Issue with Preschool?

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

My daughter Mia started preschool about 4months ago (3years old). Prior to this I contacted them to explain she was type 1 diabetic (pump Medtronic 640) and to see if they would take her on if they had the training to which they agreed. My diabetic team has been in once and explained it all to them, I totally understand this is a lot to take in! After that I went to every session with my daughter for over a month to make sure they were comfortable. This is on Wednesdays and Fridays 1pm-3pm. They then felt comfortable so she now goes on her own. My question is iv requested more hours and they have told me she can only have the odd extra hours in the school holidays and I will get a days notice if that. They need 2 members of staff on at a time who are trained and this is why. This may very well be true! I know very little about the rules. I wondered if anyone else could help? I'm seeing my diabetic team again next Thursday and will discuss it with them too. I just feel if iv already hit a brick wall, what and earth is school going to be like! In all honesty it is upsetting to see that your child cant enjoy preschool longer because of diabetes however I wont let this defeat us and we shall keep going!!

Thank you to anyone who can help
Sophie and Mia

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ask your nurse if there is a support group in your area for parents of children with T1.

bobcurly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I cant help with preschool but as far as the state school goes they should have an inclusion policy that does not allow them to discriminate because of disabilities (which is what it is classed as) . So they will have care plans and people trained and need to make suitable adjustments

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have I friend who's a state primary school teacher, she's had two diabetics in her class this year and she has another coming next year, she and her classroom assistant are trained to look after them. It's a shame about your daughter's pre-school, but I don't think this is representative of primary schools

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @SophieOrman :)

Is the pre school following the Early Years scheme? If it is, I believe they have to abide by guidance for providing support for children with additional needs. What that support might be, I'm not sure, but it's worth getting some information from your local authority.

Your daughter shouldn't be discriminated against because of her Type 1.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
When I went to pre school (1996ish) my mum actually sent someone in with me every day... however, when I went to primary school the teachers were amazing. I knew who to speak to if I felt hypo, and they always made sure they knew how to test my blood sugar and what behaviour may be out of the ordinary. The dinner ladies always kept aside a cookie (which I had for pudding every day to make sure the carbs were enough) and the teachers wrote a note every day of something different had happened. One teacher actually had to treat a massive hypo, and by the time my mum arrived I was fine! my school was amazing with my diabetes, however I can't speak for other schools, and it's a shame about your experience getting more hours.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @SophieOrman

You have the right to request a “Statement of Educational need” as your child is disabled, this can include for example local council having to provided a dedicated class room assistant if needed to enable a display child to get most benefit from school. There is no need to wait until a child is 5 before starting the process.

Sorry it is a very long time since I know the details of the law on this, but it is in the 1981 Education Act. The 1944 Education Act (I think I got the date right) requires all children (regardless of any disability) to be educated according to their abilities (with no get out for lack of funds).