It works...

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So since I was diagnosed Type 2 in November 2009 I struggled to get control of my blood sugars even though I was on the maximum dose of Metformin, Gliclazide and Sitagliptin. I was then put on insulin and still wasn't getting good results.

So back in June last year I went on the Newcastle diet. I did it for a total of 25 weeks, which is a lot longer than recommended, and lost four and a half stone. All through the diet my blood sugars were great and achieved my best ever HbA1c.

Once I stopped the Newcastle diet I noticed my blood sugars were creeping up again so I decided to try a low carb diet. I'm taking around 50g carbs per day.

I've just today had a call from my Diabetes Nurse saying my HbA1c is perfect and she wanted to know how I did it.

Todays HbA1c is 5.4 (35) previous was 5.7 six months ago.

So what can I say - For me the low carb diet works.

I'm no longer on any medication and have accepted that my previous relationship with food has changed. I eat a healthy diet and I'm maintaining my weight.

Think I'll treat myself to a cream egg to celebrate :)

Jim

Reactions: 15 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Brilliant Jim well done :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well done, I am pleased for you :)

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the kind and encouraging comments. :)

I'm not saying it was easy but it wasn't that difficult either. Just got my mind on my goal and stuck to it.

Like I said - my relationship with food has changed but it's worth it.

Jim