Konjac rice and pasta

ZedS59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
housework
Good morning everyone. Does anyone have any experience of eating Konjac rice or pasta? I have just discovered that it is dairy free, gluten free, fat free, sugar free, low carb etc and wondered if anyone has advice or experience with this product?

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. Does anyone have any experience of eating Konjac rice or pasta? I have just discovered that it is dairy free, gluten free, fat free, sugar free, low carb etc and wondered if anyone has advice or experience with this product?
It's also flavor free, haha. Seriously though, that makes it rather versatile. Just add whatever flavor you want to give it. Don't forget to rinse it though, otherwise it'll smell decidedly fishy.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
The rice is okay but its bland and has to be seasoned with something. The smell put me off at first but if you run them under the tap in a sieve it will dissipate. I found they bloated me out good style so only have the now and again and prefer cauliflower rice now.

• Informative
Reactions: EllieM

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots love it but it gives me a really bad tummy, I was in agony for a couple of days after eating it. To be honest any low carb veg as a carrier for sauces such as curry or pasta sauces is far tastier

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use them occasionally as noodles in a stir fry, but prefer Cauliflower "rice" or Courgetti, but yes to many upsets my digestive system

• Agree
Reactions: Lainie71

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the taste or the processed nature of it, nor the cost.
Bought it once, never again

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bought once to try

Dislike fish, so smell very off putting.

Wouldn't buy again.

As said, courgetti or similar, much better alternatives imho.

On the point of 'cauliflower rice'

At first I was trying to recreate standard recipes without using standard ingredients...(aka rice & pasta)

But it's all bit too 'fiddly' for me , so I gave up.

I now see myself making the main dish (curry, Bolognese, con carne)
And adding something to bulk it out.

Cauliflower I now slice roughly, place in baking trays dusting of turmeric, & roast in the oven 30 odd minutes.

Curry goes alongside or on top , much tastier imho then plain cauli-rice.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: HSSS

ZedS59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
housework
Many thanks for all your responses. I think I will be avoiding it!

niblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I order some of the Konjac rice and pasta replacements, tried it once and haven't used it again as I didn't like the taste or the texture. Cauliflower rice is better but my go-to for rice replacement with curries now is beansprouts.

I've also got some of the "keto" pasta and rice and they're a lot better than the Konjac stuff but quite expensive (and still a bit bland). The ones I have are called NLCKitchen and available from Amazon.

• Informative
Reactions: jjraak and mojo37

Munkki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sometimes use konjac pasta, especially for pasta dishes that allow me to easily fry them, for example recipe just using pancetta, garlic etc. I don't like mixing them as they are with sauce.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I order some of the Konjac rice and pasta replacements, tried it once and haven't used it again as I didn't like the taste or the texture. Cauliflower rice is better but my go-to for rice replacement with curries now is beansprouts.

I've also got some of the "keto" pasta and rice and they're a lot better than the Konjac stuff but quite expensive (and still a bit bland). The ones I have are called NLCKitchen and available from Amazon.
I might try beansprouts and pretend :)

Ladynijo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quite like the noodles, but the rice is a bit meh. The variety I use is usually Bare Naked noodles/rice and Holland & Barrett have another type with Fettucine & spaghetti, often on offer.

It does need a good rinse before use as there is a distinct odour, and a lot of people don’t care for that. Also for some people it doesn’t suit their digestion and they get wind/upset. I’m lucky in that it does neither and I find it a tolerable alternative to the real thing. Particularly like spag bog with the fettuccine and the noodles are just the job in a home made ramen.

If I’m out of it, I use cauliflower for rice and spiralised courgettes for noodles. Although I wish I could find a decent spiraliser.

• Informative