Is this result really so bad?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Hello everyone, I am a Type 2 and have just had results through from my blood test four days ago.
I show a raised cholestrol level of 6 ( I was 5.8 when tested in April of this year)
LDL Cholesterol: 3.56
HDL cholesterol: 1.93
It doesn't give trigs ... just these two.
Since attending last blood tests in April I have had two big shocks in my life ... the first was the sudden and unexpected death of my mum, and following on just weeks later ... my Fiance calling our engagement off.
I was in turmoil over both, and stopped 'looking after myself' and ate stupidly at times (not always)
My GP wants to put me on Statins but surely such a slight cholesterol raise in the circumstances doesn't warrent this?
I desperately need sound advice on my dilemma. Thanking you all in anticipation

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I am a Type 2 and have just had results through from my blood test four days ago.
I show a raised cholestrol level of 6 ( I was 5.8 when tested in April of this year)
LDL Cholesterol: 3.56
HDL cholesterol: 1.93
It doesn't give trigs ... just these two.
Since attending last blood tests in April I have had two big shocks in my life ... the first was the sudden and unexpected death of my mum, and following on just weeks later ... my Fiance calling our engagement off.
I was in turmoil over both, and stopped 'looking after myself' and ate stupidly at times (not always)
My GP wants to put me on Statins but surely such a slight cholesterol raise in the circumstances doesn't warrent this?
I desperately need sound advice on my dilemma. Thanking you all in anticipation

Hi Coby,

This website might help: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

When you enter your numbers in the calculator, it will give you your triglycerides and your ratios. When you do this, you will see that your total cholesterol and LDL is borderline and that all your ratios are ideal.

Hope this helps.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @coby It's entirely up to you whether you decide to take statins or not. A rise of 0.2 isn't too high in 6 months.

I was on statins for about 7 years, and stopped taking them after my T2 diagnosis. My total cholesterol went up from 4.7 to 6.12 twelve months later, then reduced to 5.8 the following year, and down again to 5.5 this year.

You will see a lot of discussion on here as to whether one should take statins or not. Personally I don't have any strong objection - I didn't get any side effects apart from some initial muscle pain in my shoulders and upper arms. But others have had more severe side effects.
But although my gp wanted me to go back onto statins as my level is above what the NHS guidelines is for T2s (4.0) I have declined as I don't think my levels are too high, and higher cholesterol can be better for older men.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @coby It's entirely up to you whether you decide to take statins or not. A rise of 0.2 isn't too high in 6 months.

I was on statins for about 7 years, and stopped taking them after my T2 diagnosis. My total cholesterol went up from 4.7 to 6.12 twelve months later, then reduced to 5.8 the following year, and down again to 5.5 this year.

You will see a lot of discussion on here as to whether one should take statins or not. Personally I don't have any strong objection - I didn't get any side effects apart from some initial muscle pain in my shoulders and upper arms. But others have had more severe side effects.
But although my gp wanted me to go back onto statins as my level is above what the NHS guidelines is for T2s (4.0) I have declined as I don't think my levels are too high, and higher cholesterol can be better for older men.
Thank you for your response Prem51 ... it makes me feel so much better to know that I shouldn't be too alarmed with my results. I have always looked after myself until this past five months of turmoil, and do so want to be able to get back on track. Did you do anything special to lower your cholesterol levels?

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Coby,

This website might help: http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

When you enter your numbers in the calculator, it will give you your triglycerides and your ratios. When you do this, you will see that your total cholesterol and LDL is borderline and that all your ratios are ideal.

Hope this helps.
Oh thank you! I will take a look :) That sounds thrilling!

Reactions: Serena51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Did you do anything special to lower your cholesterol levels?
Not really, I did start putting on more weight than I would like, so there's more of me for the cholesterol to be sloshing around in!

