Joined Forum in 2021, so re-introduction..

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
..as I got hooked on another forum to be honest. I've been on Keto for 2 years and 6 months, ever since diagnosed with T2 Diabetes on Jan. 20, 2021. I have never looked back, and follow the low-carb nutrition/keto, and actually lean toward Carnivore. I don't know if I will go that far, but never say never right :)

I recently discovered Dr. David Unwin, and I can't say enough good about him! I'm sure many of you know who Dr. Unwin is. If I could have any doctor in the world, it would be Dr. Unwin. I have just started reading his material and listening to his videos. The main reason was to try and find info that I could share with those suffering from obesity, and T2 Diabetes.

One of the main replies I get from folks when I say I don't eat sugar is that they hardly eat any sugar. But I realize now that so, very many folks don't know the amount of sugar they are eating in a banana or baked potato for example. Dr. Unwin's work on the Glycemic index is wonderful but it's a bit hard for me to break it down, simplify it for those that wouldn't read a study, like my sister who just can't make sense of the scientific data. I can't either, some of it, but I can get the bottom-line message out of a study.

So I see Dr. Unwin mentions a couple of foods like a potatoe's equivalent to grams/teaspoons equals I think it was 9 teaspoons of sugar. Is there a list somewhere I can bookmark, or download that lists lots and lots of foods in that format? I've seen the Glucose charts online but some folks I know don't understand Glycemic Load, but sugar they understand.

Can someone help me out here as I so want to help folks out when they are interested in how I lost the weight, and how I put my T2 in remission. I also don't know how to relate the UK's HbA1c's number 48 to mine in US like 100 on my chart I've used since I started. My 100 mgdl = 5.6 mmol for example ;)

I look forward to getting reacquainted here as many of you helped me in the beginning, and I feel bad for not continuing here, at least dropping in once in awhile. Thank you for any feedback, Denise

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can someone help me out here as I so want to help folks out when they are interested in how I lost the weight, and how I put my T2 in remission. I also don't know how to relate the UK's HbA1c's number 48 to mine in US like 100 on my chart I've used since I started. My 100 mgdl = 5.6 mmol for example ;)
Here's a chart which combines the different numbers for both hba1c and blood glucose in the US and the UK:

1691334468277.png

And here's one for just BG:

1691334526959.png

Dr. Unwin's work on the Glycemic index is wonderful but it's a bit hard for me to break it down, simplify it for those that wouldn't read a study, like my sister who just can't make sense of the scientific data. I can't either, some of it, but I can get the bottom-line message out of a study.
I don't understand much of glycemic load and glycemic index, but I do understand carbs (minus fiber for net carbs if you're in the US).
So for me, 'all carbs turn to glucose in your body' works very well, with the added bonus that all prepackaged products have the amount of carbs on the back, and for unpackaged products it's easy to google.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Here's a chart which combines the different numbers for both hba1c and blood glucose in the US and the UK:

View attachment 62479

And here's one for just BG:

View attachment 62480

I don't understand much of glycemic load and glycemic index, but I do understand carbs (minus fiber for net carbs if you're in the US).
So for me, 'all carbs turn to glucose in your body' works very well, with the added bonus that all prepackaged products have the amount of carbs on the back, and for unpackaged products it's easy to google.
Thank you @Antje77 , I am pretty sure you gave me that first chart when I came here in '21, so thank you so much. I've been just sticking to the total carbs on labels as I had a couple spikes from doing the net carb thing. I've also got away from processed foods, although it's a lot more spendy to buy groceries nowadays. I want to share more in-depth info with people, but it's amazing how much more there is for me to learn about my T2, as well as low-carb, carnivore, keto ;)

I wanted to say that the other forum I've hung out on has helped me a lot but I've always had a bit of a problem with most not being T2 Diabetics. Anyway, I'm back here now, and glad to be. I know that I get very ocd about things but I want to learn all I can, I guess I think it's good brain exercise, but mostly I think it's brain overload and I have to go do something else:bored:

Reactions: Antje77

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This?

