Is this a Hypo?

Charly23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not sure if I am having Hypo's or if it is something else as I haven't had them before but this has happened twice in the last month. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am 64 years young and have been a T2 Diabetic for 3 years, up to now all has been good. My 'Normal' BS runs at around 6, these 2 episodes I have are as follows and just come out of the blue. I start to feel very light headed and dizzy, I check my BS it's at 6.0 then I start to get very shaky all over, I check my BP which is usually normal but it rockets to 185/101 I check my BS again only a few mins after the first check and its below 5 and dropping, I start getting slight palpitations. I chew 2 glucose pills and eat a banana, slowly my BS comes back up, still feel awful, BP remains high but the shakiness and dizziness calms a bit. I feel very weak and sleepy and then sleep for hours. When I wake I still feel a bit weak and trembly but BS is normal again, BP is coming down but not quite back to normal yet. Can anyone tellme if this was a Hypo attack please as I don't want to bother a doctor if this is all part and parcel of T2 Diabetes, Thankyou for reading.

FuryG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! @Charly23x
Is the glucose reader readings accurate?
did you try to compare it to another one?
it may be giving up wrong readings
hopefully this helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have glucose pills are you taking insulin or some glucose reducing tablet?
If you are on medication it might be that you need to speak to your doctor or nurse if she is in charge of such things, to see if you need to reduce it or alter how you take it.

Charly23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ty for your reply, yes it's accurate, I did try 2 different meters.

Reactions: FuryG

Charly23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just take 1 x 30g Gliclazide a day, in all this time I have never been asked to see a nurse, just my doctor. The Glucose tablets are bought over the counter, I only chew 2 if i'm out and start to feel a bit shaky, they help til I can get something to eat.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Charly23x Your symptoms sound very much like a low blood glucose episode however your blood glucose results indicate that this isn't a hypo, you can experience hypo like symptoms if your blood glucose levels drop quickly however you would still register as 'normal' on a blood glucose meter. I would book an appointment with your GP to discuss these symptoms, as you are on medication it is wise to get some professional input on this and put your mind at rest, good luck ;)

DAC1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Swede
I absolutely agree with Charly that you need some professional input, be it your GP, diabetic nurse or best of all, your diabetic consultant if you have confidence in him/her. I think your BP also needs investigation in case it is not BS related. Best wishes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I would see the GP just in case it's a heart rhythm problem which might explain the big BP change.

Charly23x

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ty for your replies, I have made an apt with my GP for Thursday hopefully i'll get to the bottom of it.

mo cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i can see the enquirer's BS isn't so bad, but i'm experiencing dizzy spells when i know i'm not low. this has been on and off for a few years, with doctor and optician checks. i worked out it happens after i eat. this morning i've just had a cup of tea and some low sugar granola (3% sugar) but i've had to have a sit down as very dizzy. I'm on metformin and glizamide. last HB1Ac 80 . been T2 for 15 yrs, and have had a lot of success in the past, but can't seem to get control it now. I'm expecting to move onto insulin in next few months. question.... is insulin likely to help with these dizzy spells.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd be dizzy if I ate cereal - they all seem to be well over 40 percent carbs even when low sugar I stick to under 11 percent for everyday foods, or very small amounts if more than that, but nothing so high as a cereal.
Have you tried something lower in carbs to see if that reduces the dizziness?
The Hba1c of 80 must be worrying.