Is this normal

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you might be able to shed some light on this for me.
Fasting blood glucose level around 7.0 - I eat natural Greek Yogurt for breakfast and my levels drop into the 6.5 range prior to lunch. Last nights dinner was pork with cabbage and runner beans with a small amount of gravy - I am aware the gravy has a thickening agent in it but amount was so small I did not think it would be too much.

It is hard to know if I am doing things right on trying to cut down on carbs and I personnally am finding it really tough going although I am told it will get easier with time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why is fasting level higher than reading following breakfast

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because the liver feeds you sugar if you haven't eaten for a while (fasted). It does this for two reasons. If you run out of sugar in the blood you die and it supplies a sort of timed dump to start your day. Look up Liver dump or Dawn Phenomenon.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you I will investigate.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It took about 6 months of low carbing for my liver to stop dumping so much.. in fact my readings can still sometimes be higher for my first test of the day usually about 15 minutes after getting up (empty dishwasher and make the tea) then they come down over the day.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Good to hear someone else has the same thing happening - I am a little concerned that this will always mean my fasting blood sugar Hba1c is not going to be good - any way I can get this down within the 'normal' range?

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to hear someone else has the same thing happening - I am a little concerned that this will always mean my fasting blood sugar Hba1c is not going to be good - any way I can get this down within the 'normal' range?

It happens to almost everyone, including non-diabetics. It is a natural occurrence.
If you want to know by how much your liver is dumping, test before bed and maybe also during the night if you wake up. Look at the difference.

Also, you said you dropped from around 7 before breakfast to around 6.5 by lunch time. What are you 2 hours after your first bite of breakfast?

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My blood glucose levels are still fluctuating so 2 hours after breakfast the reading can be anything from 1.0 to 1.5 lower than my fasting reading and my fasting reading is not normally any lower than 7.0 and can be as high as 9.0.
I really don't want to have my medication increased following my next Hba1C which takes place in 8 weeks time, my day time readings are getting close to where my doctor wants my fasting readings to be but it feels like it is not possible...........

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. In general it is best to largely ignore fasting readings due to the liver dump. The readings 2 hours after a meal and the HBa1c are more useful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick. Your Hba1c gives a picture of your blood glucose levels for the past two or three months. Although it will include your morning readings, you don't have to fast to have it done.

If you eat small regular amounts during the day to stop liver dumps you might get a bit more control. Sometimes, if you get that right the morning reading gets better also.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Just wanted to point out that, while not wonderful, reading sunder 7.0mmols ARE in the normal range. If none of readings are much higher over a 3 month period, and regularly below 7...your HbA1c will show you as non-diabetic (or pre-diabetic)...waking levels are seldom the lowest reading of the day for many many Type 2s. For me to have readings of 7 or under for a whole day would mean simply no carbs that day.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, forget your fasting BG levels. There are too many factors involved over which we have little control. Concentrate more on your day time levels after food.

For a week or two test every meal before you eat and 2 hours after first bite. Keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside. You will soon see which foods are causing your levels to rise and will be able to tweak that meal by reducing the amount of carbs - either eliminating or seriously reducing portion sizes. Diet is the key to control, and unless you find a suitable way of eating you won't gain control. Testing as I suggested will help you. Bread of any colour, rice, pasta, cereals, potatoes and things made with flour are the worst culprits and need attention - by testing. Get the diet right and hopefully your general levels throughout the day will come down. Once that has happened, your morning FBG should start to improve.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have a question for pleinster. Your last sentence say simply no carbs that day. Tell me what do you eat because most food have carbs and it is quite impossible to eat no carbs at all. All vegetables have carbs.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My blood glucose levels are still fluctuating so 2 hours after breakfast the reading can be anything from 1.0 to 1.5 lower than my fasting reading and my fasting reading is not normally any lower than 7.0 and can be as high as 9.0.
I really don't want to have my medication increased following my next Hba1C which takes place in 8 weeks time, my day time readings are getting close to where my doctor wants my fasting readings to be but it feels like it is not possible...........

Another possible cause.... Are you testing right when you get up or are you up for awhile doing things before you eat ? I need to eat pretty much right away before I do anything or I will go up.
I have a question for pleinster. Your last sentence say simply no carbs that day. Tell me what do you eat because most food have carbs and it is quite impossible to eat no carbs at all. All vegetables have carbs.

If I have a 'no carb ' day it's not none but I will eat things like egg,chicken or turkey salad with mayo, guacamole with a spoon, a couple nuts but keeping all portions small. I need to watch protein portions as they will spike me almost as much as carbs but many people don't have that problem, but many do. Testing....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Why do you think it is impossible to eat no carbs at all? Meat has no carbs, most fish have no carbs, cheese has negligible amounts.. Also fasting has no carbs too.

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cheese and salads do have carbs but very minimal. You guys are so well versed in your carbs. Thank you for explaining to me. I know we do need good carbs, not the bad ones.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have high morning readings because of liver dumping. I had the same worries about my HBA 1C because of this, I thought it would bump it up. However, despite the high a.m, readings, I dropped from 97 at diagnosis to 49 only 3 months later. I'm due another HBA1C later this month and am hoping it will have dropped again.

My fasting reading goes up and up unless I eat. So, usually its around 7.5 on waking, I eat a low carb breakfast and it rises by around 1 point after 2 hours, then drops steadily through the morning until it's around 6.5 before lunch. It then drops to lower readings through the afternoon. However, yesterday it was 7.4 on waking, I didn't eat breakfast for various reasons, but did test when I got to work. It was 9.8 . An hour after that it was 10.2 I haven't had those sorts of numbers for ages. It did drop to 7.8 by lunchtime, but remained higher than normal (for me) for the rest of the day.

I have read up on dawn phenomenon and have tried everything to combat it, but with no luck. My morning numbers are lower than when I first started lchf eating, but are still too high. I am having to think about whether i want to start on meds to try to get them lower o_O

Reactions: 2 people