You might find this useful:

Reactions: coby

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke to quite a few people about statins at the weekend. All had aches and pains in their limbs, were concerned about their memory - all had been assured that their problems could not possibly be caused by the statins, and that they needed to continue to take them to ensure their continued 'good health' - when some of them needed crutches or sticks just to walk about.
There were a couple who had stopped the statins and put away their walking aids.
When the symptoms are so very alike person to person, I think that more attention should be given to these problems and the pushing of statins stopped.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke to quite a few people about statins at the weekend. All had aches and pains in their limbs, were concerned about their memory - all had been assured that their problems could not possibly be caused by the statins, and that they needed to continue to take them to ensure their continued 'good health' - when some of them needed crutches or sticks just to walk about.
There were a couple who had stopped the statins and put away their walking aids.
When the symptoms are so very alike person to person, I think that more attention should be given to these problems and the pushing of statins stopped.
I work with someone who is on statins and has memory problems and aching arms and legs but, despite her last cholesterol result being 4.5, because her doctor tells her to keep taking them she does even though she is on her third make of statin because of the reactions shehad to them.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so glad that I posted my question because you have all helped to put into perspective just what is .. or isn't happening with my body right now. I DID lose weight quickly biut not a great amount since I didn't need to. I went from just over 10 stone last April down to 9 stone by end of May but with the shock of my mum's sudden death I went stupid (comfort eating) stopped all testing and didn't even bother to weigh myself as I didn't want to face the damage I'd done. This morning I stood on the scales to find my weight is only up by a few pounds ... I'm 9 stone six pounds!!! I was convinced that I'd be right back where I'd started. Thank you all for making a difference. Now I just have to face the diabetic nurse on Friday morning ... armed with knowledge now though :)

Last edited:

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I am so glad that I posted my question because you have all helped to put into perspective just what is .. or isn't happening with my body right now. I DID lose weight quickly biut not a great amount since I didn't need to. I went from just over 10 stone last April down to 9 stone by end of May but with the shock of my mum's sudden death I went stupid (comfort eating) stopped all testing and didn't even bother to weigh myself as I didn't want to face the damage I'd done. This morning I stood on the scales to find my weight is only up by a few pounds ... I'm 9 stone three pounds!!! I was convinced that I'd be right back where I'd started. Thank you all for making a difference. Now I just have to face the diabetic nurse on Friday morning ... armed with knowledge now though :)

That's great news!

Reactions: Dodo and coby

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been on LCHF since probably June of 2017 after being diagnosed T2. I got my A1C down to normal levels, no meds, blood tests good, chol levels good, lost 55 pounds. Then on my last blood test results my A1C went up from 5.5 to 7. Why? I admit, over the summer I did eat two or three things not on Keto, like a very small hot fudge sundae, but that shouldn't have made a difference since it was only the once. Since the season change my mood/stress levels have been very erratic/high. I had my blood work on Sept. 24. My BG readings have been up and down this past month or so, too. I almost forgot, in May I had a bleed and my hemoglobin went from 135 down to 85. Almost low enough for blood transfusions. It's now back up to 134. Scopes showed nothing, except some stomach lining inflammation. I also had bariatric surgery 38 years ago, which might account for the blood loss/inflammation. Could these fluctuations be from the stress and maybe too much cortisol from stress, not to mention the low hemoglobin? It's very frustrating because I'm working at this so this also stresses me out. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have been on LCHF since probably June of 2017 after being diagnosed T2. I got my A1C down to normal levels, no meds, blood tests good, chol levels good, lost 55 pounds. Then on my last blood test results my A1C went up from 5.5 to 7. Why? I admit, over the summer I did eat two or three things not on Keto, like a very small hot fudge sundae, but that shouldn't have made a difference since it was only the once. Since the season change my mood/stress levels have been very erratic/high. I had my blood work on Sept. 24. My BG readings have been up and down this past month or so, too. I almost forgot, in May I had a bleed and my hemoglobin went from 135 down to 85. Almost low enough for blood transfusions. It's now back up to 134. Scopes showed nothing, except some stomach lining inflammation. I also had bariatric surgery 38 years ago, which might account for the blood loss/inflammation. Could these fluctuations be from the stress and maybe too much cortisol from stress, not to mention the low hemoglobin? It's very frustrating because I'm working at this so this also stresses me out. Any tips would be very much appreciated.
Do you know ... I really think stress has a lot to answer for, and does appear to make it more difficult for the entire body to work properly? I would (like yourself) welcome opinions on this too Lynnzhealth

Reactions: Lynnzhealth

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Cortisol can bond with glucose. This why we have the energy that gives us the fight or flight response. So yes, stress really does have physiological effects on bg levels.

