high calories and sounds like what you need. Meat, dairy, nuts. yum

jennykorpes

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't believe in that kind of diets. The best is to have a balanced and healthy diet with almost everything.

lindisfel

Expert
You must be a very tall guy or a body builder with a target weight above 90kg? D.
I am in a similar position as I have gone below my target weight of 90kg, I have been adding extra fats / oil to my veggies / salads to see if that will help me put it back on.

I am sort of flying in the dark at the moment, as my scales read different weights every time I stand on them. An example it read 15kg when I stood on them, got of and let it settle then got back on and it read 120kg, same stuff happens when my partner gets on them <sarcasm> I recommend Weight Watcher scales.</sarcasm>

I have to go to my GP next week so I will check on the scales there.

CHIET1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hyperglycemia, hpyos, fake food!
More protein - oily fish like mackerel, sardines, eggs, beef, lamb, chicken

More good fats mono and sat - add avocados and Macao nuts to your meals, olive oil, coco oil, some hard cheeses if you tolerate dairy well, make your own mayonaisse with olive oil and free range eggs, add this to your meals

Then if you can physically, look into strength and resistance training to build muscle. Best to get some guidance from a trainer if not familiar with such activity.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't believe in that kind of diets. The best is to have a balanced and healthy diet with almost everything.

What do you mean nobody told him not to eat varied type of foods when low carbing, as I read the answers there is only a suggestion to add something with more fat or protein to what the OP is already eating. Low carb can also be varied and healthy with lots of nutrient and food choices . What is avoided is the carbs not the other nutrients . Carbs are really not essential But in some carby foods there are good nutrients of cause like in many veggs . But Rice wheat and potatoes and sugar does not contain anything you cant easily get from another food source

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I do not know and still have a load of weight to lose but I have found variances in how hungry I am during the day according to what I have for breakfast. - Hmm I do not have a meter so there may be a good reason and it is harmful but I know you do check. If I have porridge or berries and cream for breakfast I am ravenous all day and constantly picking at stuff. My usual breakfast is a two egg omelette and this covers me to lunch. It would be rare for me to eat again before dinner and even rarer to have something after the main course. If I am likely to miss lunch or have a strenuous day ahead I microwave a buttered lidl roll filled with cheddar for 20 secs and cover it with koads of cream cheese. This is delicious but at times like that I am glad I am too lazy to count calories. So maybe occassionally missing the sensible start for the day and going for something that leaves you snacking would help. I find I do not want lunch if I have fried sausage, bacon and egg but we only do that when we have someone staying so there is a distraction factor plus the fact that would normally be served later in the morning will also have a bearing.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
This is the kind of advice we've been given since the 70s and 80s. Advice that has built a planet of ever increasing fat people and diabetics. Like others have said eating everything in moderation/balanced diet is part of the problem.

The advice that we should eat "healthy" foods like brown bread, wheat and grains, starchy veggies like potatoes was only introduced back then and that's when the problems started.

This advice also said that fat is bad for us is also a lie. The sooner dieticians can change the advice they give, the better.

As a diabetic we are also told to eat these foods, count the carbs and adjust our medication accordingly. Which is literally exacerbating the problem. By continuing to eat carbs we are making ourselves sicker.

Even my diabetic nurse/dietician told me she agrees with the LCHF/Keto diets but isn't allowed to recommend it because of the current advice given in the Govt Guidelines. If found out she could probably lose her job and license.

Watch talks about this and you'll find no evidence that Fat is bad, but plenty that Fat and low carbs are good: Heres a great one from Dr Ann Childers