Keto as a 'fun and flirty diet'!

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi folks, my partner is very sweet and sends me heaps of anti-Keto articles, just to 'know thy enemy' keep me informed, and there are so many I don't usually take especial notice. But this one was so amusing I just had to post and hear what fellow keto WOE-ers had do to say -

Where does the idea that a way of eating is "fun and flirty" come from? Any ideas? :D

https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/z3bv94/keto-diet-experts-rank-best

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
What a load of unscientific cobblers.
I especially liked the "oh, it can be useful for diabetics" throwaway line given the number of T2 diabetics in the USA.

Still, I am cheered by the label "fun and flirty". Take what plaudits you can get!

The "fun and flirty" bit seems to be because you can enjoy being on the diet, eating steak, cheese, hamburger etc. instead of suffering.

Strange people out there.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
David Katz, he is a ....... So a person decides to take up 5k running, can they do this without the aches pains associated with this change; why then would he expect a carb burner not to get Keto Flu after decades of carb addiction, is he .....stupid.

As you can tell this gentleman is not my favourite. He is an expert, I would go as far to say brilliant debator who is anti-meat. He knows how to play a crowd, so can be wrong, but right at the same time. Not a friend of low carb person a and would gladly see my blood sugars go crazy on the Eat Lancet diet.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, good point about taking the positives where they flow @LittleGreyCat, and the strange folks, quite right.

But, how is a way of eating ever fun? Am I missing something? :).

And my mind has been amusingly reeling (OK - this is the fun part - I see your point...!) about the flirty, which implies flirting - sexual/romantic verbal play... I must admit Keto has never been such a verbal-play starter for me...:) (as I have written in here over the years - usually just entails folks trying to discuss my bowel movements with me! lol. Definitely really un-sexy in my book.)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
about the flirty, which implies flirting - sexual/romantic verbal play...

perhaps like any love affair...

by LC/Keto we begin that dance of love with our bodies,
first be slowly enticing it away from a former love.(carbs),
then gently showing it the pleasures available IF our bodies would only allow itself to be
seduced by the Lure of LC/keto.

Until finally the eyes are wide open that we, by our seduction offer a much better way of of life
then our bodies old, tired & worthless lover, a lover that abused the trust placed in it,

:)

Many are chosen but sadly only a few are picked to enjoy the benefits we do.
So "lets celebrate, our love tonight
it seems the natural thing to do..."

To Diabetic bodies everywhere...with love

Reactions: VashtiB

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@jjraak - that was truly truly beautiful. You romantic you! (Lots and lots and lots of laughter from me.)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@jjraak - that was truly truly beautiful. You romantic you! (Lots and lots and lots of laughter from me.)

ha-ha..so glad you enjoyed it.:D

it's the humour and viewpoint that gets us through so many tricky days, don't you think @AloeSvea

we only come this way once.
so maybe it's not about the cards we get dealt
it's how we play those cards to our best advantage,
that makes the difference, perhaps

i remember your post re the Sulaco (aliens)
the story was the same from you re facts etc, but i was impressed by the humour in your outlook
so guessed/hoped you might find it amusing...:happy:

Last edited:

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As I started this thread, I thought I should read the writer Hannah Smothers's other articles on keto, and her e-zine (VICE, US, which is quite good actually, and has a transparent editorial/advertising policy, which means Smothers, if they are genuinely being transparent, is just really really really anti-Keto.)

I clicked on the emormous amount of links in her article, and I have come to the conclusion she has lots of low-caribng Keto friends that she has gone out to lunch with, and the restrictions like, seriously p*** her off. I can't remember which link this is - I think it is the unsustainability one -

"Like most other diets, keto’s best advertisers are the people painfully dragging themselves through its rigorous limits: No carbs, no sugars, no alcohol, no joy, etc."

OK, that sounds like the opposite of sexy to me. And where did she get the no alcohol from? Not to mention no joy.

I think the sexy comes from cheese and bacon actually, which gets special mention from her - as in being able to eat it and maintain lower weight, or lose weight, is like, a slap in the face - cos many folks find bacon and cheese very yummy.

