keto adaptation

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. I am in ketosis, but not yet adapted. I am eating quite a lot of calories of fat, and am not losing weight, ( not that that's my aim ATM.) Will I adapt quicker if I have less calories? If I am always feeding my body even though it's mainly fat, will it ever adjust?

Thanks

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I am in ketosis, but not yet adapted. I am eating quite a lot of calories of fat, and am not losing weight, ( not that that's my aim ATM.) Will I adapt quicker if I have less calories? If I am always feeding my body even though it's mainly fat, will it ever adjust?

Thanks

I'll bump this for you Benjo. It may have been missed in the morning rush.

I have never particularly sought out nutritional ketosis. I stuck with striving for decent blood sugar levels and my well-being. Of course, there are plenty whose approach has been quite different to my own.

One point I will raise, Benjo is that it would be extremely useful to amend your diabetes status to indicate the sort of Diabetes you have been diagnosed with. The details of the desirability or approach to dietary change can be significantly impacted if your are T1 against T2, pre-diabetic, or whatever type.

You can change your diabetes status by going to your account page, via a click to your user name, at the top of the page. From there, the specific setting is part way down the page, and has a drop down menu you can select from. If that is a challenge, I can change that for you you say what type you are and specifically it would be helpful to declare if you use insulin or oral meds, if you are T2.

Reactions: benjo123456

jd58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low fat and carbs
Calories nothing to do with it cant apply them to human body and non scientific. I'm in and out of keto have been for 18 months - monitor using keto stick; only eat real meat / fish and very little carb less than 10g per day and no dairy you will then be respiring body fat more for energy weight will drop off slowly. You could go completely carnivorous that will loose you weight too.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Calories nothing to do with it cant apply them to human body and non scientific. I'm in and out of keto have been for 18 months - monitor using keto stick; only eat real meat / fish and very little carb less than 10g per day and no dairy you will then be respiring body fat more for energy weight will drop off slowly. You could go completely carnivorous that will loose you weight too.
Thanks

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Eating fat does not put you into ketosis. Limiting carbs AND protein does. Both spike insulin and keeping insulin levels low is what puts us into ketosis. Dietary fat is used to replace carb and protein calories. So for ketosis we need to keep our carbs low, moderate our protein ( .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass) and eat enough fat to satisfy.
I find animal / saturated fat harder to burn but many do well with them. I tend to use more avocado, olive oil, mayo and a few nuts as my main fats. A little butter and cheese for pleasure.

I am ONLY describing ketosis. I am NOT recommending how you eat. I thrive in ketosis but not knowing what type of diabetes you have, I want to be clear, I’m not recommending anything

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Limiting carbs AND protein does.
For me protein has little impact so I would say for some people protein has a bigger impact than for others..
Limiting carbs drastically I would agree with. My average protein consumption this year (since feb) has been 134g per day I weigh 97kg LBM 75kg maybe... so way over what it should be but I'm pretty regularly in ketosis.

Reactions: benjo123456

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Eating fat does not put you into ketosis. Limiting carbs AND protein does. Both spike insulin and keeping insulin levels low is what puts us into ketosis. Dietary fat is used to replace carb and protein calories. So for ketosis we need to keep our carbs low, moderate our protein ( .8-1 g per kg LEAN body mass) and eat enough fat to satisfy.
I find animal / saturated fat harder to burn but many do well with them. I tend to use more avocado, olive oil, mayo and a few nuts as my main fats. A little butter and cheese for pleasure.

I am ONLY describing ketosis. I am NOT recommending how you eat. I thrive in ketosis but not knowing what type of diabetes you have, I want to be clear, I’m not recommending anything
Thanks. I don't actually have diabetes, and my blood sugar levels are fine. I am having a strange reaction to all carbs, though, which is why I'm trying to adapt to keto.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Why no cheese?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me protein has little impact so I would say for some people protein has a bigger impact than for others..
Limiting carbs drastically I would agree with. My average protein consumption this year (since feb) has been 134g per day I weigh 97kg LBM 75kg maybe... so way over what it should be but I'm pretty regularly in ketosis.
That’s just how ketosis is described. Not how I said to eat. And I think I was clear that I wasnt recommending any diet but rather explaining it. Protein can be a big element for some , such as me, and not for others. Hence the not recommending anything verbiage I used

Last edited:

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can I ask what kind of reaction?
It's been really strange. No doctor can work it out, although I have been refered to an endocrinologist who may get to the bottom of it. Basically, whenever I eat carbs I have a massive emtional reaction, I cry and have a big emotional, almost hormonal release. this is totally diffent to my normal character. Usually I never cry, but carbs seem to make me cry like a baby .