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was watching a video on another diabetes FB site today and the lady mentioned about artificial sweeteners and how they don't recommend sweeteners because they cause the brain to think it's getting sugar and sends out signals etc. and the body sends out extra insulin. (Not sure I have that totally correct), so it got me thinking. Because I'm a sweetaholic from way back, I was wondering if I'm eating too many of these 'treats' (on a daily basis), even if they are low carb, and what they could be doing to my system. On top of the very low iron scare and the stress of the past few months. The sweeteners I've been using are Swerve, Stevia, Monk Fruit, Erythritol. I do NOT use Sugar Twin, Splenda or anything like that. I believe I really need to get off these sweeteners and stick to more legal whole foods. My diabetic educator last week said diabetes is progressive and that's why my A1C went up. She said I need to go on meds. So, I said give me three more months and if I can't get it under control then we'll discuss it. HELP!! Thank you in advance for any tips.

Last edited:

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so glad that I posted my question because you have all helped to put into perspective just what is .. or isn't happening with my body right now. I DID lose weight quickly biut not a great amount since I didn't need to. I went from just over 10 stone last April down to 9 stone by end of May but with the shock of my mum's sudden death I went stupid (comfort eating) stopped all testing and didn't even bother to weigh myself as I didn't want to face the damage I'd done. This morning I stood on the scales to find my weight is only up by a few pounds ... I'm 9 stone three pounds!!! I was convinced that I'd be right back where I'd started. Thank you all for making a difference. Now I just have to face the diabetic nurse on Friday morning ... armed with knowledge now though :)
Well ... this morning I had my appointment with the diabetic nurse, and it didn't go well. Instantly she started on the 'statin push' so I produced my results from my previous visit 6 months ago, to show that .. even though it's gone from 5.8 in April to 6 now, that there is an improvement .... my LDL was 3.79 last time but 3.56 this time, and my HDL was 1.63 last time but 1.93 now. While she agreed that these were both an improvement she still insisted that it is the OVERALL figures that are important ... and that mine had gone up!!!! PLEASE ... who is right here as I am so confused :(

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you for the link and I will try to take some of that in ... although I am rather confused today following my ordeal at the clinic!

Reactions: Serena51 and Prem51

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It’ll be a cold day in hell they’ll get me to take statins over a 0.2 total rise and an improvement in ratios. A read of at least some of the thread bulkbuilder linked to is well worthwhile.

And in regard to stress this week I’ve been shaking and on the point of vomiting with stress at times. My fingerpricks have been consistently 1-2mmol higher as a result. When I’ve consciously managed to relax and destress they’ve dropped back to expected levels. It’s like I’ve eaten extra carbs. That quick up and down. Loss of any kind is stressful. I’m not surprised you’ve had a rise

And I blame a fair bit of my diabetes on - years long - constant stress btw (as well as below par diet and exercise and genetics )

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well ... this morning I had my appointment with the diabetic nurse, and it didn't go well. Instantly she started on the 'statin push' so I produced my results from my previous visit 6 months ago, to show that .. even though it's gone from 5.8 in April to 6 now, that there is an improvement .... my LDL was 3.79 last time but 3.56 this time, and my HDL was 1.63 last time but 1.93 now. While she agreed that these were both an improvement she still insisted that it is the OVERALL figures that are important ... and that mine had gone up!!!! PLEASE ... who is right here as I am so confused :(
To be honest I think that they try to push all diabetics towards statins regardless of whether they need them or not. I took them because I was told that ‘all diabetics should be on them’ and I knew no better. However when my hba1c went up from 48 to 54 and I suffered other side effects I did some research and found a correlation between increased BS and statins so came off them with my doctor’s consent. Despite this I still have the ‘statins’ conversation at every review but always refuse the kind offer of a prescription.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It’ll be a cold day in hell they’ll get me to take statins over a 0.2 total rise and an improvement in ratios. A read of at least some of the thread bulkbuilder linked to is well worthwhile.

And in regard to stress this week I’ve been shaking and on the point of vomiting with stress at times. My fingerpricks have been consistently 1-2mmol higher as a result. When I’ve consciously managed to relax and destress they’ve dropped back to expected levels. It’s like I’ve eaten extra carbs. That quick up and down. Loss of any kind is stressful. I’m not surprised you’ve had a rise

And I blame a fair bit of my diabetes on - years long - constant stress btw (as well as below par diet and exercise and genetics )
Thank you for that. When I'm sat there with a very insistent nurse telling me that she is right and I am mis informed then it does make one wonder who/what to believe, and I did feel completely 'on my own' with this. I came away without statins this time but she insists that I am being irresponsible to avoid them should my levels be the same or higher in 6 months :(