I came in here via Dr Unwin talking about remission, and like you would love to have him as my GP.
I've got that site bookmarked, but I didn't find a chart on foods. Maybe I better take another look ;) Thanks @TriciaWs and I'll use your link, it might take me to what I couldn't find ;)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: G0ldengirl68

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow that's weird I said I wasn't able to see it that well, I read the post though. Wonder if my eyes are better now?? Same computer glasses, oh well, I can sure see it now ;) I like this chart as well. I don't understand still getting the red flag when I am down at 6.0 on HbA1c's. Maybe they just want to keep me on my toes or maybe they are just wrong. :happy:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I may have missed something in my profile area, and I don't see a board for tech support so I'll ask you gals. How do I edit my profile, specifically About Me area? I need to change it and add a little to it :) Thanks much, Denise

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonder if it is the chart that was in the Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi "The Diabetes weight-loss cookbook" you were looking for, Foreword by Dr. David
Unwin.

1691339482418.png

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So @Antje77 if my fasting this a.m. is at 106, I think in UK numbers it's 34 or 5.3? Am I reading your chart right? I'd really like to try and do that anytime I do my numbers so UK folks know where I'm at ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wonder if it is the chart that was in the Katie and Giancarlo Caldesi "The Diabetes weight-loss cookbook" you were looking for, Foreword by Dr. David
Unwin.

View attachment 62483
YESSSSSS, exactly, thanks sooooooooo much @Ryhia, can you tell me where to get the whole list maybe without book, or, maybe the cookbook would not be a bad idea at all!! But something I could show others easily like just the charts of foods! This perfect and sure that's the one Dr. Unwin was talking about I think a doctor friend of his made it for him!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Denise and welcome back

This is a good read - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695889/

You'll see Dr David Unwin listed as first author.

On the fingerprick tests - the right read across for fingerprick tests is your mg/dl to the UK's mmol/litre (eg 100 mg/dl = 5.6 mmol/litre).

For the HbA1c it's your percentages to the UK's mmol/mol (eg 6% = 42 mmol/mol).

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

On the fingerprick tests - the right read across for fingerprick tests is your mg/dl to the UK's mmol/litre (eg 100 mg/dl = 5.6 mmol/litre).

Ok Kenny, I need to eat some breakfast and I'll be back after I go to my gym. But I want to take a look at the website, which I bookmarked, and also start understanding the diffs between UK and US ;) Thank you so much, I shall return, Denise :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Wow that's weird I said I wasn't able to see it that well, I read the post though. Wonder if my eyes are better now?? Same computer glasses, oh well, I can sure see it now ;) I like this chart as well. I don't understand still getting the red flag when I am down at 6.0 on HbA1c's. Maybe they just want to keep me on my toes or maybe they are just wrong. :happy:
You were only just diagnosed at the time, and had drastically changed your diet, and likely your blood glucose.
Changes in BG often go together with vision changes because our eyes adjust to the amount of glucose in our tears. This is only temporary though, glad to hear your eyes are fine now!

A hba1c of 6% or (42mmol/mol) is exactly on the threshold between normal and prediabetic in the UK, and just over the threshold for the US.
The flagging up is an automated system that doesn't take into account your diabetic status.
So while 6% for a known diabetic is pretty much perfect, for a non diabetic it's flagged because it shows something may be going on.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have had the pleasure of meeting him on several occasions. A very genuine, and nice man.
ohmygosh, I would love to meet him but thank God for his info being available, I was trying to get ready and go the gym and just can't tare myself away from listening to him. I'm on this video right now,
, and sharing his info on each forum I belong to, especially FB with friends and family. I doubt, sadly, many will even listen but I have to try. What a difference my life is now than what it was before my T2 diagnosis. I guess I'm that healthnut for sure now. I first got into exercise, but didn't change my diet, knew nothing until I learned about low-carb, and keto.