To fix this, I've stopped carbs totally, but am struggling to adapt to fat burning, although I have entered ketosis.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's been really strange. No doctor can work it out, although I have been refered to an endocrinologist who may get to the bottom of it. Basically, whenever I eat carbs I have a massive emtional reaction, I cry and have a big emotional, almost hormonal release. this is totally diffent to my normal character. Usually I never cry, but carbs seem to make me cry like a baby .

To fix this, I've stopped carbs totally, but am struggling to adapt to fat burning, although I have entered ketosis.
That happens to me when I eat grains, starches, sugars and dairy. Even if I take a sip of hubbies Guinness foam. Just the foam, not the beer. Veggies only bother my stomach.
Sounds like a food intolerance like gluten or grains in general. Starches put me in a comatose sleep

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That happens to me when I eat grains, starches, sugars and dairy. Even if I take a sip of hubbies Guinness foam. Just the foam, not the beer. Veggies only bother my stomach.
Sounds like a food intolerance like gluten or grains in general. Starches put me in a comatose sleep
It may well be that. It happens with all carbs, though, even veggies. It's completely bizzare, and seems to be my body reacting against years of food-abuse.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes. I feel much better without carbs for a while, all those symptoms go away, but then I start suffering from not having any carbs in my body when I have only ever run on glucose my whole life. That brings with it hypoglycemia and feeling very ill in generall. At the moment I am stuck between not being able to eat carbs, and not beng adapted to fat. My hope is that I will dapt before too long. I have been completely carb free since last friday, and I am seeing encouraging signs, but it's still very hard, my body is just not used to it.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes. I feel much better without carbs for a while, all those symptoms go away, but then I start suffering from not having any carbs in my body when I have only ever run on glucose my whole life. That brings with it hypoglycemia and feeling very ill in generall. At the moment I am stuck between not being able to eat carbs, and not beng adapted to fat. My hope is that I will dapt before too long. I have been completely carb free since last friday, and I am seeing encouraging signs, but it's still very hard, my body is just not used to it.
I can't remember if you are monitoring your blood sugars or not.. but when you say you get hypoglycemia are you measuring your blood sugar levels and if so how low are they going?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For feeling ill, it’s important to have enough sea salt to adapt easier. Low/ no carb is dehydrating by nature. It’s also important to not over eat protein to fat adapt. Try drinking broth with sea salt and a torch of butter or ghee in the morning. Very revitalizing. Fat adapting does take time and if you treat the not feeling well with carbs you will be back to square one. You kind of have to just push through it and then most likely the magic will happen. Are you losing weight? I’d so, then it’s most likely water weight and is a sign you need some salt. You don’t need to gob the fat but don’t skimp. Protein does spike insulin so over eating it isn’t a good idea to become fat adapted. Fat adaption is about keeping insulin levels low. For now, until you feel better eat fatty foods until your satisfied. This process usually only lasts about a week so don’t give in now! The finish line is ahead
Re carbs. Lately even some celery makes me hungry lol. I don’t feel well with anything over 20 per day and that’s mostly fatty carbs like avocado and some nuts. Fat and fiber attached.

Now the standard saying, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For feeling ill, it’s important to have enough sea salt to adapt easier. Low/ no carb is dehydrating by nature. It’s also important to not over eat protein to fat adapt. Try drinking broth with sea salt and a torch of butter or ghee in the morning. Very revitalizing. Fat adapting does take time and if you treat the not feeling well with carbs you will be back to square one. You kind of have to just push through it and then most likely the magic will happen. Are you losing weight? I’d so, then it’s most likely water weight and is a sign you need some salt. You don’t need to gob the fat but don’t skimp. Protein does spike insulin so over eating it isn’t a good idea to become fat adapted. Fat adaption is about keeping insulin levels low. For now, until you feel better eat fatty foods until your satisfied. This process usually only lasts about a week so don’t give in now! The finish line is ahead
Re carbs. Lately even some celery makes me hungry lol. I don’t feel well with anything over 20 per day and that’s mostly fatty carbs like avocado and some nuts. Fat and fiber attached.

