Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
See http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/gfr/tab/test/

What does the test result mean?

The eGFR helps to detect kidney disease in its early stages more reliably than the creatinine test alone. Because the calculation works best for estimating reduced kidney function, the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) suggests only reporting actual results once values are < 60 mL/min (they state normal values as 90-120 mL/min). An eGFR below 60 mL/min suggests that some kidney damage has occurred.

The NKF recommends that everyone "know their GFR number." A person's eGFR should be intepreted in relation to the person's clinical history and presenting conditions, utilizing the following table:

Kidney damage stage -- description
1 Normal or minimal kidney damage with normal GFR = 90+
2 Mild decrease in GFR = 60-89
3 Moderate decrease in GFR = 30-59
4 Severe decrease in GFR = 15-29
5 Kidney failure GFR<15​

Other findings are necessary to show kidney disease:
Protein or albumin in urine are high, cells or casts seen in urine
-----------------
My latest results (last week) GFR = 63, so no change over more than 10 years. Urine tests are OK.

Unless you have diagnosed problems, I don't think you need worry about diet - but there is no need for high protein to replace carbs, & as fat has double the calories of carbs, maintaining energy shouldn't be a problem once your body has adjusted. I have plenty of vegetables - especially nuts in powder form used for low carb, high fat "porridge" & cake.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Note that eGFR is not the same test as GFR, though the results use the same scale. eGFR is an estimate of GFR using blood tests. GFR is a direct kidney filtration test similar to dialysis.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Note that eGFR is not the same test as GFR, though the results use the same scale. eGFR is an estimate of GFR using blood tests. GFR is a direct kidney filtration test similar to dialysis.
The article cited is about eGFR, & numbers are eGFR .

Reactions: 2 people

mo534

I am left in a quandry over under performing kidney I am 65 and have had Type 2 for over 10 years and always controlled with diet. My sugar levels went up after I suffered a double bereavement losing my only grandchild at the age of 18 and my husband of 45 years at the age of 63 only 7 weeks later. Obviously the last thing on my mind was sugar levels but I went for my annual check last year and sugar levels had gone up from 48 to 66 and they wanted me to take metformin. I asked them to give me 12 months to see if I could bring it down and I have brought it down to 56 which I know is still high about 9.2 but a good improvement in 1 year and my blood pressure which I take tablets for was fine. The problem I have is they say that my kindey function has dropped from 48 to 43 and want me to go on metformin I agreed and got 2 weeks supply but before taking them looked at leaflet and first thing I seen was there was a serious side affect with a life threatening disease and this was more prominent in people with low kidney function. So I got in touch with doctor and told her my concerns and she took them of my prescription and suggested I try medication called Gulpin I think which she said would be better. I have not gone for prescription yet but this one had serious side effect on pancreatitis and pacratic cancern. So given that I feel fine in myself both medications have serious side effect and lots of usual ones like diarroah and stomach cramps and I am only just getting back to stage in my life where I am actually functioning after losing my husband and granddaughter do I wait another year and see if my diet is working and hope kidney function does not decrease or any more or do I take the tablets that offer lots of minor side effects and some very serious ones as well.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am left in a quandry over under performing kidney I am 65 and have had Type 2 for over 10 years and always controlled with diet. My sugar levels went up after I suffered a double bereavement losing my only grandchild at the age of 18 and my husband of 45 years at the age of 63 only 7 weeks later. Obviously the last thing on my mind was sugar levels but I went for my annual check last year and sugar levels had gone up from 48 to 66 and they wanted me to take metformin. I asked them to give me 12 months to see if I could bring it down and I have brought it down to 56 which I know is still high about 9.2 but a good improvement in 1 year and my blood pressure which I take tablets for was fine. The problem I have is they say that my kindey function has dropped from 48 to 43 and want me to go on metformin I agreed and got 2 weeks supply but before taking them looked at leaflet and first thing I seen was there was a serious side affect with a life threatening disease and this was more prominent in people with low kidney function. So I got in touch with doctor and told her my concerns and she took them of my prescription and suggested I try medication called Gulpin I think which she said would be better. I have not gone for prescription yet but this one had serious side effect on pancreatitis and pacratic cancern. So given that I feel fine in myself both medications have serious side effect and lots of usual ones like diarroah and stomach cramps and I am only just getting back to stage in my life where I am actually functioning after losing my husband and granddaughter do I wait another year and see if my diet is working and hope kidney function does not decrease or any more or do I take the tablets that offer lots of minor side effects and some very serious ones as well.

Hi Mo - You have responded to a very old thread, which is absolutely fine, but you are probably more likely get more responses if you start a thread of your own. I can do that for you by moving your post if you like.

Just let me know, by tagging me, or any of the other Mods. To tag us, just type the @ symbol immediately before our user name and we will be notified.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@mo.moran Welcome to the forum. Many of us have found that our kidney function improves with a low carb higher fat diet. Just be careful to increase fat if you are hungry, not protein, too much protein can exacerbate existing kidney problems. Drink plenty of water. My own kidney function went up from 63 to > 90 in a few months. I hope this works for you too.

Reactions: kokhongw

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My kidney function improved from GFR 67 to >90 whilst following LCHF. My doctor told me it might worsen. He was wrong. That's my experience, of course yours may well be different.

mine went from 64 to 90+ on standard meat/ sat fat based lchf

Reactions: zand