licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
im sick to death of berries and yogurt
so had this today and i enjoyed it so much (40g)
im not sure on how many carbs is good
in all honesty ive been off low carb for a while and not caring what ive eaten and im noticing the effects now as feel drained

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 257
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 261
D

Deleted Account

Everyone is different and react differently to different foods with different amounts of carbs.
The only way of finding out whether these are suitable for you is to test, eat and test 2 hour later. If your BG has gone up more than 2mmol/l, they are probably not for you. With a carb content of 58%, they are likely to push your BG up but you may be lucky.
Berries and yoghurt are often recommended because they have less carbs so many people with diabetes can eat them without a large affect on their BG.
Eggs are also suggested for breakfast.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Everyone is different and react differently to different foods with different amounts of carbs.
The only way of finding out whether these are suitable for you is to test, eat and test 2 hour later. If your BG has gone up more than 2mmol/l, they are probably not for you. With a carb content of 58%, they are likely to push your BG up but you may be lucky.
Berries and yoghurt are often recommended because they have less carbs so many people with diabetes can eat them without a large affect on their BG.
Eggs are also suggested for breakfast.
i only had 40 g and that says 28g ( i weighed it)
hopefully will be ok, i didnt test before but will test soon
i made a mushroom, onion and pepper quiche earlier for snacking on

Reactions: Arlmy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might discover that the processed oats are able to give up their carbs faster than unprocessed rolled oats.
As one serving is 23gm of carb, that is quite a hefty amount, and in an easily digested form too - perhaps eaten occasionally it might work for you, maybe before taking exercise?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So you have been off low carb for a little while, you then do not test before this foodstuff. That means you may have had a higher bg before eating so your post meal reading will tell you nothing. When trying unfamiliar foods it is best to test before and after otherwise you waste your strips. You obviously read the labels but you cannot expect another person to say how you, personally, will react to a new food.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your last HbA1c was terrific, but if you get complacent and don't test in a structured way you may very well end up back where you started I'm afraid. This was a new food, and carb heavy, so you need to test before, after 1 hour, after 2 hours, and maybe even after 2.5 or 3 hours if necessary. Did you add water, milk or cream?

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
Your last HbA1c was terrific, but if you get complacent and don't test in a structured way you may very well end up back where you started I'm afraid. This was a new food, and carb heavy, so you need to test before, after 1 hour, after 2 hours, and maybe even after 2.5 or 3 hours if necessary. Did you add water, milk or cream?
full fat greek yogurt and a big spoonful of creme frais

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
tested just this second and its 7.0
at 12.40 it was the same

I tolerate oats OK myself once or twice a week. I use the Lowan rolled oats as the GI is quite good and have only 50g. Total carbs including the milk is just under 30g with a good GI. I don't get spikes with this. I'd steer away from the instant oats, the GI is horrendous with these. Adding full fat yoghurt helps as the fat slows down digestion and helps GI. The catch is that although it doesn't spike as high, it takes a bit longer to come down. Best option is to do some meter tests and see if you can handle it OK.

Glenn

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tested just this second and its 7.0
at 12.40 it was the same

If you enjoyed it, it may be a good idea to do a structured test, before,1hr, 2hrs and 3hrs. and then decide if it is OK for you. 7 is high so long after a meal, but as you don't know what you were before eating you can't know how good or bad it is for you.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
If you enjoyed it, it may be a good idea to do a structured test, before,1hr, 2hrs and 3hrs. and then decide if it is OK for you. 7 is high so long after a meal, but as you don't know what you were before eating you can't know how good or bad it is for you.
i did enjoy it
i dont do breakfast weekends so will be sure to test before next time i have it
just tested again and my level is now 5.9

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
dont think this is for me
9.50 just before i ate 7.0 (have stnking cold, cough and bad chest)
10.40... 11.4
made with unsweetened almosnd milk and a big dollop of creme frais

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
dont think this is for me
9.50 just before i ate 7.0 (have stnking cold, cough and bad chest)
10.40... 11.4
made with unsweetened almosnd milk and a big dollop of creme frais

You need the 2 hour test, and some after the 2 hour mark. That 11.4 reading was less than an hour.

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
You need the 2 hour test, and some after the 2 hour mark. That 11.4 reading was less than an hour.
tested again just now whilei remembered as busy crocheting and level is now 9.4
i feel lousy

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
tested again just now whilei remembered as busy crocheting and level is now 9.4
i feel lousy

You really need to set yourself reminders on your meter (or alarm clock!) to alert you to when it is time to test. It really is important to be organised, and have a consistent and structured approach. The tests should be immediately before you eat, then at 2 hours after first bite. You can also do an hour after first bite, 2.5 hours after, 3 hours after, whatever takes your fancy.

However, I think you have learnt a lesson today, that this breakfast is not a good choice for you. :) If you still feel lousy, drink some water and go for a walk.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Id say
1) if you really want to include it in your diet, then test it again in a structured way when you havent got a cold. If theresults are similar than ditch it
2) If youre not too hung up on the specific food, then ditch it and test something else - whole oats and non dairy milk might be a better bet if you want to experiment with fairly carby breakfasts

licklemoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
the heat
You really need to set yourself reminders on your meter (or alarm clock!) to alert you to when it is time to test. It really is important to be organised, and have a consistent and structured approach. The tests should be immediately before you eat, then at 2 hours after first bite. You can also do an hour after first bite, 2.5 hours after, 3 hours after, whatever takes your fancy.

However, I think you have learnt a lesson today, that this breakfast is not a good choice for you. :) If you still feel lousy, drink some water and go for a walk.
i agree with alarms as i get so into what im doing time just shoots by, ive been drinking water (and peeing for england) but as for going for a walk theres no way i just dont have energy at all today, im hoping its down to this cold ect that i have
and i wont be having that for breakfast again
are there any good low carb cereals i could have?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aldi do a paleo muesli thats low carb ( beware their other paleo product arent)