Is this too many carbs for a meal?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a Joanna Hall book today and some of the recipes have 38g or 41g carbs per meal. Is this a lot or is it considered low carb?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
That depends on your target amount of carbs per day. For me, personally, that amount of carbs in one meal would be too many as it would exceed my daily allowance.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Too many for what? For most people, it wouldn't be a particularly carb-heavy meal.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat between 20-30g carbs in total for the whole day!

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I read that low carb is about 50g - 100g a day. This book I've got has low gi meals in it. I know there's a lot of pros and cons with gi, so that's why I asked if the meals were considered too high carb. Everyone is different, so I may try this diet and see if it works for me or not.

Reactions: lindijanice

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I wouldn't eat any meal with 40g carbs in it, just way too much for me.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a Joanna Hall book today and some of the recipes have 38g or 41g carbs per meal. Is this a lot or is it considered low carb?
It would be fine for me, for one meal of the day. I couldnt have two meals a day with that level of carbs.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Too many for me and I assume it would be much worse for RH. So I’d say too any by a long shot.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After losing several stones and becoming more active and getting into normal numbers, I can have a whole meal with that amount of carbs, counting everything including dessert. but I'd still need to avoid the foods which seem to punch above their weight when it comes to counting carbs. It would mean having had about 10 gm of carbs as a first meal and little, if anything else.
I'd have to eat such a meal as dinner, late in the evening.
I certainly would be cautious about eating that amount of carbs when trying to get BG numbers and weight down - I used to eat test, and if my BG was too high for my liking, not eat dessert.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be considered a lot by many here, myself included but it really depends what your tolerance is for some of the ingredients in the recipe. For example if I were to eat that many carbs but there were no potatoes in the meal I might be fine, if there were my BS would soar. If you really want to make some of the recipes to give them a go simply test before and after consuming that particular meal. Your body will soon let you know if the meal agrees with you or not.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think I read that low carb is about 50g - 100g a day. This book I've got has low gi meals in it. I know there's a lot of pros and cons with gi, so that's why I asked if the meals were considered too high carb. Everyone is different, so I may try this diet and see if it works for me or not.
Low carb is under 120g carbs a day, v low carb is under 50, Ive seen ketogenic desfined as anything from under 20g to under 50g per day.
I aim for 35-50g daily. Everyone is different in where they need and / or choose to set their individual carb limit. Testing your bodies blood sugar response is the only way to gauge what is too much carbs for your body

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Too many for what? For most people, it wouldn't be a particularly carb-heavy meal.

The original poster who asked the question has Reactive Hypoglycaemia according to her status, so needs to be exceptionally careful with carbs.