I've done it, now I'm fed up

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sorry to moan but I wonder if I'm alone in not rejoicing at what's happened? Diagnosed officially 13 months ago. Saw my records ... been T2 since 2014. Fat AF. Lost over 8 stone. BG now normal if I'm careful about eating less than 30g carbs per day. Last A1c was 30. Yet I don't consider myself cured. It's incurable. My beta cells are knackered. The unrelenting constant need to take care wears me down. Apologies but this end of the rainbow doesn't seem.so great.

mazza 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand exactly how you feel, even though you've done an excellent job in getting your BG's to normal. I was only diagnosed in January this year. Since then I've gone on the LCHF and my levels are coming down, but still needs more work. At the moment I feel motivated and regard it as a challenge, but like you, once I've reached that target and accomplished my aim (which I hope I can achieve) what then? It's hard at first to get your head around the fact that this isn't a DIET, but a change for life (with maybe a few treats along the way). I suppose you just have to accept it and hope one day they will find a permenant cure. I'm sure there are lots of people on here who have got their levels in control and continue to keep control of their diet, and I'm sure they can give you a different perspective on how they carry on. Once again, well done on your success.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You sorted of hinted that you've got it. It's incurable... yet you've done amazing things in just 13 months. As you say, the constant need to keep it going is a whole new challenge, which does not have quite the same finishing line, you've done the weight, got the BG's... and it is hard.
I feel very much the same. Any deviation in weight, a kg even, or BGs not quite so consistent is giving me a hard time. A FBG of more the 5.5 can really put a downer on my day... not good.
Probably not much help, but I've been feeling this a while and not put it into words yet...
Wish you well.
Hj

Reactions: Incyb and mazza 2

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not necessarily - You seem to have been diagnosed at about the same time as me, but you had a lot of weight to lose - and you have lost the equivalent of a fair sized person. That is a big adjustment to make, but have you been tested and told that your insulin production is low?
Type twos are often producing more than normal amounts of insulin, due to the resistance of their cells, so who can say that in the next year or two you might see an increase in your ability to cope with carbs? It took more than a few months for your metabolism to be whacked out of shape - it might take time to get back on a more even keel.
Just to look on the dark side though - you have got normal levels, but you need to be careful what you eat for the rest of your life - but that is it - watch what you eat - all over the world there are people with allergies, people living in unhygienic situations - they have to do the same to try to stay healthy - if you go on in the same way you could have a long healthy life. Maybe that is not so bad?
You can always have a moan here - even a rant - we know some of what you have gone through - though I was lucky and I can probably eat more carbs - at least I think I can, I don't know when I'll be tested again.
I try to think of it as the modern diet being wrong, not me - probably why I just ate a dinner with the first course being raspberries and the second some roast beef. It was intended to be the other way round, but oh well that is how it turned out. No harm done.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think it only feels like this because of the environment. Circa 80% of foods in supermarkets are sugar laden, snacks and main fast foods are no better. Your journey has been so significant you have probably got some regime fatigue, 8 stone is a massive amount to loose, take stock and enjoy your success. If you were "cured" you would be able to eat all of the foods which are making the majority ill etc. I don't think the grass is greener on that side.

Reactions: Incyb and Guzzler

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ve lost a whole me :) Except I never meant to lose weight on low carbs and was happier being closer to 9st when there were biscuits involved so I do sympathize - I’m having trouble with the constant need to take care and the prospect of that for forever and I’ve only been at this properly for 2 months. I just had to taste my children’s spaghetti to check it was done and it filled me with dread, which is ridiculous. Still have to find a balanced way of looking at food...

But 8st is an awesome accomplishment - congratulations!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to moan but I wonder if I'm alone in not rejoicing at what's happened? Diagnosed officially 13 months ago. Saw my records ... been T2 since 2014. Fat AF. Lost over 8 stone. BG now normal if I'm careful about eating less than 30g carbs per day. Last A1c was 30. Yet I don't consider myself cured. It's incurable. My beta cells are knackered. The unrelenting constant need to take care wears me down. Apologies but this end of the rainbow doesn't seem.so great.
Why aren't you rejoicing?
8 stone gone.. health probably restored?
HbA1c of 30.
What is not to like?
I bet you are eating nicer things too. Celebrate your new found health.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Being 'normal' is acheivable for us with T2 but staying that way can still prove to be a daunting task.
It would be great to grab that pork pie from the fridge whenever I fancied it so having to look away is sometimes just... meh! Complacency is my fear because that way lies complications so I turn and step away from the pie then rant and rave at the person who bought it and left it within my eyeline! I find a good moan or rant utterly cleansing and feel better for it so you moan away, my freind, get it all out and tomorrow take pride in your efforts to remain healthy because you have done a damned fine job of it.

Reactions: Incyb

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The point is; there are few milestones to do with diabetes that are worth celebrating and you’ve achieved just about all of them.

Changing the subject slightly: If I had the wheel bearings replaced on my car i’d say the problem was cured rather than the medical term “it’s just in remission”.

This medical stuff sounds so negative and you’d end up never being positive about these important milestones.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Id just finished the previous post and was going upstairs to bed and thought "hang on that original post said type 2 not type 1."
Whats wrong with your beta cells?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Over thinking this is exhausting in itself.
Take some time out of thinking everything. Burn out is hanging around you.
Listen.
You know what YOUR body needs. Find a low maintenance way to supply your body's needs. A way which is possible in times of illness, poverty, bereavement and unexpected changes.
Diabetes is for life.
You don't have to be a perfect diabetic just a conscientious one.
Cut yourself some flack.
You are a star and you have stormed this........ Now put it into normal day practice and start enjoying your life again!!!!
That doesn't mean carbs. It means finding the way to blend this into everyday life. Reasonably.
I'm no robot and either is anyone else.
Don't put all this pressure on yourself.
90% is more than good enough.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
By the way. Did I tell you you are a star!?

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I do understand the point once you've achieved all the goals you set yourself where do you go from there.

Well thing is not to allow back sliding maintaining weight and a healthy diet and getting on with a diabetes free life which is what in essence you have now.

Oh and welcome to the 8 stone lost club. Feels great doesn't it.

Colliegirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Colliegirl 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be proud of yourself just think if.you.look after yourself you keep your sight and your limbs I.have looked after so many people with it not good and like you battling with it myself

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @Incyb - wrap yourself in the warm wishes posted on this thread, and keep re-reading @ickihun's wonderful advice. You've been slogging away for 13 months and have achieved spectacular results, but that slog can cast a shadow over your amazing effort - it's a long time. Your hbA1c is magnificent, your weight loss tremendous, although when you feel as you do you can lose sight of your achievements. Give those Maine Coons a big cuddle and let us know how you are feeling and getting on.

Reactions: Biggles2 and Incyb

Incyb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone. You've all helped tremendously. My brother died recently and we had our beloved ginger Maine Coon put to sleep yesterday because he had inoperable cancer. My bgs are all raised, presumably due to the stress. Anyway, thanks again.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a lot of extra "stuff", which leads to stress, which leads to BG's on the up. I'm sorry to read your sad news, please keep on looking after yourself and take care.

Biggles2

My brother died recently and we had our beloved ginger Maine Coon put to sleep yesterday because he had inoperable cancer.
You have my sincere sympathy @Incyb. No wonder you are feeling down at the moment.
You have done a brilliant job working on your own health - congratulations on your weight loss and achieving the goals you set for yourself. As others have mentioned above, T2DM management is for life. Always remember, if we manage it well we can indeed improve the quality and length of of our lives - no one else can give us that gift.