I've been bad this Christmas!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone else been bad good wise this Christmas? I found out I was type 2 diabetic in October 2016 with a HB1ac level of 51 (previous levels 48 in 2015 and 39 in 2013). After finding out I was diabetic (I had no symptoms but found out by routine blood test) I cut out carbs and sugar and re-tested 2 weeks later and my HB1ac had dropped to 49. Had my 1st visit with diabetic nurse today who informed me if my HB1ac is under 48 at my next test in February I won't need tablets.... anyway, Ive been so good since finding out but have not been good the past 5 days.. Ive had chocolates and biscuits and puddings and pastries! Will it affect me slipping like this or do most diabetics have time off at Christmas? Is it ok to be bad once or twice a year? (I've brought a treadmill which comes in January so will be back on it soon enough)

Reactions: KezG and JoycieW

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Oh dear, I also have fallen off the wagon! I'm type 2, no medication just diet controlled and for the first time in 5 years I've not followed my strict regime of no cakes , puddings, biscuits or sweets. I know it's no good for me and I'm feeling as guilty as anything now. This is why I'm reading the forum, looking for someone to tell me it's doesn't matter, but I know that isn't true, so from this moment on, I'm back on the wagon, no excuses.
If I can do it, so can you. No excuses, come on, we will do this together.

Reactions: KezG

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Pamzy2! Feel better knowing it's not just me! What level is your HB1ac? When I spoke to the nurse this morning she didn't seem horrified I've had a few days off... we'll be fine as long as we get back on it ASAP. Surely a few Ferraro Rocher can't do that much damage over a few days?!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I fell off the waggon too. But what the heck it's Christmas. Yesterday my BG before dinner was 5.9 but thanks to a few slices of ripe melon, and an ice cream with some stewed cherries, two hours later it had shot up to 11.3. And you know what - it was worth that tiny blip in my overall BG readings just to be able to really enjoy some sweet treats for once.
Back to a more reasonable 6.2 before bed this evening :)

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Well my last HbA1C was in June 16 as I only have them annually and it was 6.3. But I know I've overdone things horribly fir around the last month as we've had sweets, chocs etc at work and now at home too over Christmas. I've noticed my eyesight is blurry, itchy skin, tired, etc and it is self inflicted. I've had my blowout, I'm not proud of it and I feel s lot better in the last 10 minutes as I've refused some After 8's! Got to be done. I just look at it that i have a certain life length left and each thing I eat that I know I shouldn't have knocks 5 mins off my life. It's the only way I can bully myself into refusing things I shouldn't have. Unfortunately I believe every thing I have that I shouldn't is damaging me. It's quite a motivator when I'm not too rebellious.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the jury is still out on how much harm a small amount of sugar can do. I guess it would be difficult to evaluate in chocolate size pieces! That said as long as it's not a habit then who knows? I stopped testing for a few days so I don't know if the few chocs I had over Xmas had much effect - back to the diet now :bored:.

Reactions: KezG and Energize

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
I know mine will be around 12 if I take it now so I'm sparing myself the embarrassment and just stopping doing the things I shouldn't right here and now. Fortunately most of the things that are pushing me over the edge are nearly all eaten and I won't buy anymore. Can't trust myself not to have them. If they aren't in the house I can't have them. Work is difficult but I just have to get back to turning s blind eye to the treats in the staff room. So here goes, you and I from now on, no more cheating.

Reactions: phaedree

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well at least it's not just me been a tad naughty! Happy and healthy new year to you all xx

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well MKD75 i've fallen off the wagon too this festive period, though only been testing since 14th December but did not note my last at 1AC test in October when they put me on metformin but diagnosed at A1c - 52 three months earlier.

Now i'm hoping that when I go back in mid-January that this past couple of weeks will just be a blip :) and not count too high in the grand scheme of things over the three month period the test looks at (lots of fingers and toes crossed xxxx) I'm high at the moment (pardon the expression) with a bad cold but hoping to get down in the next few days. Although that being said since I started testing my levels have just gone up even though i'm watching carbs more since I came here.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
We all do it to one degree or another, don't let once become twice to become a week to become a month. Let s treat be a treat and savour every bit of it.

wookie101

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its now time for a very stern New Years Resolution...

I lost the wagon about 8 weeks ago out in the Wild Wild West... And now I need to focus back onto my Hb1Ac and have a more controlled year,,, I was celebrating my 50th in the USA, so I had a letter from my mum saying I could... (The Doctor wasn't too happy).

So for my New Years Resolution I'd like is to lose 10Kg and get my Hb1Ac down a few notches.

Next week I start on it!

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's so hard getting back on it once you come off it!!! You remember how nice carbs and sugar and alcohol is.. I'm now back on it as it's only 36 days til my next blood test.. best of luck Wookie... you can do it :)

Cath15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm reading these comments and I've been of the wagon recently but I'm trying to get back on track it's not easy I done so well in the beginning dropping my HSBC from 120- 41 and losing 2 1/2 stone in. 3 months but I'm going to start the gym next week and had my induction yesterday so here's hoping that helps. It's good to know we all do it from time to time but I'm not being hard on myself as I know I will turn it around x

Reactions: 75Bedford

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Pamzy2! Feel better knowing it's not just me! What level is your HB1ac? When I spoke to the nurse this morning she didn't seem horrified I've had a few days off... we'll be fine as long as we get back on it ASAP. Surely a few Ferraro Rocher can't do that much damage over a few days?!

I also had 2 days off this Christmas and 1 New Years Eve, but do measure my blood glucose every morning and do eat low carb all the other days, I think it is best only to have 1 night off like maybe 1 in a month and not many days in a row, but guess all can fall of the waggon, after all this disease/condition is forever for most of us, but we must not fool us self and tell us that it will do no harm, it is soooooo easy to find one excuse after the other to fall of the waggon every other day... and that in the end can lead to , neuropathy, amputation and blindness

Last edited: