Journey has begun

vicky_l

Hi everyone

I am morbidly obese and mobility limited

this year I commence a weight management program and although I am not learning much as they say know it mostly its the applying it) I have found the support invaluable and has helped me make baby steps and stop trying to run before I can walk

so I got weighed today and since Jan 4th I have lost 11 lbs (Now I know thats not even a lb in each stone I need to lose but its in the right direction)

today I have shopped and depending on seasonal stuff and prices to what I can afford plus of course shop offers

I overspent a little but didnt need toiletries or cleaning products so I could spend what I did on other weeks I wont be able to

this week I bought

4 apple
5 bananas
1 cucumber
1 pack leaves
1 celery
1 courgette
dozen mushrooms
packet of chipolatas
packet meat balls (hand made ones from butchers on offer)
pork steak
lamb steak
smoked salmon (on offer)

so have tried to create a menu for week ahead from it (now of course I have some food in house)

breakfast

beetroot juice (in freezer two portions so make each one last three or four days)
half bananas
25g berries (trying berries out again)
1 - 2 ounces seeds (ground)
1 tbs cream
mixed into a smoothie

Lunch

1/4 mixed leaves
1/4 cucumber
2 sticks celery
1/4 salmon or 1/2 portion of steak

Dinner

soup (got carrot and red pepper in freezer)
1 meatball

Supper

piece cheese
an apple

any extra meat portions in freezer for next week as will have run out of soup so need more veg then

does that sound ok as a menu

never really sure as a diabetic what I am meant to eat

thanks

Vicky_l

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi Vicky, good luck with your weight loss. Are you testing your bloods 2 hours after eating? You might find bananas are a no no.
I low carb, and test after meals to keep a check on BS. Have a look at Jenny Ruhls bloodsugar101 for low carb and diabetic food.

vicky_l

Hi Dawn

I have done but not on this eating regime

yeah dietician asked about bananas she said stick to half

at moment I dont have any strips for testing and until I can get someone to pick them up cant test blood glucose levels

am aiming to eat regular and hopefully half banana be ok if not will swap to pear but harder to make a smoothie with pear or apple doesnt work so well

will be careful tho

will have a look at that Jenny Ruhls thing on low carb and diabetic food

thanks again

Vicky_l

vicky_l

thanks Debs

ahh well lunch ended up being very different than original plan ended up eating ribs and half a large courgette was feeling really sick so hope that settles down now I have eaten lunch next meal at 5 that will be a salad ;-)

happy weight loss journey people

we can do it

Vicky_l

vonbon1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being sick 24/7
Hi Vicky. well done on your weight loss. a loss of 1-2lbs a week is the reccomended loss. so you're doing well. :clap:
Keep at it, if you can afford to try a bit more veggies.

We're with you all the way.
I'm 7 weeks into low carb diet.
Good luck
vonbon

vicky_l

thanks vonbon

am aiming for lots of veggie soups and juicing so that I can just grab some protein and eat with a juice or a soup biggest issue is breakfast what to have etc thats inexpensive for this week have smoothies as using stock cupboard items but will become a bigger issue when reserves in cupboard and freezer gone to live on my budget

heres to one week at a time :D

Vicky_l

vicky_l

Morning peeps :D

breakfast eaten 1 smoothie with beetroot, berries and banana plus 2 oz of almonds :p

now off to do normal Sunday stuff :wink:

Vicky_l

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Matcha green tea, smoked mackerel pate on Norwegian krisprolls:)

vicky_l

that sounds more like lunch to me :wink:

lunch tin mackerel, piece brie, an apple and 3 dried apricots :D

now to have the usual chaotic sunday afternoon getting ready for the week ahead :D

if necc take one meal at a time to conquer and overcome this disease I will lose all my weight and I will be in control of my health

Time to take back my health with a vengence :crazy:

Vicky_l

Fraddycat

Hi Vicky, for breakfast I quite often have greek yoghurt, 3 tablespoons with small handful of berries and some ground hazelnuts over the top. Its quite filling and satisfying. Also I have a slice of ham, a slice of emmenthal cheese and a piece of flaxmeal loaf with some butter.