Now the standard saying, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT.
Thanks for your advise. This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I think I'm eating too much. Will I keto adapt quicker if I eat less, even fat?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your advise. This is pretty much what I'm doing, though I think I'm eating too much. Will I keto adapt quicker if I eat less, even fat?
Most likely. The other idea behind keto is keeping glycogen stores as empty as possible. Carbs fill them th elastest, then protein. Exercise empties them, resistance especially but cardio works too. Or just giving them time to empty and not keep topping them off. If you feel you’re eating too much then don’t. Too much heavy food and heavy fat bogs me down and slows my digestion too much. Plant fats are easier for me than animal fats but you may be different.

Eating fat does not put us into ketosis. It’s there for satisfaction. replacing calories and warding off hunger. This does not mean the more fat you eat, the faster you’ll get into ketosis.

MY motto is vlc/ moderate protein and just enough fat to satisfy. No more no less. Many people fast to stay in ketosis and keep insulin levels low. And to combat insulin reaistance. If you ate lots of carbs before you could be insulin resistant which makes it more important to keep carbs and proteins at the right levels for you. Fat does impede insulin ( many will argue) and animal fats more than plant fats. I clearly see this WITH ME as I need much more insulin for fatty meats vs fatty avocado. I also know if I over eat protein I require more insulin for up to a few days to regain sensitivity. If I over eat protein at dinner, my fastings are higher. I never knew this as a type 2 but after starting insulin it became very clear.

You’ll have to trial and error your macros to suit you. You do not need to be hungry, nor do you need to force food. Just stop when satisfied. Truly, I can only eat a certain amount of fat without feeling gross. I always keep carbs very low and I still weigh my protein as it’s easy to over eat and I just eat fat as desired. I still watch calories but I don’t count them. Keto isn’t eat as much fat as you want. Nor is it high protein. Some make the mistake of eating protein to replace carbs.

What kind of fat are you eating? Dairy is very insulinogenic. Are you trying to lose weight as well?

Again... we are all different and need to find our own diets. My personal diet and results were designed by me, for me

benjo123456

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Most likely. The other idea behind keto is keeping glycogen stores as empty as possible. Carbs fill them th elastest, then protein. Exercise empties them, resistance especially but cardio works too. Or just giving them time to empty and not keep topping them off. If you feel you’re eating too much then don’t. Too much heavy food and heavy fat bogs me down and slows my digestion too much. Plant fats are easier for me than animal fats but you may be different.

Eating fat does not put us into ketosis. It’s there for satisfaction. replacing calories and warding off hunger. This does not mean the more fat you eat, the faster you’ll get into ketosis.

MY motto is vlc/ moderate protein and just enough fat to satisfy. No more no less. Many people fast to stay in ketosis and keep insulin levels low. And to combat insulin reaistance. If you ate lots of carbs before you could be insulin resistant which makes it more important to keep carbs and proteins at the right levels for you. Fat does impede insulin ( many will argue) and animal fats more than plant fats. I clearly see this WITH ME as I need much more insulin for fatty meats vs fatty avocado. I also know if I over eat protein I require more insulin for up to a few days to regain sensitivity. If I over eat protein at dinner, my fastings are higher. I never knew this as a type 2 but after starting insulin it became very clear.

You’ll have to trial and error your macros to suit you. You do not need to be hungry, nor do you need to force food. Just stop when satisfied. Truly, I can only eat a certain amount of fat without feeling gross. I always keep carbs very low and I still weigh my protein as it’s easy to over eat and I just eat fat as desired. I still watch calories but I don’t count them. Keto isn’t eat as much fat as you want. Nor is it high protein. Some make the mistake of eating protein to replace carbs.

What kind of fat are you eating? Dairy is very insulinogenic. Are you trying to lose weight as well?

Again... we are all different and need to find our own diets. My personal diet and results were designed by me, for me
I have been eating a lot of dairy, my reasoning being it's as pure a fat I can think of. Is this a bad idea? will it raise insulin?