SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being too sedentary for too long.
Hi,

Been a lurker for a while, but new to join.

I was diagnosed with LADA in June of this year, after being misdiagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes from January 2018.

After; diet, exercise, Metformin, Gliclazide and Sitagliptin, I am now primarily taking Insulin and Metformin to control my levels.

Throughout this tenure (and potentially for longer), I seem to be experiencing joint pain around my hips and down the back of both of my legs, and wonder if this is connected with my LADA at all?

I have occasional spikes, and my levels are generally under control with good diet, exercise and medication, but I'm finding it harder and harder to continue the regular exercise when the pain levels seem to be getting worse.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, and if there are any ways this pain can be managed or at least reduced?

Thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Throughout this tenure (and potentially for longer), I seem to be experiencing joint pain around my hips and down the back of both of my legs, and wonder if this is connected with my LADA at all?

I have occasional spikes, and my levels are generally under control with good diet, exercise and medication, but I'm finding it harder and harder to continue the regular exercise when the pain levels seem to be getting worse.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced similar, and if there are any ways this pain can be managed or at least reduced?
You're not on statins, right?

I had pains a couple of years ago when I was recently diagnosed.
They went away when I switched to a different long acting insulin. Apparently, it can be a very rare side effect from insulin glargine (Lantus, Toujeo, Abasaglar), and I suppose that was the cause for me, it never came back after switching to tresiba.

Reactions: SomeBloke

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You're not on statins, right?

I had pains a couple of years ago when I was recently diagnosed.
They went away when I switched to a different long acting insulin. Apparently, it can be a very rare side effect from insulin glargine (Lantus, Toujeo, Abasaglar), and I suppose that was the cause for me, it never came back after switching to tresiba.

No, no other medication.

I am on Toujeo as well as Novorapid, so that could be a possibility.

I'll discuss this at my next GP and Diabetic Nurse appointments. Thankyou!

Reactions: Antje77

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi Welcome, I get pain from everywhere but been a manual worker for a gazillion years so no suprise, just wanted to say Brilliant name.

Thankyou. Yeah, I haven't been a manual worker, but have and am always active. Unsure if that's got something to do with it.

:hilarious: Thanks! I'm genuinely surprised the name wasn't already taken!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was gonna suggest statins.
it might be that you are getting side effects from one of your meds.
it is not unknown that a combination of meds can cause these symptoms.
I would suggest that the gliptin is the most likely culprit.

Typical bloke name, love it!

• Friendly

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I was gonna suggest statins.
it might be that you are getting side effects from one of your meds.
it is not unknown that a combination of meds can cause these symptoms.
I would suggest that the gliptin is the most likely culprit.

Typical bloke name, love it!
I'm not on the Sitagliptin or Glicalzide anymore. Only the Metformin and Insulin.

Haha, thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: Lamont D

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on Toujeo as well as Novorapid, so that could be a possibility.

I'll discuss this at my next GP and Diabetic Nurse appointments. Thankyou!
You can always ask if you can be switched to Tresiba (that's the closest to Toujeo in action time so a relative easy switch) to see if the pains go away.

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You can always ask if you can be switched to Tresiba (that's the closest to Toujeo in action time so a relative easy switch) to see if the pains go away.
Of course. I'll let you know what's said or done when I mention this. :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course. I'll let you know what's said or done when I mention this. :)

To be honest, in my experience you may have to be quite insistent to get something done about something impacting you, but seemingly trivial to your Nurse/Doc. If it matters enough to you to join up here and ask, it is worth some kind of investigation or trial swap of meds.

Fingers crossed for you.

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
To be honest, in my experience you may have to be quite insistent to get something done about something impacting you, but seemingly trivial to your Nurse/Doc. If it matters enough to you to join up here and ask, it is worth some kind of investigation or trial swap of meds.

Fingers crossed for you.

It was my insistence that made GPs reassess my Type 2 when I moved into a new area last year, and re-diagnosed me as LADA. so I'll persist in the same way to make sure it's investigated and hopefully resolved.

Thankyou!

Whether it's related to the joint pain or not, I've also noticed a discomfort in the chest area. Almost a sort of swelling and pins and needles sensation, but not quite. I've had Chest X-Rays, ECGs and blood tests and nothing abnormal or sinister has been found.

Could this also be to do with the Insulin I am on?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Whether it's related to the joint pain or not, I've also noticed a discomfort in the chest area. Almost a sort of swelling and pins and needles sensation, but not quite. I've had Chest X-Rays, ECGs and blood tests and nothing abnormal or sinister has been found.

Never heard of such a side effect.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was my insistence that made GPs reassess my Type 2 when I moved into a new area last year, and re-diagnosed me as LADA. so I'll persist in the same way to make sure it's investigated and hopefully resolved.

Thankyou!

Whilst you are feeling joint, as opposed to muscle pain, in your shoes, I'd want to have my Vitamin D (and some of the B vitamins) tested. I know we've just had a wonderful summer, but if you have a bit of a metabolic glitch your system may not handle the natural VitD process too well.

If my GP wasn't going to test my vitamins and minerals I'd want to know what he was proposing.

Obviously, if he already has a masterplan to get to the bottom of things, all fair play to him.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Thankyou!

Hi I have just read your post with interest, for the last 3 years I have had terrible hip joint pain that goes down the back of my leg! I will discuss my insulin with my nurse later this month, I am on Levemir and Fiasp. Thanks for posting I would never have thought there might be a connection here.

• Friendly

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Whilst you are feeling joint, as opposed to muscle pain, in your shoes, I'd want to have my Vitamin D (and some of the B vitamins) tested. I know we've just had a wonderful summer, but if you have a bit of a metabolic glitch your system may not handle the natural VitD process too well.

If my GP wasn't going to test my vitamins and minerals I'd want to know what he was proposing.

Obviously, if he already has a masterplan to get to the bottom of things, all fair play to him.

My B12 recently came back high. This was because however, I was told by my previous GP (where I used to live) to take Vitamin B12 supplements as a means of counteracting the fatigue I suffer.

No mentions of any Vitamin D deficiency, though I have experienced that and Anemia before.

Again, will wait and see what's said next week.

Reactions: C_Wilson_14

SomeBloke

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi I have just read your post with interest, for the last 3 years I have had terrible hip joint pain that goes down the back of my leg! I will discuss my insulin with my nurse later this month, I am on Levemir and Fiasp. Thanks for posting I would never have thought there might be a connection here.

No worries. I'm grateful others that I'm not alone in my experiences.

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I get terrible hip and sometimes knee pain in the evenings. I'm on Tresiba Degludec and Nova Rapid. Ive only been diabetic for 4 months after a total pancreatectomy in April. Have been on statins for years and had no problem before.

Bclunie_

Hi,

Been a lurker for a while, but new to join.

I was diagnosed with LADA in June of this year, after being misdiagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes from January 2018.

After; diet, exercise, Metformin, Gliclazide and Sitagliptin, I am now primarily taking Insulin and Metformin to control my levels.

Thanks.

I was put on metformin in September 2021. Nurse said you’re one step away from insulin. How wrong she was. After months of being extremely unwell, in and out of hospital, consultant did an antibody test - LADA in January 2022. What a terrible year I’ve had, I’m now on levemir and novorapid. Just been given pregabalin for nerve pain and that’s turned my life around. I was practically immobile, now back to walking every day and eating normally - carb controlled obviously. Consultant said last week, he wished he could bottle what I’ve achieved and give to his patients. My BS readings are 98% in range