Itching - is there an end to it ?

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with LADA Type 1 Diabetes 14 months ago and I’ve recently developed ‘sensitive skin’ and I’m scratching myself to bits. My GP has prescribed antihistamines, Betnovate (hydrocortisone) and emollient cream but it hasn’t helped much. I’ve been in touch with my local hospital’s diabetic unit and they suggest that I’ve been prescribed with all the right things. Having searched the forum, I find that my situation isn’t uncommon however what I’d really like to know is if the skin sensitivity is likely to go away as quickly as it arrived ? ...it really is driving me around the bend at the moment ! Is there any light at the end of the tunnel ?
Thanks in advance
Nigel

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your profile says Type 2 (just for your info ) so may be an idea to update it.
As for itching.. how is your blood sugar control. I'm (was?) a Type 2 and used to get all sorts of fungal nasties from years before diagnosis and used to have really smelly feet (along with virulent athletes foot). Since I have got my blood sugar under control these all seem to have gone.. no nasty itchy patches and no smelly feet! Stunning and hubby is also quite grateful too..

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Never had itchy skin but thrush is common in uncontrolled diabetes.
I think uncontrolled means not a steady less than 7.8mmol/l readings. (Approx.)

Sounds like psoriasis maybe?
@Liam1955. May know more. I'm not sure.

Reactions: Liam1955

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your profile says Type 2 (just for your info ) so may be an idea to update it.
As for itching.. how is your blood sugar control. I'm (was?) a Type 2 and used to get all sorts of fungal nasties from years before diagnosis and used to have really smelly feet (along with virulent athletes foot). Since I have got my blood sugar under control these all seem to have gone.. no nasty itchy patches and no smelly feet! Stunning and hubby is also quite grateful too..

I’ve just tried to find my profile but can’t see where to update it. My blood sugars are slightly high, I’m usually really good at keeping between 4 and 7 however I’ve had a few unexpectedly high readings but nothing above 9 so still pretty reasonable. The skin problem don’t appear to be fungal and are more akin to prickly heat / allergic reactions.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im not LADA so no expert in that area but have various allergy / intolerance issues and would guess that as LADA has an autoimmune basis, it would seem logical to assume that other auto immune system issue such as contact allergies / food intolerances will be more common.
Have they suggested any skin prick tests to see if there are specific things that stimulate a reaction?

D

Deleted Account

How is your diabetes managed?
I have read about some people reacting to insulin and getting more itchy.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Can dehydrated skin cause itching? Maybe.

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How is your diabetes managed?
I have read about some people reacting to insulin and getting more itchy.

My current regime is an injection of Levermir first thing in the morning and last thing at night with Novorapid after meals. I also take a Metformin tablet with my main meal. I’m also on an antidepressants and low dosage long term anti biotic

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My current regime is an injection of Levermir first thing in the morning and last thing at night with Novorapid after meals. I also take a Metformin tablet with my main meal. I’m also on an antidepressants and low dosage long term anti biotic
Antibiotics can give thrush to some, even none diabetics. I know thrush can affect the skin. Have your antibiotics come with an info leaflet?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just tried to find my profile but can’t see where to update it. My blood sugars are slightly high, I’m usually really good at keeping between 4 and 7 however I’ve had a few unexpectedly high readings but nothing above 9 so still pretty reasonable. The skin problem don’t appear to be fungal and are more akin to prickly heat / allergic reactions.
Are you trying to low carb? There is such a thing as keto rash which sometimes happens when toxins are released from body fat (which is a good thing) but can lead to itching. I got it across my chest a few times especially when on extended fasts but I'm guessing you're not in that situation?

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed with LADA Type 1 Diabetes 14 months ago and I’ve recently developed ‘sensitive skin’ and I’m scratching myself to bits. My GP has prescribed antihistamines, Betnovate (hydrocortisone) and emollient cream but it hasn’t helped much. I’ve been in touch with my local hospital’s diabetic unit and they suggest that I’ve been prescribed with all the right things. Having searched the forum, I find that my situation isn’t uncommon however what I’d really like to know is if the skin sensitivity is likely to go away as quickly as it arrived ? ...it really is driving me around the bend at the moment ! Is there any light at the end of the tunnel ?
Thanks in advance
Nigel
Hi @webmuppet ,
Are you certain it has anything to do with your diabetes? I only say that because in over the 51 years I've been living with type 1 my Doctors have misdiagnosed many things because they see I'm a Type 1 and they automatically assume the cause is my diabetes. The last big misdiagnosis for me was when I tore my rota-tor cuff about 10 years ago - I was kayaking and hit a over hanging tree branch that did significant damage to me when I ran in to it going at a high speed. The first doctor I saw tried to tell me it was neuropathy so I checked in to a clinic, didn't tell them I had diabetes and I finally got my shoulder properly treated (physio etc no drugs).
Every year at around this time, I get dry skin in my lower calf area of my legs as we use wood heat and during the cold months I usually stretch out my legs in front of the fire that makes my skin very dry. The same idiot doctor told me it was because of my diabetes but it mysteriously disappeared (the dry itchy skin) when I stopped stretching my legs in front of the fire for long periods of time.
Anyway, I'm not trying to diagnose your condition - as I'm not qualified to do so - however keep in mind that any physical ailments you may experience could have nothing to do with your diabetes and hence possible misdiagnosis, so explore all angles.
Just a side note - in the middle of the winter, when I wouldn't use cream the itchiness in my lower calves were like torture, I would wake up scratching in my sleep, continually scrape the skin etc. Fortunately no infections and I spend less time near the air tight wood burning fireplace now to avoid the situation.

