Its Newcastle Jim, but not as we know it...

A

Anonymous

MCMLXXIII said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2385179/I-reversed-diabetes-just-11-days--going-starvation-diet.html

Personally, I do not advocate starvation, but it's a thought provoking read.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I note the phrase when my GP told me: ‘Your diabetes has resolved itself.’ .Thats' exactly what I have been told, my HbA1C and bGs are good, but I still have delayed insulin release. How resolved is resolved and how come I managed it on 200g+ carbs per day and am still 1st overweight? An update from this guy in a year's time would be good.

I have tweeted him at @ricdoughty asking him if he will be providing an update on his status in a year's time.

A

Anonymous

Reply from Richard Doughty re Daily Mail article

From Richard Doughty on Twitter ...

Hi Gerry, I was 4.9 mmol/L at end of last month almost a year to the day I came off lo cal diet. I will do similar in Jly 2014

A

Anonymous

MCMLXXIII said:
Interesting stuff.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Yes, I only asked the one question as I don't like using Twitter or Facebook. He did say "Further tests confirmed that, yes, I was type 2 diabetic. I was stunned. I have always been a healthy weight (I am 5ft 7in and just 10st 7lb)" and that "Further studies revealed that type 2 diabetics needed to lose one-sixth of their pre-diagnosis body weight to remove enough fat from the pancreas to allow normal insulin production to resume."

So for him to have proved the studies, he would have to, and did, achieve 8st 13lb. So he lost 22lb (1st 8lb) in 11 days!! I am 13st 9lb and 5ft 8in and I lost 26% of my body weight in about 6 months without the ND. I still seem to have 4st to go in order to match his weight. So it seems that one needs a 'multiple pileup' rather than a 'crash' diet to hit the weight that works. If I tried again from my current weight, I need to lose 2st (1/6th) in 11 days.

I have asked a couple of times for those who have been on the ND to share their experiences, but the number of people who have commented is way below the number who have tried it since the start of the year. perhaps they no longer have a need for being on this site or prefer to keep the results to themselves? Who knows? I would be telling the world!

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
I think it is worth noting from the report that when he was first diagnosed he was under a great deal of stress - bereavement and jobwise. Stress has been shown to raise blood sugars temporarily. This could have been the 'extra' which took him from non-diabetic to diabetic readings. When the stress is removed then BS can return to normal.
So which was it, the diet or the removal of stress that 'cured' him?
As with all such reports, we are not in full cognisance of the facts and correlation is not causation. So trying to extrapolate from a study of 1 is impossible. Even the Newcastle study only appears to be a sample of 11. Statistically, I suspect this is a pretty meaningless study.

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sure his diagnosis was sound as it required more than one snapshot fasting test to confirm it. I also note that he increased his exercise as well as losing weight. It all depends what one's trigger factors are. For some it is weight gain, for others it is inactivity. Maybe stress played a role in the development, as with many conditions, but I doubt it was a perpetuating factor. If you remove the trigger you may reverse the condition. I have a lower BMI than he achieved at the end of the ND but it's not resulted in any change of BG levels, so weight isn't a factor for me. I believe it is insulin resistance caused by enforced inactivity in my case. This man lost weight and increased his exercise considerably, so was it the his weight loss or the exercise regime? I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Anonymous

janeecee said:
I'm sure his diagnosis was sound as it required more than one snapshot fasting test to confirm it. I also note that he increased his exercise as well as losing weight. It all depends what one's trigger factors are. For some it is weight gain, for others it is inactivity. Maybe stress played a role in the development, as with many conditions, but I doubt it was a perpetuating factor. If you remove the trigger you may reverse the condition. I have a lower BMI than he achieved at the end of the ND but it's not resulted in any change of BG levels, so weight isn't a factor for me. I believe it is insulin resistance caused by enforced inactivity in my case. This man lost weight and increased his exercise considerably, so was it the his weight loss or the exercise regime? I don't think there is a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone.

I think "one size doesn't fit all" should be your epitaph!! :think:

A

Anonymous

stuffedolive said:
I think it is worth noting from the report that when he was first diagnosed he was under a great deal of stress - bereavement and jobwise. Stress has been shown to raise blood sugars temporarily. This could have been the 'extra' which took him from non-diabetic to diabetic readings. When the stress is removed then BS can return to normal.
So which was it, the diet or the removal of stress that 'cured' him?
As with all such reports, we are not in full cognisance of the facts and correlation is not causation. So trying to extrapolate from a study of 1 is impossible. Even the Newcastle study only appears to be a sample of 11. Statistically, I suspect this is a pretty meaningless study.

There's tons of stuff (and diagrams and charts of course) on the effects of stress hormones etc. on insulin secretion, and life is more stressful than it used to be, e.g. telephone marketing, SKY TV, forums :shock: . Food for thought perhaps? Time for my relaxing 'evening primrose' soak with jasmine-scented candles. If the doorbell rings, I'M NOT IN!

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I know I'm not in the right topic but don't know how to open one .theres been a few people on this forum talking about them slim noodles just thought I'd post that morrisons are selling them