Just bought a bike!

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eek, feeling very excited right now! My partner wanted to hire bikes and go riding for the day about 2 weeks ago. I wasn't keen on the idea as I hadn't been near a bike in 10 years, am very clumsy and quite anxious. But I thought I would give it a go anyway ... And I loved it! I never thought I could enjoy any sort of exercise but we rode from 10am until 4pm and I couldn't wait to go again straight after. I felt exhilarated and my bg levels were really nice all day!

Anyway, actually went and bought bikes today. I'm going to collect it at 3pm tomorrow and I really just can't wait! I'm hoping I'll get a bit of independence back as I'm too anxious to leave the house on foot alone but maybe I can do it on a bike.

Anyone got any tips? I'm type 1 and have probably never exercised in my life (I don't sit on my backside all day, my job is very physical). I feel like I'm turning a corner and becoming a new person at the moment and I'm very excited by it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 10 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Go Rosie go!!:D Absolutely marvellous, I can really relate to the excited feeling too, it's so wonderful when something you maybe dreaded turns out so much better than you could imagine. You are going to enjoy your exercise I know.

I am T2 so can't advise about meds and exercise but I do know that getting out there is life affirming :happy:

Have fun!

Reactions: 7 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
This is my baby.......
image.jpg

What you cant see is my crocheted skirt guard and straw basket!
http://www.simeli.nl/welcome/page.php?ID=763&lang=1#

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: 3 people

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go Rosie go!!:D Absolutely marvellous, I can really relate to the excited feeling too, it's so wonderful when something you maybe dreaded turns out so much better than you could imagine. You are going to enjoy your exercise I know.

I am T2 so can't advise about meds and exercise but I do know that getting out there is life affirming :happy:

Have fun!
Thank you so much popsy, you've increased my excitement (which I didn't know was possible haha) with your encouragement :) x

Reactions: 4 people

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aldi are selling cycling kit just now (since Sunday) - a good chance to pick up decent kit at very cheap prices eg fingerless padded cycle gloves and padded seat covers, which add a lot of comfort, especially for longer rides.

Hope you enjoy your cycling. Personally, I cycle a fair bit, mainly to / from food shopping, work, taking cat to vet (in box on back rack) etc, but also for fun eg geocaching, which is worth a try - eventually you'll need a GPS, but many can be found with maps from website, plus photo clues - see www.geocaching.com

Reactions: 2 people

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm actually thinking of getting a bike, we live opposite the Trans Pennine Trail, in fact I can see it from my sitting room window. Got an eye on ebay, it has to be a folding one, we live in a cottage. The thing is I cant ride a bike, I have no balance and I have fallen off so many times I gave it up as a bad job years ago. I even have to get off the bike to turn a corner. But I can walk to the TPT and then cycle cos its all straight from there.
Scandi the TPT is so muddy I couldn't be bothered washing the cycle cover every time, pretty as it is.

Ernest Moreau

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
That was very long riding well bike is really a good way of exercising in fact i only experience doing bike in a gym at http://www.foreverclub.fi/ and also do some thread mill cause my doctor said that a little bit exercising will help you to get cured and have an healthy life.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone :)
I actually rode my bike into work and home again the day before yesterday. I hardly felt anxious/nervous at all, which just makes me feel even more excited. I can actually get out and about on my own now and save a fortune on taxi fares!
I have 4 days off from work now so I will practice a bit as I am still a little unsteady/unbalanced and clumsy.

Reactions: 7 people

Ernest Moreau

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You will
I actually rode my bike into work and home again the day before yesterday. I hardly felt anxious/nervous at all, which just makes me feel even more excited. I can actually get out and about on my own now and save a fortune on taxi fares!
I have 4 days off from work now so I will practice a bit as I am still a little unsteady/unbalanced and clumsy.

Goodluck on your practice .

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news, RosieDred - commuting by bike is great - free exercise (once you've bought bike, lights & reflectors, plus a pump and tools and an inner tube every so often - best to have one at home, so you can change if you get a puncture, then mend the puncture when you have more time, even if shops are closed) and saves on fares / car parking costs :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Congratulations RosieDred!
Very excited for you! Great time of year to get a bicycle too.
Looking at your bike, I have Butch Cassidy and Sundance kid movie clip 'raindrops keep falling on my head' running through my head! Hopefully more sunshine than raindrops for you out cycling though!:joyful:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Aldi are selling cycling kit just now (since Sunday) - a good chance to pick up decent kit at very cheap prices eg fingerless padded cycle gloves and padded seat covers, which add a lot of comfort, especially for longer rides.

Hope you enjoy your cycling. Personally, I cycle a fair bit, mainly to / from food shopping, work, taking cat to vet (in box on back rack) etc, but also for fun eg geocaching, which is worth a try - eventually you'll need a GPS, but many can be found with maps from website, plus photo clues - see www.geocaching.com

Geocache looks awesome! thankyou!

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
To keep up the motivation have a look at sky ride or sportif UK. They organise rides of all shapes and sizes abilities etc etc. all over the UK.

I only started riding again in January and must say the more you ride the flatter those hills become.

My next one will be the tour de Essex with a choice of 40-70 or 120 miles.

Oh and a bicycle computer is great too (from 5£ to 300£) to keep track of those hard won miles.

I'm type 2 and all the exercise is keeping me off the meds!

Reactions: 8 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rosie, I think you're doing the right thing. My doctor told me years ago that cycling is better than walking for my knees. It's 30 years since I rode a bike and I have to say it was a lethal weapon! ( or was I the lethal weapon?). Anyway I have the scars to prove my bike and I had a fight with a bramble bush! Also, I did a lot of circular routes because I could only turn left ... I'm right handed and not good at steering with my left hand whilst turning right.

I am however thinking if getting an exercise bike ;-)

Go girl! Good luck!

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rosie, I think you're doing the right thing. My doctor told me years ago that cycling is better than walking for my knees. It's 30 years since I rode a bike and I have to say it was a lethal weapon! ( or was I the lethal weapon?). Anyway I have the scars to prove my bike and I had a fight with a bramble bush! Also, I did a lot of circular routes because I could only turn left ... I'm right handed and not good at steering with my left hand whilst turning right.

I am however thinking if getting an exercise bike ;-)

Go girl! Good luck!

Thank you :) I'm enjoying it so much more than I thought I would. Haven't had much sun except when I'm work so haven't been on a proper ride yet but have been using it briefly in evenings and such. I'm glad I'm not the only klutz although to haven't fallen off yet (been close a few times and I'm quite wobbly and don't do straight very well). An exercise bike sounds much safe as long as you don't get too into it and fall off lol :)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To keep up the motivation have a look at sky ride or sportif UK. They organise rides of all shapes and sizes abilities etc etc. all over the UK.

I only started riding again in January and must say the more you ride the flatter those hills become.

My next one will be the tour de Essex with a choice of 40-70 or 120 miles.

Oh and a bicycle computer is great too (from 5£ to 300£) to keep track of those hard won miles.

I'm type 2 and all the exercise is keeping me off the meds!

Awesome!
Can you join us on the 6th July for the TeamBG ride at Box Hill?http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Box_Hill_Cycle_Ride.html