Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @emmawhit32 Honestly you can eat pizza and pasta, just get the bolus right and it's fine - but also as I said if your basal isn't right it will have a knock on effect so try and do some basal testing. Pizza is a little tricky as the fat from the cheese will delay the carb absorption so will take some trial and error to get right. The thing to remember about managing type 1 is that we are never working with constants, everything changes at some point or other, we have to be like bamboo in terms of flexibility to copy mentally and physically with changes, I am affected by heat, hormones, weight, exercise, stress, as long as i'm aware of the impact of these then I can change/adapt to suit but it still catches me out at times too :)

DaveTC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @emmawhit32 Honestly you can eat pizza and pasta, just get the bolus right and it's fine - but also as I said if your basal isn't right it will have a knock on effect so try and do some basal testing. Pizza is a little tricky as the fat from the cheese will delay the carb absorption so will take some trial and error to get right. The thing to remember about managing type 1 is that we are never working with constants, everything changes at some point or other, we have to be like bamboo in terms of flexibility to copy mentally and physically with changes, I am affected by heat, hormones, weight, exercise, stress, as long as i'm aware of the impact of these then I can change/adapt to suit but it still catches me out at times too :)
I'll second this, you can definitely eat pizza but don't be an idiot like me and have 2 12" deep pans for dinner as sugars can still be going up nearly 12 hours later. Lunchtime is easier to keep tracking exactly what they'll do to your bloods.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @emmawhit32
I will agree with @Juicyj as well.

just to review the main points --

keep good records , get a referral to hospital , look at basal testing , remember to think flexibly , and finally be kind to yourself --

it may take a bit of time but you will get back on top of this !!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Whereabouts in the country are you? Someone on here might be able to tell you where the nearest diabetes team to you are based. When I was discharged from A&E I googled the number of the team at the local hospital and phoned them directly - they were fantastic.
Definately just a phone call away.

leahkian

When things start to go wrong you need to go back to basics and if you have not been well another trip to the GP's to see if there is a underlying problem that is making you BS act the way they are. It is also worth noting that as the weather gets colder insulin does not act as fast as when it is hot and been the time of year it is we tend not to do as much exercise, these could effect your results. If you keep correcting your insulin regular then the body will act different so you could go back to before you were ill and try 2-3 days on the insulin you were on then to see if your bloods come back to normal. I used to have a problem when the seasons changed for about a week at a time my BS would be all over and then go back to normal and no doctor could explain it. Having diabetes for so long you think my diabetes is fine and then bang it goes wrong, this is just what diabetes does but i agree that you should be under the care of a diabetes team. You have done great with your diabetes but it is time for you to let the doctor help you, it may be a tweak or even a new type of insulin is needed but you seem a very calm person and you should get help when you need it. As you will be aware that when you are ill it takes us longer to get over things and seeing a doctor at the hospital he may do blood tests that a GP would not do. When you go to see a DNS take your BS results, how many carbs you ate and what insulin you took, i would also take some paper with questions you want to ask, one last thing do you inject in the same place as this maybe why you are spiking. Good luck and let us no how it goes

GJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Emma, please ask your GP or hospital clinic for a place on a DAFNE course (Dose adjustment for normal eating). You will learn so much that you will wonder how you got by beforehand. I have had type 1 for 55 years and went on a course 15 years ago to try to correct poor control. It changed my whole approach to coping - that and being vegan have kept me balanced for some while now with no complications.

Last edited:

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!
Emma, please ask your GP or hospital clinic for a place on a DAFNE course (Dose adjustment for normal eating). You will learn so much that you will wonder how you got by without that learning.

Problem is they are a bout a week long and I work full time I just wouldn’t have the time to go! As much as I would love to! Can you do it online??

Reactions: himtoo

GJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Problem is they are a bout a week long and I work full time I just wouldn’t have the time to go! As much as I would love to! Can you do it online??
I think that most firms will allow time off for this sort of course. Ask nicely. It would be in a firm's best interests to have a well-motivated and healthy employee rathe than one with see-saw blood glucose levels, liable to exhibit erratic behaviour.

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!
I think that most firms will allow time off for this sort of course. Ask nicely. It would be in a firm's best interests to have a well-motivated and healthy employee rathe than one with see-saw blood glucose levels, liable to exhibit erratic behaviour.

Do you know the funny thing is I haven’t had one day off sick this year!! The diabetic is the healthiest employee! Lol!

Well I was poorly but that’s was in my own time in Portugal

GJD

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
DAFNE will give you so much more confidence. You learn to estimate CHO values when not able to weigh food and adjust doses on the fly depending on blood glucose tests. You MUST test blood glucose before meals and you will be able to alter the ratios of fast acting per CHO unit of food. it's a program that teaches to to alter your doses with the varying aspects of your life and food consumption (ie Normal Eating). it's easy to use your phone to keep records with DAFNE online, together with remarks that you might want to make, and, if your diabetic clinic is linked in, when you see the doctor he will have a complete record - no need to try to recall events where blood glucose readings were not so balanced. Try your best to get on a course.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi @emmawhit32
you could have a look at this online carb counting course https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/

but I would still try to get on a DAFNE course as well. , even if you need to take some holiday to do it !!
( remember -- it is your long term health we are talking about )

Reactions: donnellysdogs