Is this Greek yogurt low Carb?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just discovered lactose free strawberry Greek yogurt in asda, but I don't know if it's suitable for a low Carb diet. I've only seen plain Greek yogurts recommended. Would this be OK?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah I didn't realise they did a plain one. Only saw the strawberry one in store

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah I didn't realise they did a plain one. Only saw the strawberry one in store
How about buying plain greek yogurt, and addind your own berries?
I buy frozen raspberries and strawberries to add to mine.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Without the sugar and starch added to the strawberry yoghurt, it would probably be OK, but as in so many cases, buying the plain one and adding your own berries is a better option

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said better to add your own berries - you get a lot of raspberries/strawberries for the saved 6g carbs and avoid the gunk in the flavoured yoghurt.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
buying the plain one and adding your own berries is a better option

And if you have a blender you can add frozen berries and end up with delicious ice cream (add whipped cream for extra yumminess).

D

Deleted member 543160

Something you should be aware of too, is that this is a 450g pot, so while the carbs per 100g are OK, if you intend to eat it all in one go, the actual total carb content is closer to 20g.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Something you should be aware of too, is that this is a 450g pot, so while the carbs per 100g are OK, if you intend to eat it all in one go, the actual total carb content is closer to 20g.

Gosh I couldn't eat it all in one go! Lol think I'd be sick!

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday I bought a lactose free plain yogurt in Morrison's. I tried some, but found it too sweet. So def wouldn't want to add berries to it.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I still stick with the lovely Greek yogurt from Lidl.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday I bought a lactose free plain yogurt in Morrison's. I tried some, but found it too sweet. So def wouldn't want to add berries to it.

Hi there - Are you actually lactose intolerant, or are you trying to trim back the carbs that way?

If you tolerate lactose, why not just go with ordinary plain Greek yoghurt (or that of your choice)? I find it mush simplet to keep my food choices simple, although being strictly gluten-free that introduces an extra element, albeit mainly with packaged goods, because I just avoid the grains etc., containing gluten.