"Keto followers are supposed to obtain 75 percent of their calories through fats, like meat (and bacon!!!). Itinerant dieters are inordinately thrilled by this, maybe because most diets don’t afford them any category of food from which they can eat “anything” they want, or maybe because it’s an extremely sharp shift away from the “Fats Are Evil” discourse that dominated the 90s. “Yes, I can eat all the cheese I want!!!!” may as well be the unofficial slogan of keto, even though eating all the cheese one wants isn’t a wise or sustainable choice, and overeating—even keto-approved foods—will still cause weight gain."

Inordinately thrilled. Hmmm. I have been very close to someone (not at all a sexy relationship!) who had been brought up in a dour religious culture, and she used to say, "it is possible to have too much fun", so perhaps the cheese and bacon thing is like unfettered sexual activity for Smothers (and her editor must be very sympathetic to allow so many anti-Keto articles in one e-zine Health section).

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
ha-ha..so glad you enjoyed it.:D

it's the humour and viewpoint that gets us through so many tricky days, don't you think @AloeSvea

we only come this way once.
so maybe it's not about the cards we get dealt
it's how we play those cards to our best advantage,
that makes the difference, perhaps

i remember your post re the Sulaco (aliens)
the story was the same from you re facts etc, but i was impressed by the humour in your outlook
so guessed/hoped you might find it amusing...:happy:

Yes indeed! Humour is great!

You read my Sulaco thing? and enjoyed the 'Aliens' thing? Oh that's nice! If I met Smothers out at a bar or a cafe I would in fact tell her if she thinks Keto is a drag, try deliberately eating too little for two months - twice! (I didn't click on her 'diabetes' link... I'm still eating my - keto - buns for breakfast...)

If it is hard to impress about low carbing health benefits, imagine impressing upon her the seriousness of a diabetes diagnosis - and the fact that a third of folks in many countries are now blood glucose disordered! I would imagine it could be entertaining to watch her eyes glaze over, as she reached for the bread, the pasta, the soda - or whatever it is that she is desperately clinging on to (I am drawing on people in my own life's reactions to sticking to the LFHC way of eating here, and really have no idea how Smothers really is, maybe that isn't even her real name? :D.)

Reactions: jjraak

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, i did..and liked it..:D

as for the glazed over look...

been there..done that.

Now have a rep for having joined some 'cult'..:rolleyes:

so i no longer engage with those who need teaching..(does anyone need to know what they don't seek ?)
i only explain further to those who show an interest after initial outline of why i do what i do.

surprisingly it's the youngers who are most interested.

when i spoke to fellow aged T2's, they listened glazed then ignored...lol
and i guess went back to the eatwell and injections, sadly

Reactions: Lotties

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Is the 'cult' a keto cult? Wo ho! So we keto-way-of-eating-ists are cultists/cult members here in this sub-forum - cooooool! :D.

I'm listening to you closely on the no longer engaging with folks who need educating thing, @jjraak. I am very torn on this subject. I fear that you are right, but am very drawn to the persuasive thing...

So you identify as aged? :). And looking at your numbers, you would be a 'MARD' in the Swedish definitions... (mild age related diabetes).

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is the 'cult' a keto cult? Wo ho! So we keto-way-of-eating-ists are cultists/cult members here in this sub-forum - cooooool! :D.

I'm listening to you closely on the no longer engaging with folks who need educating thing, @jjraak. I am very torn on this subject. I fear that you are right, but am very drawn to the persuasive thing...

So you identify as aged? :). And looking at your numbers, you would be a 'MARD' in the Swedish definitions... (mild age related diabetes).
My wife and daughter kid me this forum is a Cult, and I've been inducted into it..lol

I quite like that... Always been a bit of a rebel.

Yes, I too would love to educate many, but so few want to listen, so ho hum..I leave them to their blissful happiness.

