Type 2 Just been diagnosed type2 what are the first things I should do?

Shem S

The worst bit is no more peas?, gosh you've led a sheltered life. :)

Ha ha ha. You have no idea how much I peas and am not brave enough to admit on this forum that I eat mushy peas, cold, straight from the tin

Shem S

I prefer to use an Excel sheet where I record everything - my testing levels, my cholesterol results and the full breakdown of the components, all other blood test results, weight, blood pressure and so on. They are all in one place, and easy to add to and look back at, and importantly to show trends.

Lol, yes, I *might* have already started building my own. Gone through every app I can find but can’t find one that tracks everything and helps me to build my understanding of the relationship between what I’m eating and the various metrics/indices.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat *a lot* of fruit

Ooft
You can still have a bit of berries with unsweetened cream or whipped cream, maybe full-fat greek yoghurt with berries, walnuts, bit of coconut shavings... Yum! Berries aren't as sugary as other fruits. And hey, avocado and tomatoes are fruit too. ;)

Shem S

I have PCOS as well. This way of eating has cleared up my skin, my hair has thickened, I sleep much better, and cleared up my brain fog.

Ah. The dreaded brain fog. That has followed me around for years. Makes me look like an idiot when I’m really not.

As part of all of this I had been pestering my doctor because my hair has recently been falling out. Peri menopause is the top suggestion. But perhaps not.

If it can solve that then this could yet be my Damascene moment

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You've had some great advice and support. Shell, white and oily fish could be the back bone of your journey everyday, alongside everything ending in berry. I would suggest broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, bean shoots, celeriac, swede, cabbage and greens as some filler and staple suggestions. If your readings allow, you may be able to do butternut squash and carrots. If you can manage it walk after every meal, sleep well.

A bread alternative I have, is flax mug bread (quarter cup of flax meal, an egg, teaspoon of baking powder). 1 minute in the microwave and this is a great filler; you can eat just is, I add nutmeg, coconut flakes,cinnamon, ginger seasonings, baobab to pimp this up, and once cool some Greek yogurt or coconut milk. You can even slice this and toast it with cheese.

If you choose to get "fat adapted" (where your body runs off of fat instead of presently carbs), you have options to move to 2 or even 1 meal a day (sounds mad, but many of us do this), which naturally leads to intermittent fasting, where all meals are consumed within a maximum of 8 hours. If your head is spinning don't worry, you will get support every step of the way, as all of the groundwork will adjust your body to accept fat / ketones as a fuel, which in turn (when properly done) will begin to make the weight fall off, whilst keeping you full. Finally, a further option is extended fasting, once you got your food down pat. At the time of writing this I am 48 hours into no food at all, just teas, black coffee and water - if you would have suggested this to me a year and half ago, I would have said you were mad (weight lost after 36 hours 1.6 kg (I am exercising at the same time though)).

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ps, do people use/recommend any apps? I’m a sucker for data. The best one I’ve found so far for tracking my BG is DAFNE but I think that’s supposed to be for people with T1
There's a bunch of Keto Diet Apps that'll help calculate the preferred amount of fats, carbs and protein (the 3 macro-nutrients) to keep people fat-adapted (meaning burning fat instead of carbs for fuel...), and not becoming deficient in anything. Though I'm not sure if going straight for Keto is the right choice though. Gradually finding out what you respond well to may be better. (By the way, a lot of people lose a LOT of weight really fast on keto... I don't. It's slow going. That's the thyroid and PCOS. But it happens. Slowly, but it does.)

Reactions: Shem S

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. My next job is a clear out. If it’s not here it can’t kill me.

Did low carb/high fat adversely affect your cholesterol? I’ve got raised cholesterol too so been following the healthy eating advice for that; which is the exact opposite
I'm sorry I keep popping up in seperate posts, but I keep reading things out of order, haha. I was on statins for a blue monday. With LCHF my cholesterol went down, so I only took them for about a month. So no worries. LCHF is good for a great many things, cholesterol, fatty liver and T2 among them. PCOS too, by the way. I have no wish to get pregnant myself, but I know my odds of having a kid stick, should I change my mind, have improved. It's not a cure-all... But a cure-one-heck-of-a-lot. ;)

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. The dreaded brain fog. That has followed me around for years. Makes me look like an idiot when I’m really not.

As part of all of this I had been pestering my doctor because my hair has recently been falling out. Peri menopause is the top suggestion. But perhaps not.

(Your life is about to become a whole lot clearer)

Shem S

You've had some great advice and support. Shell, white and oily fish could be the back bone of your journey everyday, alongside everything ending in berry. I would suggest broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, bean shoots, celeriac, swede, cabbage and greens as some filler and staple suggestions. If your readings allow, you may be able to do butternut squash and carrots. If you can manage it walk after every meal, sleep well.

A bread alternative I have, is flax mug bread (quarter cup of flax meal, an egg, teaspoon of baking powder). 1 minute in the microwave and this is a great filler; you can eat just is, I add nutmeg, coconut flakes,cinnamon, ginger seasonings, baobab to pimp this up, and once cool some Greek yogurt or coconut milk. You can even slice this and toast it with cheese.

If you choose to get "fat adapted" (where your body runs off of fat instead of presently carbs), you have options to move to 2 or even 1 meal a day (sounds mad, but many of us do this), which naturally leads to intermittent fasting, where all meals are consumed within a maximum of 8 hours. If your head is spinning don't worry, you will get support every step of the way, as all of the groundwork will adjust your body to accept fat / ketones as a fuel, which in turn (when properly done) will begin to make the weight fall off, whilst keeping you full. Finally, a further option is extended fasting, once you got your food down pat. At the time of writing this I am 48 hours into no food at all, just teas, black coffee and water - if you would have suggested this to me a year and half ago, I would have said you were mad (weight lost after 36 hours 1.6 kg (I am exercising at the same time though)).

