Ketones

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wrote a post about my bloods being high all the time (I'm awaiting latest results) I am current on sr metformin only but someone messaged me about testing for ketones when my bloods are high does anyone have anymore info on this like who should test? How often ? And where can i buy a meter if I need one ?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask how your daily readings are looking? I am guessing that you are concerned about ketone levels with regard to Diabetic Ketoacidosis rather than nutritional ketosis?

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
May I ask how your daily readings are looking? I am guessing that you are concerned about ketone levels with regard to Diabetic Ketoacidosis rather than nutritional ketosis?
They have been consistently high around the 20 mark I wasn't worried about ketones until someone on another post suggested I test for them I always thought ketones was a problem for type 1 and rarely seen in type 2 so just wanted extra info

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Higher ketone levels coupled with high blood glucose levels can be a problem for Type 2 also. If you are not scheduled to see a health care professional soon then I would urge you to make an appointment, readings into the twenties must be addressed with some urgency. Please do not misunderstand, there is a chance that your ketone levels are just fine but your glucose levels certainly arn't.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yeah I know that it is being looked at my doctors know they have been high should get my results today

Fingers crossed that you get things sorted. Please let us know how you get on. Take it steady.

Reactions: Wayne18000
M

Member496333

Not to dismiss your obvious metabolic problem of having blood glucose in the 20~ range, but as a type 2 I wouldn’t immediately worry about DKA. If you start losing weight whilst having high blood glucose then this would likely indicate falling insulin levels which will bring about a rise in ketones as your body oxidises fat.

Reactions: Hungry19

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Juju13 - It'd be good to hear from you when you've seen your Doc, to hear what his conclusions are.

In the meantime, if you have concerns, or feel unwell, if you can't be in contact with your usual medics, then a call to 111 could be worthwhile.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Juju13 - It'd be good to hear from you when you've seen your Doc, to hear what his conclusions are.

In the meantime, if you have concerns, or feel unwell, if you can't be in contact with your usual medics, then a call to 111 could be worthwhile.
Thanks I feel fine got no symptoms even when my bloods are high I don't feel diffrent if I didn't test I wouldn't know I was high and if I went to a and e every time I was high I would be there every day they were talking on putting me on diffrent meds at some point because I don't get on with metformin to well on high doses so we will.just have to wait and see

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Not to dismiss your obvious metabolic problem of having blood glucose in the 20~ range, but as a type 2 I wouldn’t immediately worry about DKA. If you start losing weight whilst having high blood glucose then this would likely indicate falling insulin levels which will bring about a rise in ketones as your body oxidises fat.
I am losing weight but not at an alarming rate and I wasn't worried just curious because someone said I should test them I was just looking for clarification

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I feel fine got no symptoms even when my bloods are high I don't feel diffrent if I didn't test I wouldn't know I was high and if I went to a and e every time I was high I would be there every day they were talking on putting me on diffrent meds at some point because I don't get on with metformin to well on high doses so we will.just have to wait and see

Juju - There are many, many, many options for meds for helping to manage T2. One things the vast majority of T2s do find is that what they eat and drink has most impact on how their numbers perform.

Have you tweaked your way of eating at all since you were diagnosed? Some folks find they have identifiable foods that act like blood sugar rocket fuel, giving then apparently disproportionately higher levels.

M

Member496333

I am losing weight but not at an alarming rate and I wasn't worried just curious because someone said I should test them I was just looking for clarification

If you’re losing weight whilst having blood glucose in the twenties then in my view you would be well advised to seek medical opinion.

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Juju - There are many, many, many options for meds for helping to manage T2. One things the vast majority of T2s do find is that what they eat and drink has most impact on how their numbers perform.

Have you tweaked your way of eating at all since you were diagnosed? Some folks find they have identifiable foods that act like blood sugar rocket fuel, giving then apparently disproportionately higher levels.
Yes I have changed my eating habits although my stress levels are through the roof which I think contributes

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I have changed my eating habits although my stress levels are through the roof which I think contributes
If you don't mind, could you be more specific on what you're eating? What's considered healthy for normal people, often isn't for T2's. (Like potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit, corn....) Hence the question. With both high bloodsugars and ketones present, there's something off, somewhere... Maybe we can help?