Here's a recipe for the bread:

Flax meal loaf. Weight of cooked loaf 742 grams.

Ingredients.

2 cups of ground flax seeds (280 grams)
5 eggs
Half a cup of water
One third of a cup of liquid butter
One table spoon of baking powder
One tea spoon of salt
Added mixed dried herbs

Method

Place the eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk. Add the butter and water. Place the flax in another bowl and add baking powder, salt and herbs and mix.… Add the wet mix to the dry mix and mix thoroughly. Place the mix into a non stick bread tin and bake at gas mark 7 for 55 minutes, electric fan oven 200c for 55 minutes. All ovens are different, so you will have to experiment a bit. Add some walnuts and sun dried toms into the mix and you have meal in itself. Just add that lovely butter. The beauty of this bread is that it is easy to make, and requires no cooking skills or special equipment.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, I am new to this eating low carb thingy so cannot offer any advice but am very interested in your progress and would like to say, your doing fantastic, well done and keeping going! Good luck :)

vicky_l

thanks fraddycat sounds yummy

aww thats lovely encouragement Andy thank you

ok so its dinner time and I am so hungry (could eat a horse) but no meatballs rice peas and mushrooms is what I have :D add half a chicken to that and I will be happier but no this is it for now thinking I so need to find more money to eat right for me and thats the task this week

so heres to healthy eating for my body

Vicky_l

starlight1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
people who have no manners
good luck un, and well done on weight loss so far. x starlight :p

vicky_l

thank you starlight :D

ok dinner eaten and had a tin of tuna too as was so hungry

now put all I have eaten today into calorie counter to find still have 554 cals left so no wonder am hungry but hey ho tough luck no more food allowed as over eaten on food already according to my budget

the good news if undereating by 554 cals a day approx should lose an extra lb a week from now on :lol: result

vicky_l

vicky_l

:problem: :?: :!: :cry: :( :? :think:

difficult day

lots of red tape rubbish and no solutions

very much snacked not eaten a meal at all today but have atleast eaten reasonably sensible food unless you mention dried fruit

but going to bed and start again tomorrow

Vicky_l

vicky_l

today started slow and late

finally managed to wake myself or should I say drag myself out of bed (this is nuts and still tired and went to bed at 11 last night so almost 10 hrs in bed

so finally ate at 11.45 sausage mushroom and courgette Hope that will do til 5pm when will have dinner

hope everyone ok

not sure what I am doing with food just know it has to change to change sugar levels

starting metformin on Friday :?

Vicky_l

vicky_l

Today I start low carb properly

Made myself get up and make breakfast before 10 had finished it

Had two eggs and three mushrooms YUMMY :lol:

in an hour will take blood glucose to see effects of that meal on my levels and see if that breakfast is ok for me as a person

if it is mark it as a regular meal

if it isnt dump it

started deliberately with one I think will be ok and very basic so I can add sausage to it tomorrow if its ok today then if it becomes not ok I will know which food made it so

hope that makes sense

Vicky_l

vicky_l

Waking BG 7.2 breakfast of eggs and mushrooms
Post breakfast BG 5.7 quite a happy girlie :crazy:
Pre lunch BG 6.3 lunch of smoked haddock (lots) carrot and 2 sticks of celery
Post lunch BG 6.3 :eek: exactly the same :lol:
Pre dinner BG 6.6 hmmm :? going up is liver dumping this early or what now to eat or not and if so what (nuts avocado +apple?)
Post dinner BG 6.5 ok almost the same
Night BG 5.8 tired and headachy but thats ok am off to bed :wink:

I think todays ok but dont really know what readings should be but machine had smiley faces all day

Vicky_l

vicky_l

had avocado apple and nuts and now am so hungry want a hunk of meat :(

didnt give in and eat again just had pt of water :D