This is all brilliant advice and yes my head is spinning, in completely the opposite direction to what it was, but based on what everyone is saying this can only be a good thing.

I’m also an avid cook so once I shake off my current feelings of being supremely annoyed at having been following terrible advice over the years, I’ll be hammering my kitchen.

Anyone need a bread maker?

Hotpepper20000

For me the diagnosis of Type 2 was a blessing.
For years I knew something wasn’t right. All I got was “eat right and exercise”
I was a active person did HITT and ate what I though was healthy. But it wasn’t healthy for me.
I don’t exercise as much now but enjoy walking, cycling and swimming when I want to because I feel good not to loose weight.

Hotpepper20000

This is all brilliant advice and yes my head is spinning, in completely the opposite direction to what it was, but based on what everyone is saying this can only be a good thing.

I’m also an avid cook so once I shake off my current feelings of being supremely annoyed at having been following terrible advice over the years, I’ll be hammering my kitchen.

Anyone need a bread maker?
Well then you are a head of the game. I love to cook and it has helped me a great deal in this journey.

Shem S

That is wonderful. If you cut the carbs you can eat as much as you need to keep your energy levels up and to stop you being hungry. Butter, full fat Greek yogurts, cheese, cream, and eggs by the truck load. Dairy makes meals so much more enjoyable. What you can't do is eat carbs at the same time.

Good tips. I love all of these. I will also have to ditch being the queen of toast based meals. Living solo means I’d perfected quite the repertoire over the years. Binning bread is going to be killer

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What you describe is basically me too. Am so grateful for your advice. Thank you. I’m a tough cookie and renowned for loving a good problem to solve. The harder the better. But right now this is completely beyond me. I feel crushed that everything I’ve been doing to be healthy is what had put me in this position.

Ps dairy is fine. I just don’t eat meat

Pps the blood testing is already doing my head in

It's not beyond you. It feels like a lot, and hey, it IS a lot... Everything you thought you knew, about food, about your own body, has been turned on its head. And a lot of this stuff goes straight against advice from docs and dieticians, because there's no way they can keep up with current research, so a lot contradicts... But I do hope you're taking away one very important thing from all these replies people are making: There's hope. It can be done. People are doing it. And they want to help you do it, if you want help with it, of course. Meals could look like this:

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, a couple of cherry tomatoes and cheese. Or eggs whipped up with with cream, some erithyrol, cinnamon, with a few berries and some coconut shavings on the side and some extra cream on top. Or Full fat greek yoghurt with walnuts, coconut shavings and berries.

Green salad with tuna, capers, mayo and olives sound good? Or leafy greens with lukewarm goat's cheese, vinaigrette, couple of diced cherry tomatoes (in moderation!). Avocado to taste in either salad. ;)

Salmon or something similar for dinner with cauliflower- or broccoli-rice with more cheese tossed in. Snacks? Walnuts, pecans, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is really good. 2 squares will be enough to cover chocolate cravings. ;) ). I really enjoy selery sticks with a little bit of hummus. Not too much, as there's peas in there, but perk for you: there's peas in there. ;)

It's do-able. It really, really is. And what about the testing is doing your head in? Anything we can help with?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good tips. I love all of these. I will also have to ditch being the queen of toast based meals. Living solo means I’d perfected quite the repertoire over the years. Binning bread is going to be killer
has anyone recommended www.dietdoctor.com if not they have some great low carb recipes and have a veg section as well.

Shem S

What I suggest you do is ask for a print out of your blood test results. You are entitled to these. You can ring the receptionist to ask. They will include your cholesterol and lipids. It would be good if you know where you are starting from so you can watch for trends. If you are in England, most surgeries now put test results on line. You could ask if yours does (it should have been doing this since 2016) and how to register for it.

I’m seeing the nurse on Friday so will add this to my list. Poor woman isn’t going to know what’s hit her

Shem S

You can still have a bit of berries with unsweetened cream or whipped cream, maybe full-fat greek yoghurt with berries, walnuts, bit of coconut shavings... Yum! Berries aren't as sugary as other fruits. And hey, avocado and tomatoes are fruit too. ;)

Sounds lush. Thanks

Shem S

I'm sorry I keep popping up in seperate posts, but I keep reading things out of order, haha. I was on statins for a blue monday. With LCHF my cholesterol went down, so I only took them for about a month. So no worries. LCHF is good for a great many things, cholesterol, fatty liver and T2 among them. PCOS too, by the way. I have no wish to get pregnant myself, but I know my odds of having a kid stick, should I change my mind, have improved. It's not a cure-all... But a cure-one-heck-of-a-lot. ;)

Interesting. I gave up on the kid idea a long time ago x

Shem S

For me the diagnosis of Type 2 was a blessing.
For years I knew something wasn’t right. All I got was “eat right and exercise”
I was a active person did HITT and ate what I though was healthy. But it wasn’t healthy for me.
I don’t exercise as much now but enjoy walking, cycling and swimming when I want to because I feel good not to loose weight.

This is really good to know and gives me hope as I’ve essentially been doing the same. Thank you

Shem S

I’m not averse to fasting. Have tried it a few times over the years. Though the short term gains were obliterated, probably because I then followed up with staying low fat high carb