Type 2 Just been diagnosed type2 what are the first things I should do?

Shem S

Cut carbs and up the fats.. I lost 8 stone doing that along with some fasting. Low fat just makes you hungry and so give up. Fat provides satiety so you are less hungry. Shame that you don't eat meat as that's the best source of fat and protein however butter and cheese are great as well as avocados.

Thank you. Good to know what has been working for others. Diabetes won’t tempt me back to eating meat, but it’s manna from heaven that cheese is back on the menu. I genuinely went through a period of grief when I had to stop eating it cos of my high cholesterol.

I might just have a cheese soufflé for tea in celebration

Hotpepper20000

Thank you. Good to know what has been working for others. Diabetes won’t tempt me back to eating meat, but it’s manna from heaven that cheese is back on the menu. I genuinely went through a period of grief when I had to stop eating it cos of my high cholesterol.

Eggs are a staple for many who LCHF

Reactions: Shem S

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
Well done your treat found in your food that everything

Shem S

It's not beyond you. It feels like a lot, and hey, it IS a lot... Everything you thought you knew, about food, about your own body, has been turned on its head. And a lot of this stuff goes straight against advice from docs and dieticians, because there's no way they can keep up with current research, so a lot contradicts... But I do hope you're taking away one very important thing from all these replies people are making: There's hope. It can be done. People are doing it. And they want to help you do it, if you want help with it, of course. Meals could look like this:

Scrambled eggs with mushrooms, a couple of cherry tomatoes and cheese. Or eggs whipped up with with cream, some erithyrol, cinnamon, with a few berries and some coconut shavings on the side and some extra cream on top. Or Full fat greek yoghurt with walnuts, coconut shavings and berries.

Green salad with tuna, capers, mayo and olives sound good? Or leafy greens with lukewarm goat's cheese, vinaigrette, couple of diced cherry tomatoes (in moderation!). Avocado to taste in either salad. ;)

Salmon or something similar for dinner with cauliflower- or broccoli-rice with more cheese tossed in. Snacks? Walnuts, pecans, cheese, olives, extra dark chocolate (Lindt 85% is really good. 2 squares will be enough to cover chocolate cravings. ;) ). I really enjoy selery sticks with a little bit of hummus. Not too much, as there's peas in there, but perk for you: there's peas in there. ;)

It's do-able. It really, really is. And what about the testing is doing your head in? Anything we can help with?

This is a list of gorgeousness I’ve been denying myself for years. Apart from the erith thing. I have no clue what that is. And yes, not only do I clearly need the help, I’m very willing to accept it too.

My body is and continues to be the single biggest disappointment in my life. I’ve been able to turn my hand to any and every problem I’ve ever faced. Apart from this one. I’m not joking when I say my body is my enemy. It holds me back. I hate it and if I could function without it, I gladly would.

Reactions: briped

Hotpepper20000

Oh my. Think of all the cheeses.
Sometimes whe Mr Hotpepper is out for a evening I make a cheese board with olives and sour pickles for dinner.

Hotpepper20000

This is a list of gorgeousness I’ve been denying myself for years. Apart from the erith thing. I have no clue what that is. And yes, not only do I clearly need the help, I’m very willing to accept it too.

My body is and continues to be the single biggest disappointment in my life. I’ve been able to turn my hand to any and every problem I’ve ever faced. Apart from this one. I’m not joking when I say my body is my enemy. It holds me back. I hate it and if I could function without it, I gladly would.
Oh wow I can relate. I like to think I’m a smart person but the weight, brain fog and body pain has held me back.
It was so frustrating. But now you know what needs to be done! Not every day will be a success but you can come here and find support.

Shem S

Oh my. Think of all the cheeses.
Sometimes whe Mr Hotpepper is out for a evening I make a cheese board with olives and sour pickles for dinner.

Best not tell me where you live otherwise I’ll be knocking on the door. A few years ago I celebrated losing a stone by having a cheese party. It was one of the best nights of my life

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As far as apps are concerned, I use mySugr. It is simple to use, you need to turn off the sound. There is a free version, £2.99 per month for the version that allows you to export.

The other app is diabetes:m, again there is a trial version and, if memory serves, $4.99 for the full version.

Download both and try them out to see which suits you best. Both apps will give you an estimated HbA1c number based on the data you enter.

Shem S

Oh wow I can relate. I like to think I’m a smart person but the weight, brain fog and body pain has held me back.
It was so frustrating. But now you know what needs to be done! Not every day will be a success but you can come here and find support.

Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. Though you may yet regret saying that. I’ll be relentless til I’ve got this under control lol x

Hotpepper20000

This forum is fantastic. I can honestly say it saved my life. I was in a pretty dark place mentally and physically.
There is always someone here to answer questions.

Can’t tell you how much I appreciate your kind and encouraging words. Though you may yet regret saying that. I’ll be relentless til I’ve got this under control lol x

Shem S

This forum is fantastic. I can honestly say it saved my life. I was in a pretty dark place mentally and physically.
There is always someone here to answer questions.

I already agree. I was completely flailing and had no idea how to even inch forward but everyone’s willingness has genuinely made a difference to how I feel today. Thank you

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Because I am very fat, have always been fat and have been trying to lose weight since I hit puberty. I am currently 5 and a half stone overweight

yep. many overweight people report exactly the same and discover that it was the low fat products making us fat!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah this just gets worse and worse. Grapes, bananas and peas are my top 3 of my 5 a day. I pretty much eat them every day.

I’m gonna need therapy

the five a day is a marketing myth too.......

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, yes, I *might* have already started building my own. Gone through every app I can find but can’t find one that tracks everything and helps me to build my understanding of the relationship between what I’m eating and the various metrics/indices.
take a look at cronometer, you can set up various health markers and even make up your own. tts particularl keto/low carb freindly and the base version is free.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re your cholesterol concerns. As others have said numbers almost always improve.

One caveat I’d add is in the short term whilst actively losing weight they may blip upwards. I’ve seen a fair few say this Your body is dumping out the fat it’s stored in essence and it shows up. Any method of weight loss can cause this not just low carb. It also then drops back to lower than starting. Personally I’m avoiding another test for now til my weight stabilises as I’ve already had the statins lecture and I’d rather avoid a repeat.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You will find dozens of peoople on here who felt exactly the same. many of those very same people had a party in Birmingham, recently, full of zest for life, laughing at the irony of it all, whilst tucking into all the foods oue " dieticians " frown about. yes its a shock, but if you are like many of us, you will soon come to think tht this diagnosis was a good thing that will enable you to spend the nxt stage of your life a lot happier with your body than before!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Erythritol... It would help so much if I remembered how to spell it correctly! ;) It's extremely carby, but it's the kind of carb that never makes it into the bloodstream. Useless sweetener for tea or coffee, but turns out it goes well with other kitcheny-stuff. For baking and cooking.

My body's been against me, always. Chemical imbalances in my brain (hello clinical depression, introverted borderline personality disorder), hormonal imbalances (PCOS, Vit D deficiency/Rickets, T2, Hashimoto's), malformed spine, chronic migraines, malformed uterus, rheumatism... I can go on. For quite a while. So I know where you're coming from and I 100% believe you tried to fight it all tooth and nail. That's also why I am sure you can handle this. You've been to the wars already, this is just a new tactic to try... One that should actually work. And you just never got advice that fit your body's specific needs, which wasn't your fault. (Neither did I until 2 years ago!). You tried and you tried hard. Now it's time to change tactics.