I've hit a rut, back to the beginning

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope maybe someone can share some encouragement. I am so confused and not even sure what I'm confused about. In 2016 I was diagnosed T2 and managed to kick it to the curb with LCHF loosing weight and lowering my HBA1C to just under pre diabetic numbers. Then I lapsed big time. Weight starting creeping back up but more importantly I felt awful and started feeling pains again.

Fast forward to today, I want to do something and fast but there is now so much more ways to eat. I struggled to get back into LCHF (probably after getting used to the frankenfoods alternatives!) so tried keto, didnt like that as it was too restrictive, started IF rather haphazardly as I was 16:8 but because my work is unpredictable there were days I was 20:4 or even 23:1, cut out veg and tried carnivore, looked into 5:2 and also fast 800.

The problem is, I just dont know what to do to kick start the weight loss again, I go from one diet to another and I guess because the results are not as dramatic as my first round of LCHF i try something else. I get it, I realise this has to be for life now, I cant keep falling off the wagon thinking I can get on where I left off. How do I choose something that I can do long term but also shift this weight? I hope someone understands what I mean

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Its the carbs.
As type two diabetics we cannot cope with carbs.
There is no magic, no amount of weightloss will do the trick if you eat too many carbs your blood glucose will spike and your metabolism will take another knock. You just have to chose to do the obvious thing and cut down the carbs.
You can get back on the wagon every time you jump off, low carb will work - it is just that you get back on with a metabolism slightly more compromised than before. It is not having a treat, not being naughty - but to quote Asimov quoting Schiller, against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.
Personally I found that fasting was not the best way nor low calorie - I eat twice a day, morning and evening, under 40 gm of carbs a day but no restriction on calories - there is no need as with my blood glucose under control, no spikes after meals, I am working well.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That was exactly my problem! The treats became regular habits and comfort food until they became out of hand, now that I have cut them back out alongside the carbs which also came back into my diet, I hope things can change it just feels so frustrating that the results I had before are practically now a snails pace. I have no idea what eating pattern will suit me for the long term

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was exactly my problem! The treats became regular habits and comfort food until they became out of hand, now that I have cut them back out alongside the carbs which also came back into my diet, I hope things can change it just feels so frustrating that the results I had before are practically now a snails pace. I have no idea what eating pattern will suit me for the long term

Hi @Mrsmac247

To be honest I’d suggest finding some sort of plan for a few weeks to get you back on track and then work towards figuring out the long term strategy once you’re feeling more comfortable.

Do you have a record of exactly what you were eating when you were feeling good and getting results? Might help to follow a plan or a tried and tested route.

Perhaps looking at the 2 week meal plans on dietdoctor.com and picking some out that look appealing might also help? Can be useful to have a structure if you’re struggling.

I find the whole maintenance thing a lot harder than the initial burst of BG drops and weight loss - a difficult balancing act.

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal Yes I had a sort of food list from back in the day, i think I've kind of turned into a bit of a rebel as I cannot seem to stick with them. I will refresh my menus and have a look at some new ones on diet doctor that I could maybe try out to see if they make the cut. I definitely think a plan would be good for the short term as it will give me back some structure as I think that has been one of my main problems!

I see you do IF from your signature, what time scale are you on if you dont mind me asking?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see you do IF from your signature, what time scale are you on if you dont mind me asking?

It varies a bit. Most of my weight loss came doing fairly consistent one meal a day, either for 2 week periods at a stretch or 4-5 days a week. These days I try to have a 5-6 hour eating window, with a couple of OMAD days at the weekend. I’m usually out walking and don’t get hungry during the walks, so that works well for me.

Wish you the best of luck with this - do stick around and keep us updated.

Reactions: Mrsmac247

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Yes I had a sort of food list from back in the day, i think I've kind of turned into a bit of a rebel as I cannot seem to stick with them. I will refresh my menus and have a look at some new ones on diet doctor that I could maybe try out to see if they make the cut. I definitely think a plan would be good for the short term as it will give me back some structure as I think that has been one of my main problems!

It might help to explore why you are rebelling and what is triggering your rebellion? And also to see this as a life long change in eating habits, rather than a diet. Just like if you had become lactose intolerant and had to change your eating to avoid lactose.

Reactions: Mrsmac247

Mrsmac247

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes @lucylocket61 you are right! I think part of it is, I can control most of my intake in the week i.e no sugar, mainly proteins with some veg and no carbs, sometimes I have protein only alongside a fast of at least 16:8. On the weekends, I maintain my fast protocol on Saturday but on Sunday will join the family in maybe a few Yorkshire's on my plate and a dessert. This has only been for the last 4 weeks but so far so good.

I think my rebellion was loosing some people to T2 related illnesses, a lack of control and probably a self destruct button. Lifelong....yes...sigh...working on the mind set shift!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
t on Sunday will join the family in maybe a few Yorkshire's on my plate and a dessert.

If you are anything like me then that day would sabotage the entire week.
"Moderation" simply doesn't work for me so I just don't eat trigger foods..... makes life so much easier and no "temptations" or "treats" .
It took a major change in the way I look at food.. it is no longer entertainment but fuel.