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @webmuppet ,
Are you certain it has anything to do with your diabetes? I only say that because in over the 51 years I've been living with type 1 my Doctors have misdiagnosed many things because they see I'm a Type 1 and they automatically assume the cause is my diabetes. The last big misdiagnosis for me was when I tore my rota-tor cuff about 10 years ago - I was kayaking and hit a over hanging tree branch that did significant damage to me when I ran in to it going at a high speed. The first doctor I saw tried to tell me it was neuropathy so I checked in to a clinic, didn't tell them I had diabetes and I finally got my shoulder properly treated (physio etc no drugs).
Every year at around this time, I get dry skin in my lower calf area of my legs as we use wood heat and during the cold months I usually stretch out my legs in front of the fire that makes my skin very dry. The same idiot doctor told me it was because of my diabetes but it mysteriously disappeared (the dry itchy skin) when I stopped stretching my legs in front of the fire for long periods of time.
Anyway, I'm not trying to diagnose your condition - as I'm not qualified to do so - however keep in mind that any physical ailments you may experience could have nothing to do with your diabetes and hence possible misdiagnosis, so explore all angles.
Just a side note - in the middle of the winter, when I wouldn't use cream the itchiness in my lower calves were like torture, I would wake up scratching in my sleep, continually scrape the skin etc. Fortunately no infections and I spend less time near the air tight wood burning fireplace now to avoid the situation.

No, I don’t know that it’s definitely Diabetes related but the sensitivity does tally with other people experiences. I’ve suffered with eczema sporadically since childhood however this is quite different. It’s much more like prickly heat and medication just doesn’t seem to relieve the skin’s soreness.

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you trying to low carb? There is such a thing as keto rash which sometimes happens when toxins are released from body fat (which is a good thing) but can lead to itching. I got it across my chest a few times especially when on extended fasts but I'm guessing you're not in that situation?

No, I’m not trying low carb at the moment

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with food intolerance. I just recently had one and my hand itched like crazy. There was a thread on it but I don’t know where it is and I’ll try to think of the food.

Most common would be grains, dairy, nuts, eggs. If you added any in try to take them out for a few days

Edited. Neuropathy was causing it and I started taking R ALA and it went away. Do you have any signs of neuropathy?

Last edited:

webmuppet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with food intolerance. I just recently had one and my hand itched like crazy. There was a thread on it but I don’t know where it is and I’ll try to think of the food.

Most common would be grains, dairy, nuts, eggs. If you added any in try to take them out for a few days

Edited. Neuropathy was causing it and I started taking R ALA and it went away. Do you have any signs of neuropathy?

No signs of neuropathy, it does seem a bit like an allergic reaction but the antihistamines aren’t having any significant impact. The soreness seems to be focused on any area of the body that has any pressure exerted on it (i.e waistband during the day, hips, shoulder, belly at night etc. as if the skin is just generally very sensitive to contact

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No signs of neuropathy, it does seem a bit like an allergic reaction but the antihistamines aren’t having any significant impact. The soreness seems to be focused on any area of the body that has any pressure exerted on it (i.e waistband during the day, hips, shoulder, belly at night etc. as if the skin is just generally very sensitive to contact
Don’t those antihistamines make you feel like you got hit by a bus the next day?

Can you think of any new foods you’ve added?
Have you ever tried R ALA? It’s done wonders for many things after neuropathy. It’s very good for your nervous system, brain, diabetes, liver, kidney, skin etc

My skin and eyes are so much brighter and a much better feeling of well being.

http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/10/nu_lipoic_acid/page-01

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...update-the-ideal-antioxidant-gets-even-better

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was tearing myself to bits when I took Metformin and a statin - I had to file my nails down to stubs as I would wake up in the mornings with red lines everywhere - around my hips and shoulders behind my knees, the tops of my arms.
I only took the tablets for about 5 weeks, and had a number of other dreadful side effects, so I stopped them and the itching subsided over the next few days.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was tearing myself to bits when I took Metformin and a statin - I had to file my nails down to stubs as I would wake up in the mornings with red lines everywhere - around my hips and shoulders behind my knees, the tops of my arms.
I only took the tablets for about 5 weeks, and had a number of other dreadful side effects, so I stopped them and the itching subsided over the next few days.
I had that with morphine after a surgery. And the more I scratched the more I itched. Meds and supps certainly are worth looking at too

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Some liver conditions cause itchy skin too. Low carb diet improves liver health for me. Try that and see if any imorovement once you've ruled out food allergy?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes. Cross mixing meds can give certain reactions.
Other half's nasal spray has alcohol in it and one med is sensitive to alcohol.