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you don't mind, could you be more specific on what you're eating? What's considered healthy for normal people, often isn't for T2's. (Like potatoes, bread, rice, pasta, cereal, fruit, corn....) Hence the question. With both high bloodsugars and ketones present, there's something off, somewhere... Maybe we can help?
I don't have ketones at least I don't think I do I've never tested for them I eat small portion and changed out any carbs I have for healthier ones like wholemeal pasta etc only thing that has changed since I was diagnosed it my abnormal need for 8ce cold drink thirsty all the time hence why my bloods are being checked I feel like this thread is going of the topic I wanted answer to I just wanted the reasoning behind me someone saying I needed to be checking my ketones before I shell out any money

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have ketones at least I don't think I do I've never tested for them I eat small portion and changed out any carbs I have for healthier ones like wholemeal pasta etc only thing that has changed since I was diagnosed it my abnormal need for 8ce cold drink thirsty all the time hence why my bloods are being checked I feel like this thread is going of the topic I wanted answer to I just wanted the reasoning behind me someone saying I needed to be checking my ketones before I shell out any money

Wholemeal doesn't really matter... It's still carbs, it'll still make your bg rise... For T2's, there are no healthy carbs, they practically all impact our bloodsugars negatively, as carbs are turned to glucose once ingested. Same thing with brown and white rice, brown and white bread etc... It's still going to make you spike, wholemeal or no. If you're thirsty all the time, that may be why; your body's trying to get rid of the excess sugar.

Anyway, now that I get the original question:
Ketones are checked usually by T1's to keep an eye on possible keto-acidosis. (If your bloodsugars are high, and the ketones are too, it gets toxic pretty quick. As in, deadly.) And it's checked by people who start following a ketogenic diet to check if they're in ketosis. (In which case ketones in blood and urine are actually welcomed and not toxic.). Basically, maybe someone was concerned about your numbers and wanted to be sure you didn't get ketoacidosis, which doesn't usually happen for T2's anyway. Unless in extraordinary situations, like if you're on steroids and not eating. From what I understand, anyway. But if you're not vomiting yourself inside out, or feeling otherwise ill or weak... Wouldn't worry overmuch about ketones or testing for them, then.

Reactions: Hungry19

Juju13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wholemeal doesn't really matter... It's still carbs, it'll still make your bg rise... For T2's, there are no healthy carbs, they practically all impact our bloodsugars negatively, as carbs are turned to glucose once ingested. Same thing with brown and white rice, brown and white bread etc... It's still going to make you spike, wholemeal or no. If you're thirsty all the time, that may be why; your body's trying to get rid of the excess sugar.

Anyway, now that I get the original question:
Ketones are checked usually by T1's to keep an eye on possible keto-acidosis. (If your bloodsugars are high, and the ketones are too, it gets toxic pretty quick. As in, deadly.) And it's checked by people who start following a ketogenic diet to check if they're in ketosis. (In which case ketones in blood and urine are actually welcomed and not toxic.). Basically, maybe someone was concerned about your numbers and wanted to be sure you didn't get ketoacidosis, which doesn't usually happen for T2's anyway. Unless in extraordinary situations, like if you're on steroids and not eating. From what I understand, anyway. But if you're not vomiting yourself inside out, or feeling otherwise ill or weak... Wouldn't worry overmuch about ketones or testing for them, then.
That's the answer I want and to clarify I know about the carbs which is why I don't have much and before all this high sugar results I could tolerate a slice of wholemeal toast without spiking just recently lada has been mentioned though but we will see what happens

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the answer I want and to clarify I know about the carbs which is why I don't have much and before all this high sugar results I could tolerate a slice of wholemeal toast without spiking just recently lada has been mentioned though but we will see what happens
LADA may be a whole different ballgame and then I think ketones would be of interest.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Juju13

You've had plenty of comments on ketones, but there is something else I wanted to mention.
It is a condition that is far more likely to occur in T2s than in T1s, and it is called (rather memorably) HONK
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/hyperglycaemic-hyperosmolar-nonketotic-coma.html

T1s are more likely to develop ketoacidosis, because it occurs when blood glucose is high AND there are low/insufficient levels of insulin.

In contrast, HONK is more likely to occur in T2s. They usually (but not always) have enough insulin around to prevent ketoacidosis, but the combination of high blood glucose and high insulin can potentially result in a coma (HONK). And because medical staff are trained to look for ketones when blood glucose is high, they sometimes take a while to recognise and diagnose HONK.

The symptoms of HONK are thirst, high urination, disorientation and nausea.
But prior to reaching the coma stage, patients can experience Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome
Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes...smolar-hyperglycemic-nonketotic-syndrome.html
Which has a similar list of symptoms, also including dry mouth, warm skin without sweating, feverishness and weakness.

I would urge you to contact your healthcare team with a view to getting your blood glucose down urgently.
You (and they) get to choose whether this is achieved by medication, diet and/or lifestyle changes, but the longer you run with high blood glucose, the more risks you run of HHNS or HONK, and the greater your risk of longer term diabetic complications.

I am not posting this to distress you, or worry you. But rather to make you aware of non-ketone related conditions that may affect any T2 with such raised blood glucose.