1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Is this normal or unusual?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Mal37, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Mal37

Mal37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Following a discussion yesterday with other forum members, I took the bull by the horn (well... sounds dramatic) and I missed breakfast for the very first time ... not eating until 1.45pm.
    My blood glucose just prior to the meal was 4.6 ... NEVER seen a 4 before! and I have tested .. out of curiosity at the hour stage.
    It is 5.6 !!! I had expected it to be far more after just 60 minutes since my first bite of food,.
    I have never done this before so could do with a kind person explaining this low reading

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

Not unusual at all. Since I started missing breakfast food (I have a coffee with cream) I have seen many, many 4s before lunch. If I see above 5 I am unhappy! The only times this doesn't happen is if I spend the morning doing a lot of housework that makes my liver dump. Missing breakfast clearly suits your metabolism. Stick at it!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mal37

Mal37 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your support Bluetit1802, and guidance too

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

We have been brainwashed into thinking that eating at meal times is so vital to our health, that fasting is frowned upon by our peers!

You should eat when you want to, not necessarily at breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper!
    Plus all those snacks in between, wow!

5. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

I checked several times and found that I am just the opposite - if I eat early and late I am fine, not eating in a morning and my BG level just keeps on climbing, when I eat lunch it goes on up and then drops like a stone in the late afternoon unless I eat again.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook