jelly

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Ok a bit off topic but seeing as my consumption of jelly has gone through the roof since being diagnosed it got me thinking it may have been a bad idea I know but it just happens somtimes. So It was I ended up sitting here contemplating my next bowl full and I started wondering . If you made a jelly and allowed it to set cut it into peices and then made another jelly using a little hot water and a lot of cold (thats how I tend to make it any way) and both jellys being of same temperature and identical mix appart from colour (or it would be pointles and stupid) what would happen if you put the set jelly into the liquid jelly obviously the set jelly would not unset as the mix is cold but . Would the set jelly sink to the bottom? Float to the top? Or would it have a neutral buoyancy? Dose the fact that its soliid ish increase the density hence make it sink? Or indeed would It somehow make it more boyant? If so when they are of equal weight and volume how would the mechanism of this work /happen? .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha love this. Better watch out though, Andy12345 is the jelly god around here ;)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
hi

If this is going to be the official Jelly thread, I have a question

Can anyone find a sugar free (no carb) jelly that is vegetarian (no gelatine)? Asda used to do one but stopped it a few years ago.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
hale710 said:
Haha love this. Better watch out though, Andy12345 is the jelly god around here ;)

The REAL king of Jelly(and squirty cream) was a much missed member on here named Borofergie.

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh thats got me thinking.. should sink but now i'm starting to doubt myself.
If i remember when i go shopping this weekend i'll buy some jelly and try it out :D

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
RichardJ said:
Oh thats got me thinking.. should sink but now i'm starting to doubt myself.
If i remember when i go shopping this weekend i'll buy some jelly and try it out :D
But why should it sink?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
paul-1976 said:
hale710 said:

The REAL king of Jelly(and squirty cream) was a much missed member on here named Borofergie.

They had better come back and claim their crown!

RichardJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the theory I'm going by (this works in my head by the way practice may and most likely will be different!!) is that being solid it has a larger mass than the liquid form can hold.

Like i said I'm now doubting myself and will have to try it out.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
You should be able to make a multi coloured/flavoured jelly by simply making a jelly in the normal way but in a larger bowl than is necessary, once its refrigerated and set make another colour/flavour jelly and wait for it to cool but not yet set and then pour it on top of the first jelly.

The jelly that is already set will remain at the bottom as it is stuck to the bowl and already set, of course jelly is for kids?

Personally I prefer some real Cornish Vanilla Ice Cream with a measure of Famous Grouse Whisky poured over it, of course its only for grown ups :thumbup:

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Sid Bonkers said:
You should be able to make a multi coloured/flavoured jelly by simply making a jelly in the normal way but in a larger bowl than is necessary, once its refrigerated and set make another colour/flavour jelly and wait for it to cool but not yet set and then pour it on top of the first jelly.

The jelly that is already set will remain at the bottom as it is stuck to the bowl and already set, of course jelly is for kids?

Personally I prefer some real Cornish Vanilla Ice Cream with a measure of Famous Grouse Whisky poured over it, of course its only for grown ups :thumbup:
Nothing wrong with adults wanting a bit of jelly now and then! :lol: when I was doing my ketogenic diet I had jelly a few nights a week and really enjoyed it. That said, I'm not *really* an adult until I turn 21 in November, but I can keep dreaming. Not that I'm wishing my life away or anything... :lol:

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Funny thing is I work at a government r&d research laboratory. And still havent got a definitive answer. I have however got a lot of boffins going arround scratching their heads mumbling that they need to buy some jelly this weekend. Answers so far 70% hmm. 20% sink. 10% nutural buoyancy. 0% for float. But no one as yet was either able or willing (incase they are wrong) to give the mechanics of It. The odd thing is they seem to look at me different for asking the question and I dont mean in a bad way.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
whompa73 said:
Funny thing is I work at a government r&d research laboratory. And still havent got a definitive answer. I have however got a lot of boffins going arround scratching their heads mumbling that they need to buy some jelly this weekend. Answers so far 70% hmm. 20% sink. 10% nutural buoyancy. 0% for float. But no one as yet was either able or willing (incase they are wrong) to give the mechanics of It. The odd thing is they seem to look at me different for asking the question and I dont mean in a bad way.
Well if you've managed to puzzle the experts then good on you! :lol:

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I shouldn't be intrigued by this, but I am!
Jelly is a semi-solid colloid which is made up of protein chains. In hot water, the bonds holding the protein chains together seperate, turning it into a liquid. As it cools the molecules making up the protein chains lose their energy and rebond, trapping the water into their structure and making it wibbly wobbly.
So, I'm guessing that theoretically the liquid jelly doesn't have a high enough viscosity because of the weaker bonds, so wouldn't support the set jelly.
However, the set jelly would eventually melt again if it was heated for long enough as one of the properties of gelatin is that it is thermoreversible and will melt and reset time and time again.

After all this talk of jelly, I think I need to go and make up a sachet of sugarfree lime and get my fix!

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
luceeloo said:
I shouldn't be intrigued by this, but I am!
Jelly is a semi-solid colloid which is made up of protein chains. In hot water,turning it into a liquid. As it cools the molecules making up the protein chains lose their energy and rebond, trapping the water into their structure and making it wibbly wobbly.
So, I'm guessing that theoretically the liquid jelly doesn't have a high enough viscosity because of the weaker bonds, so wouldn't support the set jelly.
However, the set jelly would eventually melt again if it was heated for long enough as one of the properties of gelatin is that it is thermoreversible and will melt and reset time and time again.

After all this talk of jelly, I think I need to go and make up a sachet of sugarfree lime and get my fix!

Ok I now have my own hypothesis amd here it is. After some research I have found that jelly while setting neither expands or contracts. There for the density of the solid and liquid are the same ( density being defined as weight per unit of volume. And not as I thought also to do with is firmnes or state of solidity) there for I would have to argue that I should be of nutral buoyancy however having neutral buoyancy the act of placing the set jelly in the liquid would create inertia hence the jelly would gather at the bottom but not because of sinking but but by coming to rest when it natural inertia runs out.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh wow, i turn my back for 5 minutes and look, a jelly thread!

3 nights on the lake, stinking, havent washed, changed clothes (yes i do mean all of them) have to call the gifls to say goodnight with the smallest of battery life so i use a tiny bit to have a sneaky peak and look, a jelly thread without me! thats just charming!

no jelly for three days and nights now, im getting the sweats

i was dealing with it, now you put it in my head im in trouble

jellyyyyyyyyyy :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Andy12345 said:

3 nights on the lake, stinking, havent washed, changed clothes (yes i do mean all of them) have to call the gifls to say goodnight with the smallest of battery life so i use a tiny bit to have a sneaky peak and look, a jelly thread without me! thats just charming!

Tomorow I'll mainly be eating rasbery jelly made with a can of coke zero YES FOLKS "RASBERRY COLA JELLY " can't wait :lol:

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
whompa73 said:
Andy12345 said:

Tomorow I'll mainly be eating rasbery jelly made with a can of coke zero YES FOLKS "RASBERRY COLA JELLY " can't wait :lol:

LOL!! :mrgreen: Sounds like a challenge to me..hmmm...I'll try a sugar free lime,cherry pepsi max and vodka Jelly at the weekend ! Deffo not for kids! :shh: