Just started metformin -facial rash/lumps

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just started taking metformin (sukkarto SR) yesterday. I took it at about 10am and by 4pm my face felt hot and tight (but not particularly red) and I have what feel like tiny lumps under my skin all over my face.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does it wear off after taking it for a while or will it continue for as long as I’m on it?!

I’ve taken an anti-histamine to see if that helps

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering if it is an allergic reaction and think you need to let your doctor know about it ASAP - and as it is Sunday tomorrow, think about not taking the tablet - if it is an allergic reaction is could be really ramping up exponentially.
Having seen what repeated exposure to an allergen can do twice in my lifetime - to different people, not to me - the results were rather nasty. It might be coincidence or nothing to worry about, but I think it ought to be taken seriously until just what is going on is checked out.
One incident was a second bee sting. It was memorable. The other was peanut butter.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I agree with @Resurgam, it's possibly an allergic reaction to something in the metformin. Stop taking the drug till you've spoken to the doctor.

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for both your replies. I never thought about the possibility of effects increasing as I continue to take it and the amount of medication in my body increases. I just thought it would at worst continue to cause the skin issue. Oops.

I have taken one this morning and did find my skin felt tight again later on

I will miss the dose tomorrow and call the GP on Monday

Thank you

Reactions: EllieM