Is this a blood sugar problem

Rhear00f

Hi,

For many many many years now I've struggled with stomach issues. They come on when I haven't eaten for a few hours and feel like a sudden, intense physical hunger. My stomach makes SO much noise and I start to feel anxious. It happens through the day and into the night - often keeping me up. Within a few minutes of eating the problem goes away.

I have been testing my glucose levels when this happens using my partner's Freestyle Optimum Neo (he's a keto enthusiast!) and getting numbers of between 4-5mmol/l. My HbALc is 5.3. These numbers don't shout problem according to anything I can find or according to my doctors but I wondered if the above sounds familiar to anyone. Is there a chance that blood sugar may still be the cause?

Thank you for the help/feedback. I'm desperate to find a solution, if only to sleep through the night occassionally!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

When exactly do you test your blood sugars? Before you eat, after you eat regularly every half an hour for 3 or 4 hours? Doing that might give some clues.

Rhear00f

Thanks for the responses far. I have only been testing when I get the aforementioned "symptoms". I will do as you suggest and test in a more scheduled manner.

bulkbiker, I appreciate the response but I wish it felt like standard hunger! It's a very physical response but I lack an appetite completely and end up forcing myself to overeat day and night just for a sense of relieve.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the responses far. I have only been testing when I get the aforementioned "symptoms". I will do as you suggest and test in a more scheduled manner.

bulkbiker, I appreciate the response but I wish it felt like standard hunger! It's a very physical response but I lack an appetite completely and end up forcing myself to overeat day and night just for a sense of relieve.
What have you eaten before you get these feelings?

Rhear00f

I've kept various food diaries over the years but I can't find any pattern with what I'm eating. Often they occur in the morning before I've eaten anything that day. I might have a coffee and eggs etc and they they start on average again around 11am and so on. I try and keep my diet fairly balanced focusing on fats and proteins so most meals will resemble some form or protein with vegetables. I'm trying trying keto but have only been eating this way for a few days so far. I've found that continuous snacking - on cheese, chocolate, eggs etc anything really besides fruit - is the only way to keep them at bay.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've kept various food diaries over the years but I can't find any pattern with what I'm eating. Often they occur in the morning before I've eaten anything that day. I might have a coffee and eggs etc and they they start on average again around 11am and so on. I try and keep my diet fairly balanced focusing on fats and proteins so most meals will resemble some form or protein with vegetables. I'm trying trying keto but have only been eating this way for a few days so far. I've found that continuous snacking - on cheese, chocolate, eggs etc anything really besides fruit - is the only way to keep them at bay.
This is going to sound weird, but have you tried drinking? Hunger and thirst can actually feel the same way. (That gnawing hunger feeling, you know?).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

For many many many years now I've struggled with stomach issues. They come on when I haven't eaten for a few hours and feel like a sudden, intense physical hunger. My stomach makes SO much noise and I start to feel anxious. It happens through the day and into the night - often keeping me up. Within a few minutes of eating the problem goes away.

I have been testing my glucose levels when this happens using my partner's Freestyle Optimum Neo (he's a keto enthusiast!) and getting numbers of between 4-5mmol/l. My HbALc is 5.3. These numbers don't shout problem according to anything I can find or according to my doctors but I wondered if the above sounds familiar to anyone. Is there a chance that blood sugar may still be the cause?

Thank you for the help/feedback. I'm desperate to find a solution, if only to sleep through the night occassionally!

How long has this been going on, and what have you tried to resolve it?

Rhear00f

How long has this been going on, and what have you tried to resolve it?

20 years!

I have seen numerous gastro's who have done a lot of tests - multiple endoscopies, colonoscopies, scan etc. They tell me there is nothing wrong. I have been on every elimination diet I can - gluten, diary, sugar. You name it I've probably eliminated
it. I've had allergy testing multiple times. Naturopaths and supplements. Antidepressants and anti-acids. Breathing training. Sleep studies. I have muscular symptoms also so I have seen a fair number of neurologist. I am now also seeing an endo but he is currently repeating tests I've had before.

I didn't think about this as hunger until recently - because it doesn't come with an appetite - but a doctor I saw said my leptin levels are very high which suggests some form of energy disregulation. That's when I started to google and came across hunger - and/or hypoglycaemia sounding like what I experience.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im now a live culture Greek yogurt eater.I ran out and for 3 days I had heartburn until I got more.Maybe your gut biome is off? Try that and see if possibly any help?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I agree with the poster above, I had a bacterial infection in my stomach, which caused me a lot of digestive problems (and noises!)
The gut biome system is very diverse, it's like fingerprints and your eyes, the makeup is yours and yours alone.
Having had a endoscopy, did the test check for the really bad bacteria, rather than just checking that there was no ulcers and such?
The bacteria I had was heliocobacter pylori.
A course of antibiotics soon sorted it!

Unless you have recorded hypos, and had the subsequent tests, I don't believe you have Hypoglycaemia.

Rhear00f

I agree with the poster above, I had a bacterial infection in my stomach, which caused me a lot of digestive problems (and noises!)
The gut biome system is very diverse, it's like fingerprints and your eyes, the makeup is yours and yours alone.
Having had a endoscopy, did the test check for the really bad bacteria, rather than just checking that there was no ulcers and such?
The bacteria I had was heliocobacter pylori.
A course of antibiotics soon sorted it!

Unless you have recorded hypos, and had the subsequent tests, I don't believe you have Hypoglycaemia.

I don't believe by gut biome is causing my issues. I have tested negative for h pylori three times and I had stool analysis. The endoscopies included a biopsy for other bacteria also. I have tried highly recommended pre and probiotics without a ounce of change. I recently did a SIBO test which came back negative. Actually that was kind of the reason I started to take the blood sugar thing seriously. By day 3 of the prep diet (I was only eating some rice and eggs) I felt so bad - like I was sort of passing in and out of consciousness.

I am just confused as to why it starts so suddenly, is a very specific symptom (I don't have other issues after food like bloating or gas etc) related to 2-4 hours after I've eaten or reoccurring from this point until I eat again, and then stops literally 30 seconds after I start eating! It's literally my stomach (right up under my left rib) not by intestines etc.

Thanks for your response :)