Aged.?... Well I crept into my 6th decade last year... But still going strong...lol

I guess age IS just a number.:D

Reactions: VashtiB

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks, my partner is very sweet and sends me heaps of anti-Keto articles, just to 'know thy enemy' keep me informed, and there are so many I don't usually take especial notice. But this one was so amusing I just had to post and hear what fellow keto WOE-ers had do to say -

Where does the idea that a way of eating is "fun and flirty" come from? Any ideas? :D

https://www.vice.com/en_in/article/z3bv94/keto-diet-experts-rank-best
Most of what she posts on Pinterest is vegan. She is not declared as a vegan, but publishes a lot on this diet, probably because VICE.com is a vegan media outlet and she is editor-in-chief, She comments on her favourite local eaterie that happens to be vegan. Never seen keto as being touted as fun and flirty though, so I supect editorial nuance here

Edit to add: there is a fad diet using keto principles that the hollywood celebrities took up and pushed for a while, which was the raspberry keto diet, which consisted 100% of just raspberries and water. That diet was rightfully panned as being unsustainable and poor nutrition, I wonder if she is getting confused, even though she does mention epilepsy and diabetes.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Raspberry Keto diet? Goodness! Where is the fat in raspberries and water? Never ceases to amaze me how some folks can just get things so wrong! Thanks for the info @Oldvatr.

And the writer Hannah Smothers is a vegan? A closet one in this context? (I am an advocate of journalists openly stating their biases.) Ah! Well. I admire vegans and vegetarians hugely, but such a way of eating would not be sustainable for me.

My actual attitude is salads and veg generally make a great garnish for the meaty fishy stuff. It's summer here in Kiwiland, and I am ripping through a cheap no-sugar aioli for the salads and coleslaws, so I can actually feel full on them. (For the salads my sister in law brought for the xmas feast - bottles of heaps-of-sugar-added-processed salad dressings - soooooo sad!)

At least the fake keto starvation diet used low-carb raspberries? I realised at a lunch date yesterday, when I got offered sugar in my coffee, apple juice, bread, and there were sun-dried tomatoes in the - yes - salad (and the dressing tasted suspiciously sweet, but I kept my mouth shut), from a womanfriend who we discuss health issues and ways of eatings constantly in our friendship, and she absolutely knows about my type two carb intolerance - that the high sugar, let alone high carb way of eating, is just super big-time, even for otherwise health conscious people.

She did get embarrassed when she remembered. I think, about her own sugar consumption - she felt 'sprung'. Which is a bit sad, really.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My wife and daughter kid me this forum is a Cult, and I've been inducted into it..lol

I quite like that... Always been a bit of a rebel.

Yes, I too would love to educate many, but so few want to listen, so ho hum..I leave them to their blissful happiness.

Aged.?... Well I crept into my 6th decade last year... But still going strong...lol

I guess age IS just a number.:D

The forum is the cult? Wo ho! Well, the fun and flirty could have been part of your 'induction'? :). I remember from my youth that the scientologists on the main street in Auckland, and the cult members I had befriend me at one time when I was living alone in Sydney - were all rather on the attractive side - not an accident I believe? Not unlike Brunneria's 'just drawn that way'? (I'm just kidding Brunneria! I love that avatar.)

No, we can safely say romance/sex/flirtation is not used on this forum to lure forum members :D. If it has been - I have seriously missed it! Ditto as a lure to the Keto way of eating.

Re the aged thing, as in at what age is 'aged' ? (I would say your 60s is not aged!) I should e-ask the Swedish endos at Lund Uni to find out (unless someone else knows already?), as that is a good point for those Swedish diabetes categories I alone on this forum it seems, like so much. :). But the Swedes would be very direct in their reply, I am quite sure. I know my favourite Aunt and I decided completely unscientifically that those in their 70s these days were not 'elderly', that 'elderly' starts in your 80s (yes, of course she is still in her 70s.) But perhaps more scientifically - the 70s are in fact 'aged'? Just posing the idea.

Re education - are they blissfully happy? Left in ignorance or denial? (Gosh - I do sound like a cult member!!!!)