borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22673594

METHODS:

Three hundred and sixty-three overweight and obese participants were recruited from the Al-Shaab Clinic for a 24-wk diet intervention trial; 102 of them had type 2 diabetes. The participants were advised to choose LCD or LDKD, depending on their preference. Body weight, body mass index, changes in waist circumference, blood glucose level, changes in hemoglobin and glycosylated hemoglobin, total cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, triglycerides, uric acid, urea and creatinine were determined before and at 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, and 24 wk after the administration of the LCD or LCKD. The initial dose of some antidiabetic medications was decreased to half and some were discontinued at the beginning of the dietary program in the LCKD group. Dietary counseling and further medication adjustment were done on a biweekly basis.
RESULTS:

The LCD and LCKD had beneficial effects on all the parameters examined. Interestingly, these changes were more significant in subjects who were on the LCKD as compared with those on the LCD. Changes in the level of creatinine were not statistically significant.
CONCLUSION:

This study shows the beneficial effects of a ketogenic diet over the conventional LCD in obese diabetic subjects. The ketogenic diet appears to improve glycemic control. Therefore, diabetic patients on a ketogenic diet should be under strict medical supervision because the LCKD can significantly lower blood glucose levels.

Defren

Re: Ketogenic Diet Superior to Low Calorie Diet for Obese T

You know I am going to have to agree completely with this. I have lived on a ketogenic diet since March and from being at a place where I couldn't admit even to myself I was obese, I reached a normal 25 BMI yesterday by having this lifestyle. While many don't agree with it, my BG is low and stable all the time, my weight has come of and I am a different person all together.

I was and am very carb intolerant and even a small raise in carbs is enough to send my BG skywards, so in many ways I had no choice but to have a ketogenic diet. If diabetes was curable and I were cured tomorrow, I would still remain on this diet, as I know that carbs in any quantity make me fat, make me feel sluggish and ill, and are really empty calories. I can get all the nutrients my body needs from other foods and not feel so ill, or gain weight. I have said this before to much criticism but I am going to say it again because it what I believe, carbohydrates are poison to humans and animals alike!