Ketosis

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
wait.....................have I missed this, or forgotten this?

we count the grams of protein in our meat or whatever, not the total weight of the chop or egg or whatever? how do I find the protein part please?

I miss my brain cells : )

Reactions: SueJB

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

we count the grams of protein in our meat or whatever, not the total weight of the chop or egg or whatever? how do I find the protein part please?

Same way we find the total carbs .... on the nutrition label or from Carbs & Cals, or from the supermarket website, or even from the growers/farmers/producers association websites.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I find that too much protein impacts my fasting blood glucose levels, but it doesn’t throw me out of ketosis. Seems to vary between individuals.
How do you you're in ketosis? Do you test your ketones?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
That is certainly my experience. Except when fasting my ketone levels are usually sub 1.0 mmol usually around 0.5.
When fasting they can go a lot higher.

Edit to add.. this might of course because I am having so much protein.. lightbulb moment.. but I'm afraid I enjoy carnivory too much to stop!
Last time I tested it was 0.7, not all that good really. I know there's a cline between nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis and that optimal ketosis is 1.5 to 3mmol/L which is supposed to maximise fat burning. When diagnosed I was 4.8. I was super strict and the powers that be just thought, "yeah diabetes" and not a product of following a good diet

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

I miss my brain cells too. I look in my cals and carb book

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How do you you're in ketosis? Do you test your ketones?

Yes. I have a meter (Caresens Dual) which reads ketones. Don’t test very often as the strips are very expensive. Meter is free from Spirit Healthcare and you get a couple of free ketone strips and 10 free BG strips (I use the SD Codefree for BG readings though).

Reactions: SueJB

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I tested it was 0.7, not all that good really. I know there's a cline between nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis and that optimal ketosis is 1.5 to 3mmol/L which is supposed to maximise fat burning. When diagnosed I was 4.8. I was super strict and the powers that be just thought, "yeah diabetes" and not a product of following a good diet
But in Type 1's I thought that ketoacidosis requires high ketones and very high blood sugars (no insulin)?

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
But in Type 1's I thought that ketoacidosis requires high ketones and very high blood sugars (no insulin)?
Not sure, it's something I'm going to check out with the consultant next week. From what I have gleaned, my 4.8 put me into what is called starvation ketosis but not ketoacidosis. I just wasn't eating enough

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Not necessarily. There's a rare version called euglycaemic dka which can occur without high bg if a few bad things happen at the wrong times.

Can't find the link now, but there was a quite disturbing post a few weeks back when a T1 posted describing symptoms which chimed a lot with the symptoms and causes described in the link below - chills, nausea, fasting, lots of water, still taking basal.

She was worried about high ketones, but had ok bg.

She was, irresponsibly in my view, and despite others, including me, telling her to see emergency services immediately, reassured by a keto person, that because she didn't have high bg, she didn't have to worry about dka at all, even though the other symptoms she posted about went way beyond keto flu and seemed to suggest that euglycaemic dka might be a possibility.

Nutritional ketosis is an option for experienced people but, hmm, not so simple for T1 newbies.

Here's the link referred to above:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488998/

merlo

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only

Almost all the foods that are thought of as protein (meat, eggs, cheese, fish - not tofu) have 7g of protein per oz. of protein containing food. So you should be able to do the math on most of these foods w/out having to look it up.

merlo

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
Diet only
I've read that to get into ketosis, you have to watch the amount of protein you eat. I've also read that it should be limited to 1g per kilo of weight. Any thoughts on this please? @bulkbiker you seem to be the person who knows lots about this, any ideas?
Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek (who have published the vast majority of research on nutritional ketosis) advocate 1.2-1.7g/kilo per day. You shouldn't eat that all at once- split it up into your meals. Too much protein WILL kick you out of ketosis, but at the same time, you want enough to maintain your lean mass.