Just switched to Humulin R, having problems

kylenagp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

Up until recently, I've been using Novolog Flexpen for my fast acting insulin, but I've been forced to switch to Humulin R. I'm being careful with how many units I give myself, because I know it can be volatile if you use too much. But the Humulin R hasn't been working very well and my blood sugar has been staying in a medium-high range. Should I just use a higher dosage? Or is the insulin not working because I'm new to Humulin R? If anyone has experience with Humulin R or switching insulin types, I'd love some advice. Thank you!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Are you injecting it 30 mins before you eat? Do remember also it's duration is longer than the rapid as well.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Agree with @CarbsRok. Have a look at the graph below. It shows the difference between Humulin R and Novolog.

module-ii-insulin-therapy-37-728.jpg

As you can see, the Novolog peaks earlier with greater strength whereas Humulin R peaks later with less effect. As a result you need to inject quite a bit earlier with the Humulin R.

kylenagp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for the graph! Unfortunately, I have been using a good amount of Humulin R throughout the day, but it hasn't helped. My blood levels have been very high (in the 400s). It's like the Humulin R doesn't do anything at all! All I have other than the Humulin R right now is my long-acting Lantus. For the time being, would it be safe to use the Lantus in the morning as well as in the evening, just to keep my levels controlled until I can find a solution?

I'm planning to buy some more rapid-acting Novolog out of pocket (with a coupon discount) because I don't currently have health insurance in my state. I'm moving in about 2 months somewhere else where I WILL have health insurance, and I just need to figure out a good way to manage my blood sugars until then.