just wanting some information

Loulee

hi on Friday i am going to see the diabetic doctors i have had a normal HbA1c test done no ketones but the doctors says my glucose levels show t2 diabetes.
my reading can very here's a few examples
before breakfast 9, 6, 6.9, 7.8, 6, 13.6, 7, 6.1
then before lunch
13.8, 9.2, 6.1, 5.8, 11.8, 5.7
then after lunch
11.5, 6.2, 8.8, 6.6, 22.4, 8.1, 8.5, 7.2

just a bit worried about wants going on

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Loulee

Those numbers are high. When you see your doctor find out what your HbA1c score is. Also confirm that your are Type 2. Loads of information and help on this site. Someone will be along with some links shortly. Welcome to the forum, you have found the best site on the planet.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome, @Loulee.
It looks as though the doctors are going to confirm your T2 diagnosis and will give you info on HbA1c score and possibly meds and diet info.

I see Brunneria has provided recommended links, so I will just wish you well, and recommend that you read, and come back with any further questions.

Loulee

thankyou for your help i have had appointment letter but says nothing about fasting before as i got told they are going to do some more blood tests

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it’s a repeat HbA1c fasting isn’t required.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

As previous people have said you have found the best place for any newly diagnose diabetic to hang around on. This site has many people with knowledge and experience of diabetes who are very generous with their time and knowledge.

It is quite normal to feel scared and overwhelmed at first but you will gradually get your head around it.

Hello and welcome.

Loulee

thankyou very much its been a shock dont have any relatives with it but feeling very run down no energy all the time finding it really difficult to get motivated to do things

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is normal to do a second HbA1c to confirm the first result. Try and remember to get a printout of both tests and keep for your records. Fasting makes no difference because it is an average of the last 12 weeks or so.

Please also remember that the NHS still dishes out some really dodgy advice to T2s. Come back here, and question everything you are told.

And most importantly, don't panic.

mouseee

I'm sure it's a shock and you'll be really worried. Your numbers are fairly typical with lots of peaks after meals. Assuming you are t2, as the Dr has told you, that's your body not being able to use the glucose properly as t2s are insulin resistant. As you find out more about what to do to change your diet you'll see that coming down.

Once you've got your blood sugar under control you will definitely feel better. I felt so much better within a matter of days of making changes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Normally you can largely ignore your fasting blood sugar unless you have an unusual diabetes type. Similarly you need to take account of the carbs in a meal when you test after a meal. You do have some high readings which do show poor BS control. A normal HBa1C readings seems strange for you?

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
thankyou for your help i have had appointment letter but says nothing about fasting before as i got told they are going to do some more blood tests

well going against the consencus here, but i would fast.

IF you are type 2, as i was, then those numbers become very important markers for how well you are doing over the months and years as you get each new HBA1c blood test.

Sure it's just a HBA1c test, but for me, mine includes a whole heap of numbers, above just that 3 month average, that tells ME so much more about MY state of health, be a shame to waste the opportunity just to save on fasting imho.

yes i know many say you don't have to fast..mmhh

so if one test is after a nice juicy steak dinner, and the next is an ice cream feast will they be the same or does the clean slate approach offer the best view of your bloods each time...?

for me, once i knew enough, all my test are fasted..

i rather nerdily have all my reading from way back in 2011, pre dx, so not fasted,
and then from Dx aug fasted, the difference is remarkable over time.
i just wish they are were fasted or not.

so should you fast or not.....sure if you want to.

What always bothers me about those who KNOW...

is that those who know or are supposed to know, told me not to fast, until i read otherwise,
they also never mentioned that t2's on metformin can suffer harm if the B12 level drop, and it can be irreparable damage, and metformin CAN make that happen to some,..and that SHOULD be well known to all HCP where T2D is involved yet it was never mentioned then or since.

i wouldn't call it a lack of trust, but I PAY the price if that advise is ever wrong NOT them
forewarned IS forearmed.

so once aware i then asked for B12 to be added to MY blood tests..and the result was ok, but lower then i would like.
so now i now supplement with additional B12 , hopefully i'll find that the b12 has made some difference,

but would any of those tests be of any use, in comparing like for like, if the tests are all some food, a little food, a lot of food, ?

for me, fasted test, gives a level playing field every time, no variables.

sorry if that confuses things, feel free to ignore.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my reading can very here's a few examples
before breakfast 9, 6, 6.9, 7.8, 6, 13.6, 7, 6.1
then before lunch
13.8, 9.2, 6.1, 5.8, 11.8, 5.7
then after lunch
11.5, 6.2, 8.8, 6.6, 22.4, 8.1, 8.5, 7.2

just a bit worried about wants going on

These numbers basically shows that there is impaired glucose clearance. What is not captured by the glucose meter is how much insulin the pancreas have to squeeze out to help clear the glucose flowing in the system.

This chart gives some idea of where you may be at...a carbs lite, fats friendly, insulin sparing lifestyle can give our pancreas the relief it badly needs...

upload_2019-11-12_8-9-18.png

Reactions: jjraak