Jardiance working ? Not sure

Weehotty

Hi after being nearly a week on Jardiance im wondering if it’s working . My fasting sugars have came down from 10mmol to 8 which is great but could it be better??? Also 2 hrs after my porridge this morning im sitting at 11.4 ? .. is it working or was porridge a poor choice ??

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Jardiance will help a bit by getting the kidneys to push out more sugar. I would avoid measuring fasting sugar as this can be affected by the overnight liver dump of glucose; better to test 2 hours after a typical meal and before as well to compare. Porridge is not good for us due to the high level of Carbs. Better to have eggs & bacon etc if you have the time to cook. Keep at it and if the sugar levels keep going up and you are slim and possibly young do consider T1 as a possibility and ask the GP for the two tests for that.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most diabetic meds (jardience, metformin etc...) have a fairly modest effect on blood glucose. So if you take it and continue to live your life in the same manner that you did before your diagnosis, you can probably expect to see an initial improvement, a stabilization, and then a slow decline. The improvement might not be enough to get good control, and you may need meds adjustment.

And yeah, IMO porridge is not a great choice. I'm all-in on a keto lifestyle, and there's no room for porridge in a ketogenic diet. My BG levels are better now than they have been any time in the last 4 years and I'm on fewer meds too.

Weehotty

My dietician told Me porridge was a good choice due to it being low Gi And to have only one piece of fruit a day( due to sugar content).. less of processed food and watch carbs and portion size .. and to be honest i try to stick to that. I cant go keto . My body shuts down awfully quick and my diabetic dietician says i do need some carbs - but Small moderation x

Reactions: fbirder

Hotpepper20000

My dietician told Me porridge was a good choice due to it being low Gi And to have only one piece of fruit a day( due to sugar content).. less of processed food and watch carbs and portion size .. and to be honest i try to stick to that. I cant go keto . My body shuts down awfully quick and my diabetic dietician says i do need some carbs - but Small moderation x
Have you considered your dietician might be wrong??? You can see what you are eating is spiking your BG when you test.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there is no need to go keto. There is a huge range of options for the level of low carbing we can use. Test before a meal, then 2 hours afterwards. If the number has gone up by more than 2 then there is too much carb in the meal for you, personally, to cope with at one time. This is a simple way to start looking at adjustments in your diet.

Reactions: KK123 and Roggg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You need a new and better dietician!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine told me to eat wholegrains little and often to keep sugars at the same level.
I'm t2 and I need them as low as possible as often as possible.
Needless to say I didn't go back for a second session

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Weehotty - in my simplistic mind the High/Low GI thing is more a case of when the body reacts rather than how it reacts to the carbs eaten. I also know, that for me (and we can all differ), my body copes least well with carbs early in the day. My body does best if I have fewer carbs at breakfast time than in the evenings.

So, in effect, where carbs are concerned, I need to apply the saying "Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper", in reverse. I breakfast like a pauper, lunch like a prince, dine like a king.

That doesn't mean I skip breakfast or nearly starve myself, but I have some good Greek yoghurt with some rhubarb at the moment. Others needing to eat similarly sometimes have eggs or bacon at breakfast, with carbs reserved for later in the day.

I do hope you can get the puzzle worked out.

Reactions: ziggy_w

BigNorsk

The way jardiance works is when your blood sugars rise to a certain level, you urinate sugar. Buy some test strips and see. People like the losing weight and it keeps the blood sugar from going totally crazy, but really does it make sense to eat it just to pee it out? That comes with risks to so try and keep at least a little below the critical number.

8 is better than many diabetics achieve, but still is high enough to cause significant damage over time.

oatmeal causes a significant rise in blood sugar despite what the food companies say, so does whole wheat bread.

one thing that does flatten that rise is resistant starch. It digest slowly. Day old rice is slower than freshly cooked, same with cold potato compared to hot. Beans tend to be slow. So maybe if you don’t want to avoid starch, eat slower digesting and then follow your blood sugar to know what is too much.

Hi after being nearly a week on Jardiance im wondering if it’s working . My fasting sugars have came down from 10mmol to 8 which is great but could it be better??? Also 2 hrs after my porridge this morning im sitting at 11.4 ? .. is it working or was porridge a poor choice ??

gavingfc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jardiance takes a while to work when I first started it although I'm on 25g my sugars were anything from 11 to 16 and now being on them a while my sugars are 6 to 8 .

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was put on jardiance I was told by GP about peeing sugar, and he warned me it might lead to a touch of cystitis but when my cousin was put on a jardiance/metformin combo... her diabetic nurse told her she would lose weight which made her all gleeful.

She has gained 3kg (I am 99% sure down to diet and no exercise) but an expectation was set for her by her diabetic nurse that this would be the pill to cure all ills!

And FWIW... I never did have any bouts of cystitis but I think my sugars have steadied, and I will freely admit there have been times during lockdown when I have been less than good with my diet and others when I have sported my LCHF halo... so I think it does work....